Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #29
djm96z28

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS LS3
Reading about all these paint problems is very discouraging. Does it seem that some colors are more prone to the problems than others?
djm96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #30
armando416

Drives: Camaro 2SS IBM/Grand Prix
I bet it is the color...remember when Chevy had the POS Corsica? I saw all kinds of blue and green ones all over the road with peeling paint everywhere...but never saw that on a red one. My IBM has been good so far.
armando416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:34 AM   #31
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by djm96z28 View Post
Reading about all these paint problems is very discouraging. Does it seem that some colors are more prone to the problems than others?

It makes sense that this would be the case, especially since the application process uses the same equipment and computer settings.. The only differences are the paint batches and clear coat batches..
Old 07-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #32
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
I'm with GLBL WMR on my paint, and yes, it happens to be black. ;(

Very unhappy with the orange peel and the amount of chipping. Even the dealer painted GFX are starting to peel off. I know, I was told by GM they would not warranty the painting of the GFX...but the gills are horribly chipped! I too, am Very careful how & where I drive and less than 8K miles in almost 11 months...

Oh well, if I keep her past 4 years, I'll get her repainted. For now, I keep her the best I can.
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #33
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
I posted earlier about the edges of my rear fascia rubbing and the paint flaking. That is the only paint issue I have. Becky at Rodgers Chevrolet just faxed me the Service Bulletin from GM. The number is 09-08-51-005A revised April 30, 2010. It addresses the paint rubbing for both the front and rear fascia. It states that this is a warranty issue and the proper repair procedure, which is to repaint and then adjust the gap properly. You should be able to avoid any debate with this at the dealer. Hopefully, this helps someone else.
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #34
prostock69
Female Muscle Car Nut!

Drives: 2010 RS/SS IOM Camaro
We have all sorts of paint chips in the gills. However, we do a lot of burnout/launches (I should say Darin does) which I'm sure contributed to them.

MODS: Borla "S" Type Exhaust, American Racing Headers 3" Longtubes, New Era Cold Air Intake, HP Tune, Custom Ground Camshaft, Professionally Ported Heads by Darin Morgan, Ported Throttle Body, 3000 Stall Converter, and 160 Degree Thermostat.

http://www.rehermorrison.com/; http://www.darinmorgan.com/; http://www.neweraperformance.com/
prostock69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:24 PM   #35
cowjazz

Drives: 2010 2SS
Over 10K on mine. No paint issues. A few, very small chips in the gill area, but they are not noticeable (unless you are looking for them) after using touch up paint. I do have a clear bra on the front, no splash guards, car is SIM.
cowjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #36
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
6100 on mine and No Paint Issues. Just one small chip on the lower front from a rock when a guy swerved in front of me on a repaving section an the interstate.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:14 PM   #37
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock69 View Post
We have all sorts of paint chips in the gills. However, we do a lot of burnout/launches (I should say Darin does) which I'm sure contributed to them.
I can't see how that would cause chips in the gills since they are in front of the rear tires...
Old 07-23-2010, 04:16 PM   #38
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by armando416 View Post
I bet it is the color...remember when Chevy had the POS Corsica? I saw all kinds of blue and green ones all over the road with peeling paint everywhere...but never saw that on a red one. My IBM has been good so far.
I had an 88 Gran Prix where the blue paint peeled after a year and a half. GM painted it for free...
Old 07-23-2010, 04:52 PM   #39
Eric's Blue

Drives: Cybergray 1SS
I saw a used Black with 20k miles on it. Gills looked really bad. Maybe some colors are more prone than others?
Old 07-23-2010, 06:54 PM   #40
BICHN CAMARO

Drives: without a license: ss 6m
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBL WMR View Post
I've given up any hope that I'll make it 5 years without having to repaint this car just to make it presentable and keep it from rusting out. At least when it is repainted, I can make sure it will have paint that is acceptable in terms of durability. The ease in which this paint etches is unbelievable. I could sneeze on this thing and it might etch. The chips are a whole other monster - my front facia looks like it has been sand blasted, and even after I installed the splash guards, the gills continue to rack up chips faster than a poker pro. I even have 2 sizeable chips on the trunk decklid.

Strict care including detailing and waxing (Adams products) is an exercise in futility. I never have driven through a gravel parking lot, and I don't drive through tornadoes. I avoid construction zones like the plague. Black certainly doesn't help, but none of my previous black cars have provided me the same problems. The bottom line is that it is completely unacceptable for a $35K car, and this issue alone will be cause me to much more carefully consider buying any new car.

So here's to throwing in the towel, and taking a hit to the wallet.
Read JackR67 thread under TSB/warranty issues. GET IT MIL TESTED!
and they all ride the bus!

Dead Milkmen
BICHN CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:45 PM   #41
Coop

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
So how are people getting there rock chips repainted by the dealership? Would like to know how you approached them and said it was GM's fault?
2010 Camaro 1SS Inferno Orange Magnusson Supercharger Installed and Tuned by ADM Performance, Roto Fab CAI IOM painted, MBRP Cat Back Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Shifter, Clear Image Headers, Pedders coilovers, BMR Front/Rear sway bars Trailing Arms and End Links, VMax ported TB
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:37 PM   #42
TXCammy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM/Beige/M6
I have IBM, no major problems. I have chips and scratches but I know where every one of them came from; mine is a DD and I drive through refineries here in the area w/ gravel roads/driveways/parking lots but the chips still are not bad--very minimal considering.... A good bottle of touch up paint fixes them perfectly. I haven't noticed very many chips around the gills---and I've looked.
TXCammy is offline   Reply With Quote