Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-27-2014, 10:36 PM   #1
sberk1012

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6
Opti-coat 2.0 discontinued

I was contemplating sealing my wheels with this product. This ends all debate.
sberk1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:00 PM   #2
DylanVK

Drives: a few
Replaced by Optimum Gloss Coat as I understand.

1967 C/10 PROJECT TRUCK | DETAILING EXPERT | CRAFT BEER ENTHUSIAST
DylanVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:23 PM   #3
sberk1012

Yes. Not as durable, more expensive per amount. Here's a statement someone posted in the Autogeek forums. As I understand, this statement was not supposed to go public (only to installers) but may have been leaked:

OPTIMUM PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTS ANNOUNCEMENT

Effective with this communication, there are major improvements to the Optimum product line and the Professional Program.

Opti-Coat 2.0 is being discontinued immediately and will be replaced with a hybrid consumer product with up to 2 years durability, Gloss Coat. Gloss Coat will be priced $59.99 for 10 mls.

Opti-Coat Pro will only be sold in the 10 ml Warranty Package ($150) and that warranty will be 5 years. The Lifetime Warranty and 40 ml syringe are discontinued. The 10 ml syringe is enough product for 1 vehicle and installers should use an entire package for each application, going over areas of heavy impact such as the hood with a second coat if there is product left. Every Opti-Coat Pro sale will carry the 5 year Warranty for any vehicle less than 5 model year old. Any Lifetime Warranty sold prior to this change will be honored as long as the printed requirements are met. The Minimum Suggested Price for a warranty Opti-Coat Pro installation is $495.

Opti-Coat Approved Installers will be required to purchase a minimum of $300 in Optimum products per month to remain authorized and listed in the Opti-Coat database. Purchases will be reviewed quarterly. Optimum is offering a 20% discount to Pro Installers on all non-professional products for full case orders (and the cases can be mixed product).

Chris Thomas and Dann Williams have been appointed Regional Managers; Chris will manage East of the Mississippi and Dann the West. They will handle technical issues, training, and are involved with Installer Approvals, and in general deal with Professional questions from the field.

New Optimum Products, including a dedicated Opti-Coat line available in coming months:

OptI-Coat Spot Remover
Opti-Coat Iron Remover
Opti-Coat Prep Solution
Opti-Coat Maintenance Wash
Opti-Trim Restore
Opti-Trim Protect

As labels and packaging are available these products will be introduced.

YOUR OPTIMUM TEAM
Old 08-27-2014, 11:27 PM   #4
DylanVK

Drives: a few
Interesting.

Since I've been playing with some coating formulations for SCG I do know the raw materials needed to make most coating products have gone up substantially. Wonder if that had anything to do with the changes.

Coatings are an interesting area of the business now, and changing fast.

1967 C/10 PROJECT TRUCK | DETAILING EXPERT | CRAFT BEER ENTHUSIAST
DylanVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:17 PM   #5
sberk1012

Just snagged some off eBay. To those out there who still want it, that is the only place you will find it. And (for now at least) the price hasn't skyrocketed
Old 08-29-2014, 06:25 AM   #6
DetailersDomain

Drives: Audi S4
The gloss coat should work great. I should have our first shipment in today or early next week.
DetailersDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:02 AM   #7
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
The more disturbing part of this to me is the discontinuation of the lifetime warranty. This tells me they've had way more failures than they expected and it's becoming too expensive. Not good.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:52 AM   #8
Good_Times

Drives: red
Most of this has came about trying to separate OC 2.0 and OCP. Installers of OCP have been upset with many offering OC 2.0 and claiming it's just as good as OCP. Many other changes to price and minimum monthly purchase have been established. Some think this will weed out many part time installers and some disagree. IMO if a part timer is selling enough to meet the minimum monthly product he will raise his prices and continue on with business as usual.I love the Optimum products but I have stopped offering OCP since the last price increase and don't care for the idea that the bulk syringe has been discontinued and standard syringe reduced to 10cc from 20cc . As for a lifetime warranty , I have not found a customer that will take the time to properly wash their car to keep from installing defects and swirls. Seems they like the ease of keeping it clean and protection from bird bombs etc but usually need correction again after a couple of years. When properly maintained I see OCP lasting many many years.
Good_Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:05 AM   #9
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I picked up another syringe on ebay as well.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #10
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Just use Rejex on my 1LE black wheels ,seams to work and it lasts a long time.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #11
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
I used Opticoat 2.0 on a black Cayenne and was not impressed. I won't be using it anymore. Don't know anything about the pro line but would love to try it. But I'm not a pro so looks like that won't happen soon.