Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-17-2008, 08:42 AM   #1
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Challys 6-Speed Tranny only capable of 450 ft. lbs torque, what about the Camaro?

Me and a bunch a people was talking to the engineers at SRT and it seems the TR-6060 6-speed MT is only capable of 450 FT. of torque and since the 6.1 has 420 FT. stock this is

Conversation:

This is straight from the SRT Engineer Chat Session last night.

Quote:
The part I found interesting (in a bad sort of way) was that they commented that the TR-6060 we're getting in our 6-speed challengers is designed to handle "at least 450 foot pounds" of torque. Considering the SRT8 already makes 420 foot pounds of torque stock... and it seems the tranny will be one of the first bottlenecks we hit?

That's depressing. Here's their comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT Engineers

There are differences in the torque capacity between the TR6060 for Challenger and Viper. The Viper box has gears made from premium materials to handle the V10 torque. The Challenger box is good to at least 450 foot pounds.
When later asked if the Viper's TR-6060 could be dropped in:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT Engineers

We guess it could be made to fit if you change the bell housing, tailshaft, and shifter. The problem is it will have much taller gear ratios in 1st-3rd. Than the Challenger trans. We started this way and the car wants the shorter gearing.
So it looks like we'll be looking for some new gears made with "premium materials" for our TR-6060 transmission to allow our cars to exceed 450 ft. lbs of torque? That probably won't be cheap.

This is kind of depressing. I thought the TR-6060 would be a beast in our cars having been transplanted largely from the Viper and that we would have gobs of torque left over to grow with and still have the TR-6060 ready for more.

PPP et all, care to comment? What's your thoughts on this? Do you foresee the transmission as a bottleneck that will need to be upgraded pretty darn fast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPP-Tim View Post
We have been pretty confident that the new 6speed would need to be upgraded to handle the power our 426s put out. Currently the auto can handle around 550whp without too much issue. We are seeing failure with auto cars at 600whp and at 700+whp-- you wont make it home from the shop LOL.

Much like the Mustangs, Camaros and Corvettes- 6speed Challengers will need to have upgraded transmissions to handle this kind of power.

I am hoping that with a upgraded clutch the stock tranny can handle 450-500whp for a while before breaking. (this is around the power output of our 426s).

Im sure sticky drag radials will play a huge part the how long your tranny last.

Example: We have customers making 580whp on stock axles- they run stock size tires that easily spin and never hook up.

Then we have customers that have 420whp- put on drag radials, and break an axle when the tires hook well.

I would assume that you can make big power and run the stock transmission as long as you dont Beat it to badly and the tires spin.-- If you launch hard on drag radials--You will probably break some driveline componet, either transmission or axles.

Our 426s make between 575-630BHP--(At the crank)- & similar torque.
Forced induction 426s can make 750-1000 HP at the crank

I would think that a 6.1 with CAI,Predator,and tune (making close to 400whp up from 350whp stock) -50 more whp then stock, should be fine on the stock transmission.

I guess we will all see soon.

(there are many upgraded parts available for the 6 speed transmissions- I would expect to see units capable of holding 700hp for around $3,500-$4,000 and a clutch for $600-1200.

Tim C

So since the maro has the same six-speed, does it has the same bottle neck the chally does? hope not

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon

Last edited by Muscle Master; 10-17-2008 at 08:52 AM.
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:50 AM   #2
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
eh, I hope not... Course I don't know that much about transmissions, But that would throw a wrench into some peoples plans.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
I'm pissed

the 5-speed autos can do better then that

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:01 AM   #4
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Really, That has got to suck, now you got me wondering.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Can't that be fixed with a different clutch?
Old 10-17-2008, 01:14 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
Can't that be fixed with a different clutch?
Maybe a little...but grab a spinning object with your hand and don't let go...if it's got enough power behind it, it'll tear your arm off. Now you could get a better hand...but your arm will still get torn off if it's got enough power(ie over 450ft/lbs in this case)

What's interesting is that this engineer said "at least 450..." poor choice of words?

fwiw, GM's site says the Corvette's TR6060 is capable of handling "425ft/lbs engine torque".......
Old 10-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #7
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
I think the Camaro's is capable of 600 or 700lbs of torque. i remember reading that somewhere...
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:26 PM   #8
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
I think the Camaro's is capable of 600 or 700lbs of torque. i remember reading that somewhere...
yeah, it was like 650...
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:15 AM   #9
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Maybe a little...but grab a spinning object with your hand and don't let go...if it's got enough power behind it, it'll tear your arm off. Now you could get a better hand...but your arm will still get torn off if it's got enough power(ie over 450ft/lbs in this case)

What's interesting is that this engineer said "at least 450..." poor choice of words?

fwiw, GM's site says the Corvette's TR6060 is capable of handling "425ft/lbs engine torque".......
I like your analogy on the tearing off of arms and hands....funny.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:28 AM   #10
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
The ZR1 supercharged 6.2-liter LS9 engine has 638 horsepower and 604 pound-feet of torque. Tremec trans.

To cope with the power, a two-disc clutch is fitted, and the gearbox and rear axle have been further strengthened. The gear ratios are closer than those of the Z06.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote