#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-04-2019, 03:43 PM   #57
Shawnqa800720

Drives: 2018 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
It really, really depends. I cant see just adding lowering springs to help track performance. You have some companies that are saying it's proven to help lap times, but with the 1LE having MRC, the valving of the shocks are designed to work with those tires and those springs. Needs to be the whole package.

For most casual trackers, i do not think they will see a lap time delta in changing springs. For the guys who have been turning consistent competitive lap times with this platform, who know the limits and control of the car, may actually see an increase in lap times if you just toss lowering springs on there as it will change the characteristics of the shocks (unless of course the spring rates are identical).

If you are interested in getting the best performance out of this car on track and are wrenching out tenths of seconds...leave the lowering springs to the cars and coffee attendees. Get your track alignment and go beat on the car.

That said, there is a difference to be had for the stock SS guys when you do the GM lowering kit. The shocks/struts are matched to the springs in a GM designed kit for the SS platform (Sway kit too). All the aftermarket set-ups are guessing (albeit differing degrees of well-educated guessing) - they may hit the mark. But for their kit, GM did do the testing required to prove the performance gains, and for a stock SS, they are impressive. Basic physics will show that lowering the center of gravity is nearly always a good thing for handling, but detailed engineering is required to ensure that the entirety of the suspension system is designed around the height change - often a missed point. Lowering for looks is a matter of personal preference. Lowering for performance is a matter for professional engineering.
2018 Red Hot 1SS, GM lowering kit & 1LE Sway bar kit, ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings, BMR sway bar end links, GM CAI w/tune, Pray ported IM, Mamo ported TB, VS Forged VS07 rims 20x11 & 20x10 w/ Michelin PS4S
Shawnqa800720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:23 PM   #58
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnqa800720 View Post
That said, there is a difference to be had for the stock SS guys when you do the GM lowering kit. The shocks/struts are matched to the springs in a GM designed kit for the SS platform (Sway kit too). All the aftermarket set-ups are guessing (albeit differing degrees of well-educated guessing) - they may hit the mark. But for their kit, GM did do the testing required to prove the performance gains, and for a stock SS, they are impressive. Basic physics will show that lowering the center of gravity is nearly always a good thing for handling, but detailed engineering is required to ensure that the entirety of the suspension system is designed around the height change - often a missed point. Lowering for looks is a matter of personal preference. Lowering for performance is a matter for professional engineering.
Absolutely agree (heck anything you do to your own vehicle is personal preference, except for camberGang crap, that's lame).

If there was a GM lowering kit tailored for the 1LE package, i would think it would not negatively alter track performance as I'm sure they would nail the rates. But like you said, aftermarket is guessing, unless it's a coilover kit with springs designed to work with that strut.

To the question i was answering, i don't think tossing one of those well educated guessed springs is a good idea for track performance. Wait for a 1LE spec lowering spring that is tailored for the MRC struts.

I for one found a set of DSSV's for relatively cheap that i'll be using in my track "build". It lowered about .5" all around, which i am happy about but was not my intentional way of lowering.
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:48 PM   #59
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR3KC View Post
So overall...reading through this...

I'm on the fence about doing springs. I'd only do it if it improved track performance. So the people that road course race...is it just worth it to only do the Track Alignment and it should be good?
the YYZ have proven track results, they the only brand that bothers to give in detail results. there were designed by a track team... but also lower less and cost a lot more... but they proved what you mention..

regarding the MRC, this needs to be recalibrated at the dealer for new ride height. Thats all.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:44 PM   #60
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Are the OEM springs linear, or progressive?
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:28 PM   #61
Move_Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
Are the OEM springs linear, or progressive?
Fronts are definitely progressive. Rear look linear, however they are probably a progressive spring as well.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:29 AM   #62
RyanR3KC
"1/LE Rebel Alliance"

Drives: 18 Black 1SS 1LE “Siouxsie
Quote:
Originally Posted by G2K View Post
the YYZ have proven track results, they the only brand that bothers to give in detail results. there were designed by a track team... but also lower less and cost a lot more... but they proved what you mention..

regarding the MRC, this needs to be recalibrated at the dealer for new ride height. Thats all.
I was reading up on BMR springs and that appeared to be the best option. I still haven't had her out on track yet due to the winter. Earliest would be April or May. I'm leaning towards keeping her stock and just do the track alignment. You have a link to the YYZ springs? or maybe i just missed it.
RyanR3KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:01 AM   #63
Move_Over

Quote:
I was reading up on BMR springs and that appeared to be the best option. I still haven't had her out on track yet due to the winter. Earliest would be April or May. I'm leaning towards keeping her stock and just do the track alignment. You have a link to the YYZ springs? or maybe i just missed it.
I would at least track it stock, that way when you do springs you have a baseline you can see if the springs changed laptimes at all.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:06 AM   #64
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Quote:
Here is the data i had read.

https://wildhammermotorsports.com/ca...ll-race-parts/

I'm on that boat too. I wont touch my suspention. I hate the wheel gap. But feel is more important that looks... If this car didnt feel the way it doest know, I've would own a base corvette at this moment.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:39 AM   #65
Move_Over

Quote:

I'm on that boat too. I wont touch my suspention. I hate the wheel gap. But feel is more important that looks... If this car didnt feel the way it doest know, I've would own a base corvette at this moment.
Same, i hate the wheel gap too. However, take a look at the ZR1 and Huracan wheel gap. Our's doesn't appear so bad lol.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:33 PM   #66
ToeKnee Sea

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
All this time and money to effect how the car looks standing still. I just don't get it... you do realize the car squats when it's moving forward, right? More so at speed. I do like staring at my car but not enough to mess with something the doesn't need messing with.
ToeKnee Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:43 PM   #67
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
Same, i hate the wheel gap too. However, take a look at the ZR1 and Huracan wheel gap. Our's doesn't appear so bad lol.
Ferrari's too for that matter. Fender gap is a visual thing. Manufacturers get the roll center, spring rates, and shock valving right and the fender gap is the least of their concerns.

They have to meet certain Federal regulations, I am not sure about sports cars, but I know with regular passenger cars then need a certain front bumper clearance and to be able to install snow chains/cables without issues.

When you mess with the ride height from the factory (especially on a sports car that is calibrated for best handling performance) you mess with all the things that the engineers designed into the car for its stock ride height like roll center, spring rates and shock valving curves.

Not sure about everyone else, but I think that GM did a pretty good job with the fender gap on the SS 1LE. See below pic. Now, if I look back at pics of my C5 Z06, now that WAS fender gap, looked like a damn 4X4.

Name:  IMG_8252.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  193.3 KB

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:43 PM   #68
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeKnee Sea View Post
All this time and money to effect how the car looks standing still. I just don't get it... you do realize the car squats when it's moving forward, right? More so at speed. I do like staring at my car but not enough to mess with something the doesn't need messing with.
yes, but we want more squat while moving.... also... if its able to handle better too. Thats what I said. would love to get ride of the gap, while maintaining or improving handling... just a reference zl1 1le IS lower and IS better... but then the complaints about hardness comes in... i wouldnt complain about that because thats a choice i would make.

Our cars a very very very good. but lets not act like its the best or that it is impossible to improve... its just the data isnt out there... and R&D $$ isnt for most companies... For example Eibach has a ton of $$$, R&D to be able to make something good for our cars... but they just went with 1 offering, they are actually the only company that has 1LE specific springs.... but not real world data to back up the reason why...

Me coming from the JDM world i feel like everything (better yet almost everything) in the domestic car market is halfass, its just here to get $$ out your pocket.

Look at Pray for example you know HOW MUCH RESEARCH that guy has put on to make things better and to provide real world data to consumers... while other companies with many more $$ and time for R&D just do 1 thing if any at all, that product sells and that's as far as it goes for them.

I think the car culture is less and less about being a car fanatic and more about your pockets... What a time to be alive.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:44 PM   #69
RyanR3KC
"1/LE Rebel Alliance"

Drives: 18 Black 1SS 1LE “Siouxsie
Quote:

Exactly. I'm in the camp that you should only do this if you're looking to improve performance and I plan on tracking this car a lot. The Camaro already feels ridiculously planted and the eLSD is the hidden gym of this car in my opinion.
RyanR3KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:46 PM   #70
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i didnt track my car stock but i did track my car with the afe power springs vs the powell yyz springs and the car drove and felt way better and didnt bottom out on hard dips/corners and was alot flatter