Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-25-2008, 12:19 PM   #183
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarHillCamaro View Post
Garfin/Elie I have a question for you that hopefully you can answer. What was your impression of the "shark" fin(for onstar)? Did it seem out of place? Did it visually skew the lines of the reverse mohawk? If you can't answer I understand but I will take anything you can tell us.
In all honesty, I never had my attention focused on it at all! It never stood out one way or the other to me. I guess I've seen so many pics of it already that I've subconsciously accepted it as part of the car. In the grand scheme of things, (for me anyway) it's become a very small point, one way or the other.
Hope that's helpful...

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 05-25-2008, 12:26 PM   #184
CedarHillCamaro

Drives: ABM 2SS/RS 2010 Camaro(12/09!!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post
In all honesty, I never had my attention focused on it at all! It never stood out one way or the other to me. I guess I've seen so many pics of it already that I've subconsciously accepted it as part of the car. In the grand scheme of things, (for me anyway) it's become a very small point, one way or the other.
Hope that's helpful...

Best regardSS,

Elie
thx. I appreciate your answer

I have very few problems with all the pics I have seen, but that one has bugged me a little bit. If you really didn't notice it I am great with that. That SS is going to look Great in my Driveway
CedarHillCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:03 PM   #185
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I find the shark fin a vast improvement over the little nub of an On Star antenna that's on my dad's Envoy.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:45 PM   #186
OldTimer

Drives: 2012 Victory Red ZL1 MG9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Lover View Post
What gave me the idea of the yellow being the 4th colour... is that we haven't seen it ANYWHERE since.

They have to be doing *something* with it(!)

I haven't seen the yellow pre-po on any of the trucks pulling the cars around for various testing purposes...

Plus, and I could be *totally* wrong here... but why would you paint a tester in yellow? Black/white is easy to conceal with camo. Silver is pretty obvious to be released (noted in story), as is red (and we saw it with the accessories)... so why paint a tester yellow? I would think to gather "feel" for how well the shade of yellow fills the bumblebee demand.

No way does the color of that test mule come close to filling the demand for bumblebee yellow. Now, on the other hand. Wasnt there some kind of contest where 3 lucky people are going to win exact replica's of bumblebee? So, somewhere along the way they are going to have to prepare the paint shop to paint those cars. Seems to me if you go to all the trouble to prepare the paint shop for those cars most of the investment is made and why not make it an "optional" color. I am sure I am wrong and someone will point out why that cant happen. My point is, that yellow will not satisfy most of us who want the bb yellow. Just my opinion.
OldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:09 PM   #187
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
No way does the color of that test mule come close to filling the demand for bumblebee yellow. Now, on the other hand. Wasnt there some kind of contest where 3 lucky people are going to win exact replica's of bumblebee? So, somewhere along the way they are going to have to prepare the paint shop to paint those cars. Seems to me if you go to all the trouble to prepare the paint shop for those cars most of the investment is made and why not make it an "optional" color. I am sure I am wrong and someone will point out why that cant happen. My point is, that yellow will not satisfy most of us who want the bb yellow. Just my opinion.
It most likely isn't going to be done at the factory - Bumblebee was painted in a special shop, so will the replicas. I agree though that the yellow in the spyshot isn't going to cut it for most of those who want a yellow Camaro, Bumblebee or not
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:24 PM   #188
warbird81

Drives: 1995 camaro, 2005 sts
was the top dog there at milford?
Old 05-25-2008, 10:44 PM   #189
Z-Lover

Drives: G6 V6
More yellow thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
It most likely isn't going to be done at the factory - Bumblebee was painted in a special shop, so will the replicas. I agree though that the yellow in the spyshot isn't going to cut it for most of those who want a yellow Camaro, Bumblebee or not
I read somewhere (help?) that the bumblebee paint would cost something like $10k just for the paint... many, many layers of paint I believe.

As for the yellow... I agree that us/we enthousiasts want the "true" bumblebee yellow... *but* if the standard chevy yellow is all they offer, I suspect many people will still buy it, as it is "close enough". Also, I would imagine that *if* the 4th colour demonstrated was yellow, I am sure one of the focus group questions would be to address whether the colour suited the car, or if they need to tint/darken/lighten/pearl the colour or if it looked good enough "as is". From the spy pics it looked like the colour was the same as used on the 'vette... so if the colour was off, no problem getting a new shade, but unfortunately, not the 12-layer true bumblebee paint job.

Side question... I wonder if GM would entertain the idea of producing a run of cars with no paint, just a quick clear coat (for rust), that a dealer body shop could paint in all 12 steps of lovely bumblebee yellow. I have heard of dealers making special orders just for their dealerships (CHOPPPER cars in LV, etc)... so I wonder how many a dealer would have to order for GM to entertain the idea...?

It would be an interesting idea for a dealership... heck 50/100 cars over the internet wouldn't be impossible... heck, I'd even buy one if Transport Canada says I can import the car after...
Z-Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:27 AM   #190
warbird81

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
yeah i entered that contest and hopefully i will not have to pay for my 5th gen
Old 05-26-2008, 12:33 AM   #191
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Drives: 85 K-10, 13 1LE
What contest?
Old 05-26-2008, 02:12 AM   #192
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I believe it's over, winners have been picked, and that's all folks. Don't ask me how or why....just what I've heard.

And...there was a contest one could enter a while back to win one of three Bumblebee replicas. Its estimated value was something like 40K
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:02 AM   #193
warbird81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
What contest?
I t was the transformers web site. on the cd it had code you could put in to register to win the car.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:11 AM   #194
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

From Scott over on Z28.com

Quote:
DANG -- would you believe the driver made the WRONG TURN again??????

I just LOVE watching the expression on peoples' faces when that happens!

As to the V8 with manual trans........

We had four production intent cars -- three of them have 'show prep' paints and we didn't want to get chips and scratches on them -- the V6 manual has chips on it already -- plus we wanted them to drive this car because we suspected it would blow them away. (it did....)

The other V8s were the Black/White IVER cars -- they both just happened to have automatics -- the ones with manuals were on different test tracks -- accumulating miles and doing their duty to ensure that when you get your new Camaro - you will be getting the highest quality Camaro ever.
and...IVER stands for...

Quote:
I ntegration V ehicle E ngineering R elease -- these are cars that are built very early on -- they are non-saleable and they are not built on the actual assembly line like regular non-saleables.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #195
OldTimer

Drives: 2012 Victory Red ZL1 MG9
[QUOTE=Z-Lover;72384]I read somewhere (help?) that the bumblebee paint would cost something like $10k just for the paint... many, many layers of paint I believe.

Ok. Let's assume for one second that the bumblebee paint process really does cost $10k. So, I am fairly sure not many are going to cough that up. There is, however, a way to get a very similar look without all the extra cost. Lexus and Ford, for example, have a "pearlescent" color. I know because one of my cars has it. It is a 2003 model and the added cost was less then $1,000. Based on how it looks, I am convinced GM can do the same thing. I am also convinced they are already well aware of this. As long as they can get the right yellow, my guess is they will have a bumblebee yellow available at a very reasonable cost. It might not look exactly like BB but you would have to have them side by side to tell.
OldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:43 AM   #196
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

^Right...possibly. I'm sure they could streamline this and make it less expensibe to paint as well. Problem is.....I don't think GM wants to make a whole bunch of them...I think they want a few which will keep that value waaaay up there. Kind of like 572 crate engines being made of the 572 cu engine.