Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-22-2017, 05:23 PM   #1
Kylejames83

Drives: 2011 camaro 2SS
Fuel pressure readings

I asked in the tune thread and have not got a response. I know im not the only owner of an sct. What are you seeing min max on your fuel pressure?
Kylejames83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:48 AM   #2
Kylejames83

If you have a handheld tuner and live wire you can see your fuel pressure. Is shows in kpa units.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:09 AM   #3
Kylejames83

I have seen several people say that you should learn how to read your logs, so i know some of you out there know. How bout this question then... have any of you been told your fuel bump is weak and should upgrade to ZL1 with just bolt on mods? The car has low miles and has no issues other then take off is slower then expected.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:18 PM   #4
Kylejames83

Old 09-26-2017, 10:58 PM   #5
silversleeper
Some ol' dude

Drives: '13 ZL1
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315996

If your Air Fuel Ratios are good, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Who ever tuned your car for bolt on's should have taken a look at fuel pressures and injector duty cycles to make sure it was reasonable. As long as you aren't going too lean or getting knock forget about it.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:26 PM   #6
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylejames83 View Post
I have seen several people say that you should learn how to read your logs, so i know some of you out there know. How bout this question then... have any of you been told your fuel bump is weak and should upgrade to ZL1 with just bolt on mods? The car has low miles and has no issues other then take off is slower then expected.
If it operates correctly at higher RPMs than there is nothing wrong with the fuel pump. Lower RPMs use the least amount of fuel.

I have a Dash Logic and an UltraGauge, both of which will display fuel pressure, and allow me to set low and high alarms, but I honestly have never bothered to observe that parameter.

A slow take-off could be any number of things.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:57 PM   #7
silversleeper
Some ol' dude

You never replied if your AFR's are good or you are getting Knock Retard.
Low octane gas is the #1 reason for lower acceleration.
0-60 app
Find a safe place to do a 0-60 run to verify if it feels slow or it IS slow.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:59 AM   #8
Kylejames83

I do not have an AFR in my sct hand held. I verify with live wire data, very precise. With my original tune i was only running 0-60 @ 4.6, with current tune im up to 5.2. And thats with mods.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:25 PM   #9
silversleeper
Some ol' dude

This is general advice, please don't be offended.
If you don't have the money, can't find a good tuner, or don't want to have the ecm re "tuned", then look carefully at any mods before you do them as even a CAI might need a re "tune".
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509345
E.g. if you are on a strict budget thread what should you do? The saavy answer is don't mod your car.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:49 PM   #10
Kylejames83

I have used two of the reputable tuners. I have not tuned any myself.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:50 PM   #11
Kylejames83

And spent quiet a bit on just the tune in my opinion.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:04 PM   #12
Kylejames83

Tuner says weak pump is why my take off is lacking. I run a max of 59 psi and min of 52. I have a low mileage car too. Doesnt make sense to me. He suggested i get the ZL1 pump and additional hardware.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:00 AM   #13
Kylejames83

This community has answers for everything, but not a single person knows fuel pressurr readings?
Old 10-07-2017, 08:29 AM   #14
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Fuel pressure readings will vary by pump the norms you should be asking people who do it professionally. Your adding mods with a handheld tuner is just a thing most try to avoid unless they are doing just headers and CAI and get a preloaded tune or buy one that fits the bill to match the mods that has been loaded by a good tuner who does check the AFR and who checks for knock retard and other variables and the tune then has things like a lower fan on set point, hill start eliminated, 1-4 skip shift gone and torque management kicked etc.....
Answer to your question; If I am forged ,stroked, cammed with top of the line parts tuned on the best by the best and use a stock fuel pump and stock injectors for now..my duty cycle is fine for now I am not super expensive heads and super high lift cam or Forced induction. You will find no-one most likely having a handheld telling them their pump is bad as most listen to old posts wisdom;

Dynos the best tune, limited bolt-ons get usually preloaded tunes from a person who knows how to check the data on a dyno and make a good tune to go to the obd2 scanner basically the handheld is
A handheld tuner is not a reputable tuner, my tuner is Tommy Wong in Vancouver he has two electrical engineering degrees and uses HP tuner, a Mustang dyno, the hardware and software also GM uses all at the same time to fine tune and has list of people months long to get spend $550 for a chance to get dyno tuned a couple hours on his dyno.

He once when I was there took someone else's tune on a new c-7 vette with a 2300 supercharger installed and gained him over 150 hp versus a handheld most likely installed tune by a mechanic installer while I waited to get a quick check on my new engines parameters to check my tune.

You want your fuel pressure really reliably get a gauge that attaches to the end of the fuel rail, but remember the back is a little more starved by the time it gets there due to the design of the stock fuel rail. Pressure will vary by load, and if you need a new pump there used to be ancient threads on here describing how to cut a access hole through under the passenger side rear seat then seal it up with sheet metal later for easy access without dropping the tank. BTW I am stock fuel pump and injectors... With your tuner you could give your mods to say DYNO Steve at RDP or Jannetty Racing etc and get a tune you can down load.
If you don't have the AFR you have nothing IMO, verifying your Data logging you should have to do; is best done sending the info off to someone who does know how to manipulate the tune to get the best results within the given software that can alter the tune in the ECU. You could have a car so choked up pulling timing with knock retard and exhaust leaking in the headers etc. just killing it. My zero to sixty might be about 3.5 seconds Or less, some day maybe the track will tell me.

As for your Bumps Pressur readings you may find more help in the tuners section but this is a aging site with interest of others not so much as time goes on, and if your not a Brainiac with lots of time to learn tuning you should just step away from the EFI Livewire, this from a guy with two business college diplomas who did programming ,( Before PC's and the snot nose current stare at your hand generation), and is now a government carpenter...... Your in the general section of a forum, try the EFI live forum online or the tuners section but the readings will vary..... a quick search on the internet should show you your best around the norm of the pumps output of 58 psi

http://cars.forumsee.com/a/m/s/p12-1...-pressure.html

Here this second one should tell you people more in the know with much more invested and a better command of better software still have a hard time and could really use professional help and in this thread may be the answer for your question and other problems..ones you don't know you even have...... Like knowing what delta pressure is or your MAP and its readings and how it effects the readings of what you think is one thing and is maybe totally another. https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...Delta-Pressure

Best advice I could give you; dyno tune it at the best around you somewhere who knows their crap, sell the tuners with a caveat emptor they are going to have to buy to download more than one car or twos tunes and yours needs wiped off it. Second best, and your cheapest option get Dyno Steve or Jannetty to send you a tune you can install and forget about it, if your lucky. Third; you have bad pump you ran it dry and fried it with a real low tank once, replace it and learn to live with learning programming and various studies you have to do with EFI live online in forums and training and you will wish you had spent more some day for the dyno tune if you don't already...and will be cutting a hole with a grinder under your seat if your not putting it on a rack and going through hell dropping the tank..... Just a few things IMO ...............
2013 2SS/RS LS3 M6 ,CRT, NPP, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Mast windage, Cam Motion Cam, trunnion upgrade, Stainless Power headers HFC, CAI w/kit, Vmax PTD, Fluidampr25% udp, LPW diff cover, BMR strut brace,trailing arms, toes, bushings, Rocket racing wheels,Toyo Proxes 4+, elite catch can, clutch reservoir, dash/body LED, DRL rewire, Sparks billet badges, Forza 3way, tint, MRT louvers, ZL1 spoiler, MGW short throw, Monster dual LT1S clutch, bleeder, support, high vol pump, Speed hut shift light, ACC flames stripes, Driven ls30 oil, NGK TR6IX , Granatelli wires.

Last edited by christianchevell; 10-07-2017 at 08:54 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote