Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 11:09 PM   #1
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Hate to say it, but I'm losing interest in the new Camaro..

.. haven't got one yet but I had a test drive of it yesterday. I specifically looked out for the things that the reviewers complained the most about, and I honestly did not find anything to gripe about. I left the test drive telling the dealer I was happy with it.

So what's the problem? The problem is, as one reviewer said: I'd like to have it for the weekend, I just wouldn't want to live with it (kind of like some women).

The number one problem was how I felt it in. It was cool and all that, but the low visibility made me feel small in it. I felt like an extremely obese person who couldn't see his feet. I didn't feel like a finely honed athlete who was completely aware of every single part of his body at every point in time. The pillbox windows really contributed to the feeling of claustrophobia and the feeling that I wasn't aware of the perimeters of the car, kind of like dare I say it, driving a mini-van.

The thing that attracted me to the Camaro was its coolness. It wasn't common like the Mustang, and it is one of the very few cars on the road that look like a concept car - that's because it virtually is unchanged from the concept car. However, after actually test driving it, the novelty wore off. I hungered for it because I don't have one yet. But after test driving it, I instantly got a sense of what it would be like to live with it on a daily basis. The novelty of having a concept car wore off. Now I realize it's only important to own a handsome car - I don't need a car to look like a "dancing bear" as another reviewer put it.

The Camaro is like a "dancing bear", it screams "look at me"! Look at all the posts on this forum about how good people feel that people are looking at them. In my city, people are affluent and not many people stared at me when I drove the Camaro. And even when they did, I didn't care for it. I wondered what it would be like to draw attention to myself, but when I drove the Camaro for the first time it was like "meh - whatever". All that matters is the drive - the experience and thrill of driving. It was sufficient that the car be handsome.

So now I'm thinking that maybe a 2011 Shelby GT500 would be a better choice. Anyone want to convince me otherwise?
Old 04-08-2010, 11:18 PM   #2
SA CHEVY
"HILLARY"

Drives: "HILLARY" :D
It really does grow on you every time you drive it. As I've told many people who have talked to me in person either at the gas stations or market, driving the Camaro is like driving a piece of history. You feel the nostalgia after a week or so of driving it. All the old Camaro guys love to say how much it reminds them of "my old 69' I had back before I got married...man that car was something to be seen!!". After that you feel the comradery...and by that I mean every Camaro owner has respect for one another REGARDLESS of what generation you are driving. I drove out of town on Monday for my first roadtrip in my Camaro and just driving through Los Angeles every older Camaro (not classic's because I didn't come across any but from the 90's into the 00's) would throw me a thumbs up or like one guy did hold up a banner that read "CAMARO PRIDE". There's also the sheer power that comes from this car and it really shows when you start to play with her a little bit. Sure the GT500 has been shown to be a faster 1/4 mile car...hooray for it...but as Hennessy proved, throw a S/C on the Camaro SS so that they are at least in the same ballpark together and again the Bowtie will prevail and come in with a much smaller price tag. I'm going to say the age old saying, "To each his own...", buy whatever car makes you happiest and DON"T let anyone else tell you otherwise however I will say that this car is something to be admired and the bond you will build with it is a bond that goes back a long way...
Old 04-08-2010, 11:23 PM   #3
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

Drives: Black 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
So now I'm thinking that maybe a 2011 Shelby GT500 would be a better choice. Anyone want to convince me otherwise?
Nope...clearly you're not a Camaro guy and you shouldn't waste your money.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
.. haven't got one yet but I had a test drive of it yesterday. I specifically looked out for the things that the reviewers complained the most about, and I honestly did not find anything to gripe about. I left the test drive telling the dealer I was happy with it.

So what's the problem? The problem is, as one reviewer said: I'd like to have it for the weekend, I just wouldn't want to live with it (kind of like some women).

The number one problem was how I felt it in. It was cool and all that, but the low visibility made me feel small in it. I felt like an extremely obese person who couldn't see his feet. I didn't feel like a finely honed athlete who was completely aware of every single part of his body at every point in time. The pillbox windows really contributed to the feeling of claustrophobia and the feeling that I wasn't aware of the perimeters of the car, kind of like dare I say it, driving a mini-van.

The thing that attracted me to the Camaro was its coolness. It wasn't common like the Mustang, and it is one of the very few cars on the road that look like a concept car - that's because it virtually is unchanged from the concept car. However, after actually test driving it, the novelty wore off. I hungered for it because I don't have one yet. But after test driving it, I instantly got a sense of what it would be like to live with it on a daily basis. The novelty of having a concept car wore off. Now I realize it's only important to own a handsome car - I don't need a car to look like a "dancing bear" as another reviewer put it.

The Camaro is like a "dancing bear", it screams "look at me"! Look at all the posts on this forum about how good people feel that people are looking at them. In my city, people are affluent and not many people stared at me when I drove the Camaro. And even when they did, I didn't care for it. I wondered what it would be like to draw attention to myself, but when I drove the Camaro for the first time it was like "meh - whatever". All that matters is the drive - the experience and thrill of driving. It was sufficient that the car be handsome.

GT500 is in a totally different category TBH.

I own both a 2010 Mustang and 2010 Camaro. I find the visibility in both cars about the same. Neither one has the advantage. After driving my Camaro since Feb, every time I get into the Mustang I feel cramped. Less leg room, it is narrow, and every time I shift the cup holder door swings open from my arm. I do think the Mustang interior is nicer but after driving/owning both, I would take the Camaro any day.

Hope that provides some objective comparison.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:23 PM   #5
rez333

Anyone else feel really "small" when driving this car? I guess I am looking for opinions from people who own other sports cars like Mustangs, Corvettes, 911s or M3s who can compare the visibility aspect. I didn't realize how much visibility would be important to me, until I didn't have as much of it in the Camaro.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:24 PM   #6
HIGHOCTANE

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Son..if you need to be convinced...then the car is not for you...
I like the feeling of being cacooned in the car..like it wraps around me..pure bliss

GT500 is a nice car...kind of slow and heavy for a SVT Mustang(see my signature..)..but it is "nice"..lol

So now that I have helped you..can you help me understand why people asked to be convinced of something? I've never understood that...

2010 IBM 2SS/RS Camaro (M6)
Previous rides:
2003 Twin Turbo Mustang Cobra(900 RWHP)
2004 KB S/C Mustang Cobra(700 RWHP)
2003 Mustang GT,Heads,Cam, N20 ect..
Old 04-08-2010, 11:25 PM   #7
rez333

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
GT500 is in a totally different category TBH.

I own both a 2010 Mustang and 2010 Camaro. I find the visibility in both cars about the same. Neither one has the advantage. After driving my Camaro since Feb, every time I get into the Mustang I feel cramped. Less leg room, it is narrow, and every time I shift the cup holder door swings open from my arm. I do think the Mustang interior is nicer but after driving/owning both, I would take the Camaro any day.

Hope that provides some objective comparison.
thanks for your perspective. I will arrange a Mustang test drive ASAP to judge for myself. Anyone else want to give a visibility comparison between the Mustang and Camaro? Thanks.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:27 PM   #8
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

Drives: Black 2014 2SS/RS
If you're not into the looks, don't want people looking at you, and visibility is an issue, maybe you *should* get a minivan lol
Old 04-08-2010, 11:28 PM   #9
SA CHEVY
"HILLARY"

Drives: "HILLARY" :D
Quote:
Anyone else feel really "small" when driving this car? I guess I am looking for opinions from people who own other sports cars like Mustangs, Corvettes, 911s or M3s who can compare the visibility aspect. I didn't realize how much visibility would be important to me, until I didn't have as much of it in the Camaro.
I'm 6'1" and fit fine even with my cowboy hat on! It's all just a matter of perspective I suppose as to what you would consider "cramped". To give you an idea of "cramped" come from a 2004 Duramax crew cab to owning this baby...that's what I did and I haven't looked back...the Gen 5's are a breed all their own and a force to be reckon' with!
Old 04-08-2010, 11:30 PM   #10
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
i agree you are a mustang guy. waisting our time. we will tell you all the perks and you will still turn around and get the gt500.

i would know i try to sell people audio and they sound just like you. then they will buy and down the line regret it.

sorry for being blunt but hey thats how i feel after reading your post
Old 04-08-2010, 11:32 PM   #11
Rollin Thunder

Drives: 07 yukon xl, 07 vette, 10 SRT8
I think the mustang gives you a false sense. Especially if you get a bright colored interior. Its really no better than a camaro. But you only "think" it is due to the different interior. You still feel way low and back in it. But this is done in any modern low car. Im coming from a big high up GMC yukon Xl. I can sit and tower over everybody. My arm can rest comfortably on the window sil. I cant do this in a mustang, camaro, my corvette, challenger, etc. As the new Laws have car companies designing low cars like this to have less glass and more metal to protect you better in a side end collision. Your going to feel like that in any modern sports car. Its just the design of the car. They dont have to do this in my big tall yukon since Im higher up than 90% of the cars on the road anyway. If A camaro were to slam in to the side of my truck, Its roof line is lower than my door handles.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:34 PM   #12
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Well at least the 2011 GT500 sheds some weight. I still think it is heavy but I think it actually ends up being lighter than the SS.

If you absolutely have to have a 500+hp pony car right now with factory warranty I would say go for the GT500. It is a great car.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:35 PM   #13
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
Quote:
I also have a '95 'Vette and the Camaro is a totally different driving experience...
I got used to the visibility after driving it for about a week, and now I can't imagine ever feeling like I would have trouble seeing...
I am used to using my mirrors to change lanes, since I can't turn my head to the right very easily as I have an injury to my neck...
As long as you have the mirrors adjusted properly, you should have no problem...it is a little difficult to back up in the beginning because it's hard to judge where the car ends...
The car does not make me feel small at all...never did...I am 5'6" and I have the seat raised up and the steering wheel lowered and I'm fine...
Hope this info is helpful to you...I am giving you a totally honest, objective opinion...
BTW, I ordered this car before production began, so I never saw one in person, sat in one, or drove one until I drove MINE...
I have absolutely NO REGRETS at all and would recommend it highly...
Good luck, whatever you choose...
I also have to say that this is the 'happiest' car I have ever owned and driven IN MY LIFE!!!...

Old 04-08-2010, 11:35 PM   #14
rez333

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA CHEVY View Post
I'm 6'1" and fit fine even with my cowboy hat on! It's all just a matter of perspective I suppose as to what you would consider "cramped". To give you an idea of "cramped" come from a 2004 Duramax crew cab to owning this baby...that's what I did and I haven't looked back...the Gen 5's are a breed all their own and a force to be reckon' with!
I never said I felt cramped. I said I feel "small". They are in fact opposite feelings. I feel like I was a small child sitting in a big truck. Now I'm not saying that because I couldn't see out of the car - I just think that when you sit in a sports car, the car shouldn't feel big. It should feel small in fact.

Closed Thread