Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
armando416

Drives: Camaro 2SS IBM/Grand Prix
Question Rough shifting in the manual SS

Does anyone else feel like the transmission in the manual makes for a kind of rough ride? Would upgrading to a better clutch possibly help with this? I drove a 2011 Mustang a couple months ago just to size up the competition, and it just seemed to shift far more smoothly. If I am very careful and deliberate in engaging the clutch, I can make it shift smoothly...but it just never seems to come naturally in this car.

Is it possible I just got a bad one? Or that I somehow messed it up with only 12,000 miles on it? I admit I did a lot of my stick-shift learning experience on this car, however I don't think I was ever so rough with it that I broke anything or wore anything out. Plus I learned pretty quick so maybe only 2,000 miles of that was rough driving.

Any advice would be appreciated...anyone else having this experience? Does the Camaro just not have a good clutch for beginners? I know it has a pretty springy clutch pedal which gives it a different feel than the Mustang or Challenger.
armando416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #2
Lucky SOB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Uhh, I'm not sure. I've had people tell me the shifts are so smooth they feel like they're riding in an automatic.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
hey man every SS ive been in, they all shifted real smooth, maybe you do have a bad one. Bring it to the dealer and have em check, or ask to compare yours to one on the lot. Goodluck and keep us posted
PS thats the one thing i dont like about the V6 tranny, very clunky and rough
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
mhood
Orange Camaros Rule!

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3 RS IOM
I guess I'm the only one who has a heck of a time with 2nd to 3rd quickly? It's a total crap shoot for me.
mhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
GeorgeM

Drives: 2016 2SS, Yellowjacket, A8
Before buying the LS3 I owned an 08 Mustang GT and it was easier to drive and shift smoothly. Take-up on the clutch started early and was always the same. You could get used to it by just driving around the block.

Conversely, the Camaro seems to engage at different points, making it hard to drive smoothly. Take-up is high and abrupt, which makes it tricky. With 6,200 miles on my Camaro I still cannot drive it as smooth as the Mustang after just one day.

GeorgeM
GeorgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I think your problems is the return spring on the pedal ... It has a very heavy feel to it.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky SOB View Post
Uhh, I'm not sure. I've had people tell me the shifts are so smooth they feel like they're riding in an automatic.
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #8
TornadoSS
WICKDSS

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IOM LS3
armando416, what rpm are you shifting at, I found that if you shift 2500 or preferably 3000 rpm during normal driving it shifts pretty smooth. any lower than that its kinda jerky.
mhood, I have to confess, I have trouble with the 2-3 shift also in quick shift situations. Just need more practice!!!!
TornadoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #9
jRZA30

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 CGM
I, too, have done a lot my manual driving learning on my 2SS. However, it still seems to me that it shifts more smoothly into certain gears than others. For instance, shifting into 5th gear on mine seems to be the most fickle. On the other hand, I have had experiences where there were I have encountered no jerkiness at all. So I chalked it up to experience or lack there of. IMO, I think that it's just a matter of taming the beast.
jRZA30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #10
chopss

Drives: 04 sentra, 2ss
could be a part in the clutch. when i first got the car it would never engage in the same spot and it was hard just to get to a roll without looking like your learning how to first drive a manual.
new slave cyl t/o bearing alot more predictable where clutch grabs but still not where i would like the clutch to be.
chopss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
mcarney

Drives: SSRS CGM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by armando416 View Post
Does anyone else feel like the transmission in the manual makes for a kind of rough ride?
Yes, definitely. Kind of annoying sometimes. If my shifts are slow and deliberate than it feels smooth. If I shift a little bit faster, at a speed at which I consider normal, than the shifter feels kind of rough, especially 3rd.

When you're really good in a past life, you come back as yourself

mcarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:48 PM   #12
Msthomp

Drives: CGM 2010 SS on order
when I first got the car, I was horrible at shifting and it was always jerky...I started doing deliberate rev matching and taking my time and it got better...now, I don't even really have to look at the tach, I can just feel it. I still have my days when it's a little jerky, but that's usually when there's another person in the car and I'm thinking too much about it. When I'm driving by myself, I'm more relaxed and can just slip right into gear without really feeling anything.

"I'm a boy who appreciates a good body, regardless of the make."

Msthomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #13
chandler

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
I have to agree that the Camaro has a sensitive clutch assembly. I have been driving manual cars for over 30 years on the street and the drag strip. I took my car back to the dealer and explained the inconsistant clutch engagement. First it engages very firmly, then the same shift engages like an automatic. And this is when shifting, lets say from 2-3, at the same speed and RPM. The dealer says "the clutch is operating as it was designed." It is kind of frustrating because you can't insist that it is broken. So, all this to say you are not alone. I love the car but the clutch does leave something to be desired.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #14
chilihed

Drives: 2010 Hendrick Modified SS #015
I have no problems with the clutch. It's the gearbox I have a problem with.