Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 07-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #29
Rdditten

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro 2LT RS, STS TURBO
Send a message via AIM to Rdditten Send a message via Yahoo to Rdditten
I am not saying they all do this. Some mechanics or service people are very concerned about the work they do and do it well.
Rdditten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:06 AM   #30
kjd15
Finally!!

Drives: '10 2LT Summit white, '68 Camaro
Thanks for the detailed info! I used to change my own oil years ago, but was a little intimidated doing it on this car. Changed the oil yesterday and it really was very easy.
kjd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:35 AM   #31
FC_GIBB

Drives: 2012 Impala LTZ
i watched jiffy lube do mine the other day... seems they do an efficient job when you stand there watch them. I've been changing my own oil for years I'm going to keep a paper trail as long as i'm under warranty though. Just my preference.... this is very good info to know though! good post

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "'The United States of America", for an amount "up to, and including my life". That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it.
FC_GIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:13 AM   #32
Kenster

Drives: 2LT Cyber Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
Why mess with it? Because at the Dealer the lowest man on the totem pole does oil changes.
He may:
Put the wrong oil in.
Cross tread the plug.
Put only 5 qts in.
Use the wrong oil.
Take your car out for a spin, etc etc.
Lots of reasons to do it yourself the right way.

And in some cases, they might just forget to put the oil in altogether! The "spin" is what concerns me, plus the time taking it to the dealer, the waiting, the mechanic eating the last Twix bar out of the machine...
Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #33
Kenster

Drives: 2LT Cyber Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC_GIBB View Post
i watched jiffy lube do mine the other day... seems they do an efficient job when you stand there watch them. I've been changing my own oil for years I'm going to keep a paper trail as long as i'm under warranty though. Just my preference.... this is very good info to know though! good post

My ex worked at Jiffy Loob and they bought an average of one new engine a month, mostly because the parolees they hired would forget to tighten the drain plug or forget to put in the oil. Probably because they were busy looking up skirts through the grate.
Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #34
rydahog

Drives: camaro ss
If you go to Napa website,, it shows you a pict of their oil filter 7090 for the v6 camaro, and it comes with the O-ring..and also has a pict of it...so if no O-Ring in the box..then before you leave the store..get another with the o-ring,,,better safe then sorry to keep your ride running good.
rydahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:30 AM   #35
tradosaurus
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 F150 Lariat, Candy Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenster View Post
My ex worked at Jiffy Loob and they bought an average of one new engine a month, mostly because the parolees they hired would forget to tighten the drain plug or forget to put in the oil. Probably because they were busy looking up skirts through the grate.
Are you implying that your "ex" is a parollee?
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:47 PM   #36
1Gator

Drives: Black RS 2LT w/White Stripes #81872
Excellent Directions!

Thanks for the post - did my first oil change and your directions were spot-on! Best regards. 1Gator
1Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:59 PM   #37
azamazonqueen

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Did my second change--I cheated and pulled up this thread for easy reference
azamazonqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:57 PM   #38
lamontoclese

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenster View Post
Back when I had my truck the idiot forgot to put oil in after he was done draining it and stupid me wasn't paying attention when I was leaving and my engine seized. Well, I got a new engine out of it haha.
lamontoclese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #39
larrydietz

Drives: 2011 Camero 2LT RS
2011 Camero Oil Change

With the oil filter now on top of the engine, thinking of doing oil changes myself. Thinking of the Liquivac Topside Oil Changer available from Amazon. Uses the dipstick tube for access. Would appreciate any comments, suggestions, advice. etc.
larrydietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:09 PM   #40
steverc

Drives: 2011 2LT RJT V6 AT
Great instructions on the oil & filter change. Maybe I don't take it serious enough but I've changed my oil myself for almost 40 years and I've never used a torque wrench, just a regular wrench and a little "feel" for what is tight but not over tight. The new v6 filter set up is great. It seemed to get tight all at once. The torque wrench would be great but not absolutely needed. Never had any problems yet. I did not replace the O ring but we will need to at some point. I have not read anything difinitive on that yet. Some filters come with one others don't. I am interested in hearing what you all think about the frequency of changing the O ring in the filter cap.
steverc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #41
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
i actually filled the oil back up through the oil filter housing before i put the filter back it, i couldnt find my funnel lol lol
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:22 AM   #42
azamazonqueen

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverc View Post
Great instructions on the oil & filter change. Maybe I don't take it serious enough but I've changed my oil myself for almost 40 years and I've never used a torque wrench, just a regular wrench and a little "feel" for what is tight but not over tight. The new v6 filter set up is great. It seemed to get tight all at once. The torque wrench would be great but not absolutely needed. Never had any problems yet. I did not replace the O ring but we will need to at some point. I have not read anything difinitive on that yet. Some filters come with one others don't. I am interested in hearing what you all think about the frequency of changing the O ring in the filter cap.
Yep, torquing is new to me too for oil changes-my old oil filter had the "turn 1 1/2 after touches." I do torque the new one-just in case since it actually has it on the housing .
azamazonqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, change, filter, oil, v6 oil