Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 12-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
Casper954

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
To plastidip or to not plastidip?

I've been tossing around the idea of plastidip ping my whole car for a while now and I've finally come around enough money to get it done. What do you guys think? Good or bad idea? And if so I was planning on doing a blue like the one done on the s4 by dipyourcar. Tell me your guys' input and what color you think would look the best!
Attached Images

Appearance: Blacked out tail lights, Oracle Plasma fogs, SLP Carbon Fiber splitter, Carbon Fiber Hash Marks, Carbon Fiber ZL1 hood, 20" Giovanna Kilis rims, Eibach lowering springs

Performance: Straight-piped magnaflow exhaust, K&N intake
Casper954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
Casper954

I also have lower grille ducts now.

Appearance: Blacked out tail lights, Oracle Plasma fogs, SLP Carbon Fiber splitter, Carbon Fiber Hash Marks, Carbon Fiber ZL1 hood, 20" Giovanna Kilis rims, Eibach lowering springs

Old 12-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
Casper954

Here's a picture
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
Casper954

And this is my first choice for colors
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
I really dig the way your car is now, I think the blue plastidip looks like you put painters tape all over the car.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
mako22

Drives: 2017 HB 2SS
I'm doing my Eclipse a mix of black/gun metal and pearlizer next weekend like they did on the Audi R8. Bought 3 gallons and sprayer for $300 on cyber monday. If you do blue, I would suggest creating a custom blue - the "blaze" looks too bright and the navy blue sucks IMO
Old 12-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
a.morblu

Drives: 2011 Sinister SS
There are stories of plastidip leaving a yellow tint on white paint after it being on there awhile. I would ask around, but I think it's a great weekend DIY paint job and the matte finish is pretty slick. Go for it.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Personally, I wouldn't do it. A buddy just did it on his own Camaro and while cool for the first few days, as soon as it got dirty it became a pain. Bugs just never came off, certain scuffs made it look terrible and the tiniest rock chips looked absolutely terrible. Not to mention it wasn't a perfect spray so on parts where he wasn't perfect, they started peeling pretty quickly. In my opinion, it looked great at the beginning and just plain cheap after. If you're going to do it, just make sure you spray it right.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
Casper954

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako22 View Post
I'm doing my Eclipse a mix of black/gun metal and pearlizer next weekend like they did on the Audi R8. Bought 3 gallons and sprayer for $300 on cyber monday. If you do blue, I would suggest creating a custom blue - the "blaze" looks too bright and the navy blue sucks IMO
oh damm! can you post some pictures on here once you get it done!

Old 12-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
Casper954

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Personally, I wouldn't do it. A buddy just did it on his own Camaro and while cool for the first few days, as soon as it got dirty it became a pain. Bugs just never came off, certain scuffs made it look terrible and the tiniest rock chips looked absolutely terrible. Not to mention it wasn't a perfect spray so on parts where he wasn't perfect, they started peeling pretty quickly. In my opinion, it looked great at the beginning and just plain cheap after. If you're going to do it, just make sure you spray it right.
i feel you on that. i have some on the lower part of my front bumper and it holds up pretty well but it has a rock chip now and looks awful!

Old 12-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
BluePhoenix

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS ABM
I'm not a fan of the plastidip. Seems to have no durability at all, and it's got a rubber like feel to it I know that's what makes it easy to remove. Doing small parts is one thing but a whole car is crazy. I'd go vinyl wrap first.
2010 Camaro 1SS/RS, L99, ABM/Silver #160 of 3903

BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:32 AM   #12
Jenner

Drives: 2012 SS/RS
It'll look sick, but somebody on here had their hood plasti dipped and after he removed it his hood was stained.
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #13
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: Mini Cooper S
I was on the verge of doing my entire car in yellow but I then did some research. Turns out there have been multiple instances where the clear coat on people's cars have been damaged or stained by the Plastidip itself. The thought of that happening to my car scared me in to aborting the idea.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #14
mako22

Drives: 2017 HB 2SS
Plasti dip does not damage paint or clear coat. Of the thousands of success stories out there, you will find a few people who claim damage was caused by dip. Reality is that damage was either pre-existing or they used a non-recommended thinner. There are no chemicals in dip that would negatively affect paint. Do some reading on here and elsewhere, you will find it's a myth.