Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #85
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicator View Post
No...

you're either a fan or you're not. if not, don't get one.

THIS
Old 04-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #86
Ohten

Drives: Granite Crystal Challenger SRT
Go buy a mustang and leave the Camaro driving to us.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #87
LookingGlass
Future Chevy Owner

Drives: Impatiently waiting!!!
Send a message via Yahoo to LookingGlass
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairtrigger View Post
The Camaro is pure emotion, always has been, it's a hotrod. I think the OP should test drive a few more cars and find the one he can live with.

I've driven all kinds - Bullitt Editions, Rouch 427, Saleen 302SC (and she was oh so sweet), Challengers (new and old), a '70 Chevelle SS, an R8, a GTS RS, and a 360 Modena (yeah Euros aren't hot rods, but they're high performance). But Nothing has ever captured me like the Camaro. When the OP finds a car that can do that, he'll know it through and through. I 2nd test driving THEN forming opinions.

And I'll be honest, I nearly did buy a Mustang. Until I found out that the Camaro was making a come back.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #88
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE View Post
+1..have you (OP) even driven a GT500?
If you have seriously narrowed your choices down to a 5th Gen Camaro or a 2011 GT500...and price is not a factor...GT500 all day long IMO...the 2 cars are not even in the same category really.
But then again I think mainly in terms of power/straight line performance...
Looks with decent power..Camarro SS
Power with decent looks...GT500
If the Camaro had 550 HP out of the box....oh boy!
I honestly contemplated the same 2 cars(along with the Challenger). I've owned some pretty powerful cars including 2 SVT Cobras that I highly modified...I tend to get bored with cars pretty fast,which leads to me modding them to keep them interesting. For me it all came down to asthetics and price....for the money the Camaro was a win for me and I can honestly say that the Camaro has kept me more content than any car I have ever owned....so far it only has a CAI and a Cat-back and while I have only had it a few months that is a record for me....if I bought a GT500,even though it has way more power out of the box,I know by now it would have a Kenne Bell sitting under the hood...lol.
Believe it or not the Camaro is just so much fun to drive that I haven't felt the need for more power to make up for other short comings...it is alot of fun just like it is. Eventually that will probably come and it will make as much power or more than a stock GT500 and I'll still have less money in it than a GT500.

All cars have there quirks,heck all machines in general. Some things that 1 person likes another will not...i other words what might be a quirk to you I may like and vice versa.

As for the Camaros clutch FEEL....I have no issues with it really..it is hydraulic so it will feel a little strange if you are used to a tradtional clutch. And it is far from quirky nor is it hard to get used to...then again I am used to performance clutches that are very on/off.
You have driven the Camaro now go drive the GT500...it will have quirks as well...but maybe the 550 HP and the awsome TQ curve of the roots blower will cause you not to notice it's quirks.
And if you haven't already go over to the ModularFords forums and browse the threads over there...if the GT500 has any "quirks" than would be the place to read about them. I haven't been over there in a while,back when I did frequent the site the only real complaints I remember hearing about the 500 was that it was a dog...but those were coming from guys who were used to 600+RWHP Terminators.
awesome. Thanks for the insight. One thing I read was that they greatly improved the clutch on the 2010 GT500, so it doesn't require much effort (that's what the review said). I don't know what that means in comparison with the Camaro clutch.

I haven't driven a GT500, so I have to schedule a test drive of a Mustang GT to get a feel of what it's like to be in the cabin.

And I'm seriously contemplating getting the Z/28 if we can get any real news on it. If the Z/28 is coming out in 'late 2011', I honestly prefer not to wait (as that would mean I would only get to drive it in 2012) and I'm leaning toward getting the Gt500. If the Z comes out in Summer 2011, then I'd be leaning toward the Camaro.

So when you say "I remember hearing about the 500 was it was a dog" - what do you mean? Thanks.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #89
rez333

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingGlass View Post

I've driven all kinds - Bullitt Editions, Rouch 427, Saleen 302SC (and she was oh so sweet), Challengers (new and old), a '70 Chevelle SS, an R8, a GTS RS, and a 360 Modena (yeah Euros aren't hot rods, but they're high performance). But Nothing has ever captured me like the Camaro. When the OP finds a car that can do that, he'll know it through and through. I 2nd test driving THEN forming opinions.

And I'll be honest, I nearly did buy a Mustang. Until I found out that the Camaro was making a come back.
What exactly "captured" you about the Camaro compared to those amazing cars you've driven? Was it just the look, or the drive?
Old 04-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #90
armando416

Drives: Camaro 2SS IBM/Grand Prix
Probably better checking out the new GT if you really want to go the Mustang route, better for the price IMO.

I admit I will be test driving one just for the hell of it when the 11's hit the dealership. Don't plan on trading the Camaro though, even if the Mustang turns out to be a better driver's car, the Camaro just looks SO much cooler.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:08 PM   #91
rez333

Quote:
Originally Posted by armando416 View Post
Probably better checking out the new GT if you really want to go the Mustang route, better for the price IMO.

I admit I will be test driving one just for the hell of it when the 11's hit the dealership. Don't plan on trading the Camaro though, even if the Mustang turns out to be a better driver's car, the Camaro just looks SO much cooler.
what you're saying is very close to the dilemma I'm facing. Almost all reviewers (who obviously are more unbiased than fans) agree that the 2011 Mustangs drive better. The question is which will be more important to me in the end: looks or the drive. I think Mustangs in general look boring, but the Shelby has enough changes to its looks to look handsome. Not stand-out, but handsome.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #92
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
nope, think you've already convinced yourself you're going to buy the GT..and it's not going to attract any more attention in your already affluent neighborhood. Personally,
I'd get a green Lambo..
Old 04-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #93
Enator

Drives: 2011 SHELBY GT500 & Volvo S80
This is bumblebee camaro and if you dont have that feeling so don't look for this car
Old 04-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #94
rez333

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
nope, think you've already convinced yourself you're going to buy the GT..and it's not going to attract any more attention in your already affluent neighborhood. Personally,
I'd get a green Lambo..
what the heck is wrong with people who insist on judging me. How on earth would you know what I've convinced myself to do? I would have thought by my responses to the helpful replies, that I am not convinced.

I guess most of you really make decisions on impulse? One person even said that if I need to solicit opinions, I need to "grow up"? Actually it's the reverse: consulting opinions is a mark of wisdom, making impulsive close-minded decisions is the mark of immaturity.

For your information, the replies to this thread (the helpful ones) are making me reconsider (FYI, the OP never stated any conclusions). I am going to test drive the Mustang to get a better feel, but I am going to judge each car in an as unbiased way as possible, contrary to the advice to go with "gut feel" like some of you are suggesting.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #95
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
this is where you're wrong. Every single purchase I've made where I've consulted the opinions of others, I have always made the wisest decision. It's not about blindly obeying others, it's about considering perspectives that you've never considered. Soliciting opinions is actually the secret of success of every successful person in the world, from the project manager all the way up to the President.

That said, what drove me toward the Camaro initially was the aesthetics. I have some pretty nice stuff, and in my experience the hunt is always more thrilling than the actual acquisition. Therefore when I went for the test drive of the Camaro, the emotional gushy lovey-dovey feeling disappeared. What replaced it was good ol fashioned measurable merits. It was really good for me, because the cars merits is what I'll live with for a long time after the initial excitement inevitably wears off - it was good for me because now I am not blindly considering the Camaro (like some of you admit to doing), I can now judge the Camaro based on objective merit.

I find it mildly humorous that many people have replied to this thread and fully admit that they made their decision on emotion, and can't fathom that others may actually want to base it on more objective analysis.

But back to the Camaro, I actually fully enjoyed the drive. The only thing I really didn't like was the clutch. I didn't like the soft feel for the first 2/3rds and then the heavy feel (when the clutch actually engaged) in the last 1/3rd. I also didn't like the long travel of the clutch. Is this normal? I expected a performance car to have a short travel clutch, and have even engagement throughout the travel (not soft and then heavy).

What I'm hoping to get is some opinions of the Camaro's drive aspects (including the clutch) compared with other cars, because I don't have much experience with performance cars. Maybe the Camaro's clutch is "normal" - I don't know. Thanks.
You bring up the clutch, I must say, its a non-event. I drive the car and don't even realize I'm using a clutch, LOL. I guess I mean its not hard nor soft, maybe just right. I say that because if there was a problem with it my leg would tell my brain, so clutch is just fine.
-bobby
Old 04-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #96
armando416

Drives: Camaro 2SS IBM/Grand Prix
Quote:
what the heck is wrong with people who insist on judging me. How on earth would you know what I've convinced myself to do? I would have thought by my responses to the helpful replies, that I am not convinced.

I guess most of you really make decisions on impulse? One person even said that if I need to solicit opinions, I need to "grow up"? Actually it's the reverse: consulting opinions is a mark of wisdom, making impulsive close-minded decisions is the mark of immaturity.

For your information, the replies to this thread (the helpful ones) are making me reconsider (FYI, the OP never stated any conclusions). I am going to test drive the Mustang to get a better feel, but I am going to judge each car in an as unbiased way as possible, contrary to the advice to go with "gut feel" like some of you are suggesting.

You have to remember you're on a Camaro site. Some people are defensive about the car to a fault (not saying about that particular poster but in general). They refuse to admit any faults of the vehicle and take every criticism personally. There are good points to both vehicles. I still would not go the gt500 route...too costly and I hear the handling characteristics are worse than the regular ol GT. What about getting the GT and spending the money you saved dressing it up w a new hood, etc?

I love my Camaro but I still admit there is plenty of room for improvement on it. It is far from the perfect car, however it is great for the money.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #97
Enator

Drives: 2011 SHELBY GT500 & Volvo S80
I am going to look closer to Mustang 2011 and if it is better car than bumblebee camaro then i go for it
Old 04-09-2010, 12:52 PM   #98
LookingGlass
Future Chevy Owner

Drives: Impatiently waiting!!!
Send a message via Yahoo to LookingGlass
Quote:
What exactly "captured" you about the Camaro compared to those amazing cars you've driven? Was it just the look, or the drive?
Where to start.....

My preference has always leaned toward muscle cars and hot rods. There's a certain something about them that's always pulled me in. The history, the stories behind them, and I love working on them. I had the privilege of getting the first crank out of my best friends '69 after months of working on it. And I still haven't wiped the grin off my face after hearing that 509 big block roar to life!! I think he's secretly jealous I got it Once you've worked on something you have a passion for, it sticks with you.
Don't get me wrong on the Euros. I love them too and they're great fun to drive. The technology that goes into them these days is unparalleled. But those cars to me are weekend fun. Not to mention definitely out of the budget. And these days requires an arsenal of special tools and required certifications to work on them. Not exactly cars for the weekend warrior to wrench on in the driveway.

There are so many factors I take into consideration. It's a combination of a lot of things, and yeah, looks do play a part. But mostly I'm looking at these - How do I feel sitting in the car? Am I comfortable? And BTW my problem isn't head room clearance. It's totally the opposite. I'm only 5'1" and weigh in at 100lbs soaking wet LOL Handling. Does the car suit my driving style? Will it stick to the road or get squirrely in the twisties? How's the performance? What are my options there and is it something I want to work on myself.

So that's my 2 yen.

Closed Thread