Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
speedy_g

Drives: CAMARO RS V6
Question long headers vs shortys ? 2010 camaro v6

Looking to see if I can find out why
not,
go with long heads if they make more power ! Also are high flow cats ok in most states but California
speedy_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
devildoc

Drives: '12 Toyota Tacoma Dbl
Well I just got my ARH LTs in and will be putting them on this weekend. As far as smog control goes you will have to worry about it depending on your state and local laws for emissions control.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
D Vegas

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS VR,1978 VW BUG CV
if you can get away with high flows in IL then go for it. just make sure you get a system that come with them. the other reason i can think of is price LTs are more and if you add cats to that Package its even more, cats aint cheep. i have the shorties on mine, but keep considering starting the LT and high flow cat fund hahah.
D Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #4
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
shorty headers,you retain your warranty.long tubes,lose your warranty and you will have to get a tune.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy_g View Post
Looking to see if I can find out why
not,
go with long heads if they make more power ! Also are high flow cats ok in most states but California
sound....

I absolutely love my exhaust right now with the shorties... Not sure I would be happy with the LT / hi-flow cat sound...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
sound....

I absolutely love my exhaust right now with the shorties... Not sure I would be happy with the LT / hi-flow cat sound...
Aw come on.......you didn't enjoy the growl my ride was makin at the Fest?

Sound will be a HUGE difference, pair it with right exhaust mufflers and it will be amazing. The power will be another major difference, you will have all this new fangled torque to play with Just ask some of the V6ers that were at the Fest, how ridiculous I was with the exhaust during the cruise and how many times I gunned it on the highway and the strip

One other thing, so far I was the only one, but my car did not throw a CEL and I drove the car for almost 100 mi w/o a tune. The tune will help you get rid of that if it happens and make the whole system function with better efficiency.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:23 PM   #7
John VS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT CGM, IOM Int.
Just got back from dropping off my car at Doug Thorley. Got a picture of the part. This isn't the exact part. I think mine was being coated.

He's going to be doing a before and after on the DynoJet, so I hope to have numbers by Friday.
Attached Images

John VS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
speedy_g

Drives: CAMARO RS V6
Cool thanks for all the replys..ya id like to keep my warranty and the cost is high with high flow cats ...
speedy_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:31 PM   #9
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
PM me if you need any Doug Thorley help!

I got the best prices and service!

Thanks,
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:29 AM   #10
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VS View Post
Just got back from dropping off my car at Doug Thorley. Got a picture of the part. This isn't the exact part. I think mine was being coated.

He's going to be doing a before and after on the DynoJet, so I hope to have numbers by Friday.
That sure looks like the v6 flange there, lol. Those shorties look good!! I'm interested to see how these bolt up to the mid pipes.

Btw, long tubes are the easier install, no cutting/welding needed. They do replace the factory cats, so emissions might be a b!tch.

Warranty, long tube or shorty, is going to depend upon your dealer. You are replacing a factory part, and cutting up another, with the shorty headers.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #11
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
That sure looks like the v6 flange there, lol. Those shorties look good!! I'm interested to see how these bolt up to the mid pipes.
I think what he was saying is that that part is a V6 header, but not the one going on his car. His was still being coated.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #12
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post

Btw, long tubes are the easier install, no cutting/welding needed. They do replace the factory cats, so emissions might be a b!tch.

Warranty, long tube or shorty, is going to depend upon your dealer. You are replacing a factory part, and cutting up another, with the shorty headers.
I don't think it will be possible to do a shorty header without cutting the down pipe... the stock manifolds are simply way to short...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:26 AM   #13
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthos View Post
I think what he was saying is that that part is a V6 header, but not the one going on his car. His was still being coated.
- X

Most likely, lol. My bad!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
I don't think it will be possible to do a shorty header without cutting the down pipe... the stock manifolds are simply way to short...
I agree. I was just looking at the collector on DT there, and there doesn't appear to be any way to bolt them up to the mids, lol. I know something is missing, that isn't a photo of the complete setup, so I'm curious as to the rest of the setup. Ie, how it bolts/mounts to the mids.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:32 AM   #14
marley.
OCD

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
So the DT shorties are available now? I see they have them on their website for 490. I wonder if they will have CELs like JBA?
marley. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010, camaro, exhaust, headers