Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-03-2015, 08:23 AM   #29
87GNX

Drives: Alot
Quote:
Originally Posted by GossipSquirrelJelena View Post
I think your dead wrong in my opinion. Most people don't buy Camaros for performance. They buy because they want a pretty looking car. That's why the 6 Cylinder Camaro outsells the SS! Also why the Ecoboost Mustang is selling like crazy. The 5th gen design is getting old and the six gen for all it's awesome new technology looks just like the old car it's replacing. Your probably to young to remember the 4th gen Camaro. They absolutely destroyed the Mustang in performance but GM couldn't sell those to save their lives!
This....most people do not care about a couple of tenths or so. The 2011-2014 5.0s were faster than 5th gen camaros yet the camaro still outsold it. 2015 Mustang is a new fresh design, the 6th gen camaro looks too much like a 5th, yet I like it.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:31 AM   #30
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantemcc View Post
I see your point. I'm just of the mindset that, if I buy a muscle car, I want it to be a muscle car. I.E. A camaro. Not to be pumping up a car that I own. But I prefer the Camaro over its competitors because it's still a muscle car. There's nothing sports car-ish about it. I've driven every version except the Z/28 and 1le and to me, they all have the same personality.
I see your point on that

But the average consumer when looking at these cars they just look at them as sporty cars or sports cars. So giving them a more "sports car" feel will boost sales to the average buyer
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:43 AM   #31
HeavyIOM

Drives: 2010 SS, 2000 Pontiac Formula
Numbers are about how I expected them to be. Looks like "the Mustang is ugly, looks like a fusion, no one will buy it!" Stuff can be put to rest finally!
HeavyIOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:44 AM   #32

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Yeah, a lot to try and figure out what is going on....I'm glad it's not my job to figure out why people buy what they do...lol...

I've argued that the 6thGen is too similar to the 5th....yet the Challenger has been practically the same and is now higher than ever...lol...

All in all I think Camaro has held up well...5thGen sales are still decent...but I'm sure they would have liked to see a larger percentage of sales...Mustang looks like it has drawn a lot more buyers into this segment of cars...I'm sure the 6th Gen will get it's share of new buyers as well...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:48 PM   #33
shine2013

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
1. its the new car in the segment so sales are going to be high simply because of that.

2. I would bet your comment "feels more like a sports car than a muscle car" has a lot to do with it. Probably attracting a lot of new buyers with that.

What surprised me was the big jump in Camaro sales last month. That's great that its still selling but after a few slow months I wonder what brought the big jump of almost 3k more cars in may than april
#2 is definitely the case. I know a couple of women who bought the new mustang, because it was "cute", "didn't look like a Mustang", and they "felt good while driving it."
Old 06-03-2015, 02:07 PM   #34
Ernest T

Drives: 2014 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantemcc View Post
What is it about the Mustang that has people hooked onto it? Its a nice car, I'll give it that. But after spending a few days with the new 5.0, imo it feels more like a sports car than it does a muscle car. But a nice car nonetheless
Having an independent rear suspension for the first time has to help that feel. Some people like to go around corners.
Ernest T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:14 PM   #35
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
One thing for sure is this segment is growing. I'm curious to see what happens once the Camaro redesign comes out. If the others hold their numbers pretty well the performance car segment will be selling the best it has in decades.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:18 PM   #36
Ernest T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I saw a post on Facebook about it and now it's gone .. I guess it was a typo, or I misread it.. My bad.
Chevrolet has sold about 36,000 Stingrays each in 2014 and 2015. Pretty good numbers, but not near the number of Camaros sold. Makes sense at $55K vs $25K starting point.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:23 PM   #37
Ernest T

We are truly blessed by the number of high performance platforms available today. I'm afraid this may be the high water mark for internal combustion engines in automobiles with new CAFE and EPA regulations coming online in the next few years.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:32 PM   #38
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
I don't think camaro will ever catch the Mustang. Mustang sales are best ever in the segment!
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:24 PM   #39
Criticalmass

Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium
In Europe they call AMG Mercedes "Muscle Cars".

That phrase has been dragged through the mud by just about every car manufacturer out there.
Criticalmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:36 PM   #40
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT. Supercharged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criticalmass View Post
In Europe they call AMG Mercedes "Muscle Cars".

That phrase has been dragged through the mud by just about every car manufacturer out there.
Well if there is such a thing as a German muscle car I think AMG nailed it with those big V8s.
GossipSquirrelJelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:41 PM   #41
Jugdishian

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
1. its the new car in the segment so sales are going to be high simply because of that.

2. I would bet your comment "feels more like a sports car than a muscle car" has a lot to do with it. Probably attracting a lot of new buyers with that.

What surprised me was the big jump in Camaro sales last month. That's great that its still selling but after a few slow months I wonder what brought the big jump of almost 3k more cars in may than april
A lot of people are probably timing their order so they can get it in time for summer. I ordered my 1LE in march and took delivery in May.
Jugdishian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:12 PM   #42
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT. Supercharged.
I think sales of 5th gens should be consistent from here on out. Dealers are going to be motivated to move them and Chevy will most likely offer stout rebates on the car very soon.
GossipSquirrelJelena is offline   Reply With Quote