Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #113
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmidt1956 View Post
rolnslo...

What were you feeling that made you think something was wrong?

Mine seems okay, and when I did my fluid change, things were looking fine. I've added the Hurst Shifter, and that makes things a little notchier, but it seems to get smoother the more it is driven. 3000 miles so far and my VIN is 50019 which is a quite a few cars later than yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhiteLS View Post
It was not what he "felt", it was what his transmission was doing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhiteLS View Post
Keep us posted ...

Actually, it was a "feeling" thing. Typically when I would shift into any gear but second, it felt like a simple two stage thing. First I'd feel the shifter provide a bit of resistance when I'd put in into a gear and then I'd feel again when it locked into gear. With second gear, it was different. I'd feel the bit of resistance when I'd try to put it into second and a LOT more resistance as I pulled it completely into gear. Every so often, that second level resistance would almost feel like it was fighting the transmission to get it into 2nd. When that happened, I'd just back off the shift and try again. Over time, it just seemed like I was fighting to get it into 2nd gear more and more.

I tried to describe this to the tech that was checking out my car and he didn't get it until he drove the car and felt the difference in the feeling of the shifter when going into 2nd.

As for the new transmission, shifting into 2nd gear now feels like shifting into any other gear. Hopefully it stays that way.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:08 PM   #114
SummitWhiteLS

Drives: 2011 Mustang V6 Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Actually, it was a "feeling" thing ... it just seemed like I was fighting to get it into 2nd gear more and more.
Ok, now that you described it that way. I'm not really experiencing the same thing as you.

For me a fast shift to 2nd at 6000 rpm is notchy, and a similar shift at 7000 causes a "crunch".

This was reported by Edmunds Inside Line in their March 09 test of a v6:
Quote:
Tranny really doesn't like to be rushed in this car. Second gear crunched every shift during acceleration testing. Slower shifts were never a problem.
http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...lenger-se.html
My car was built on 3/10, almost a year after the above test. So apparently, this is something that effects both early and late model year 2010 v6's.

I wonder if the 2011 v6's will crunch 2nd gear as well ...
SummitWhiteLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:17 PM   #115
SummitWhiteLS

Drives: 2011 Mustang V6 Automatic
I figured out the crunching problem.

I'm too fast a shifter (15 years of drag racing taught me a lot!).

Seeing how Inside Line remarked that the v6 trannie didn't like to be rushed, I slowed down my shift just a fraction.

Crunching is gone.

Now I just have to reduce the skill level of my shifts. I wish I didn't have to do that ...
SummitWhiteLS is offline   Reply With Quote