Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #57
rad

Drives: Ordered 1/22/10: SW 2LT/RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliEMT View Post
My aunt is an officer...She said just tell them that you tried to keep your eyes on the officer instead of taking the chance and looking over your shoulder and signaling and moving over (that you didnt feel you had time).
This is good!
rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:19 PM   #58
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
I always go to court for tickets..

Cop doesn't show up, ticket gets dismissed.

If the Officer does show up at the courthouse, he can't write any other tickets.
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #59
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabel1969 View Post
I myself don't call 911. PERIOD.. exceptions are when somebody is broken down on highway, and in need of assistance, when I witness an accident that requires police assistance/medical assistance/tow truck assistance. or when I caught the two knuckleheads trying to steal my truck and gf's car in my driveway AFTER I had them contained at gun point. Seems to me you assume an awful lot.

oh yeah, one more.. anybody tries to convince me there's no quota is full of it!! There are quota's, but around here, they're called "ticket writing campaigns".
There is no quota.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #60
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
I would plead the case as an honest mistake. I would explain the variables you had to contend with and if the cop is at the hearing even apologize to him. The guy probably just pulled over an asshat with a Tude, so he prolly wasn't giving the next guy a break either. Just try it, don't be an a-hole in court acknowledge your mistake and you might be surprised by the outcome.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #61
GMFan1111

Drives: Chevy malibu AKA the golden bandit
I say fight it but be prepared if the judge believes the cops testimony over yours. The best thing you can do is mention that there was a hill that you couldn't merge properly and that you had no time to react to give your case a fighting chance at dismissal. Also go to the scene and photograph the area and or observe other traffic. There was a lady on some TruTV show that got pulled over for a traffic light violation and she went to the scene the following day took over 20 photographs and even went the extra mile of using mathematics to prove that the timing of the light was incorrect and that there was no way the cop could've have known at the time that there was a violation
GMFan1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #62
jleinaweaver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
one detail you left out, did you slow down? Keep in mind, you aren't suppost to outdrive your stopping distance, hill or not. If you zoomed by him at 60+, it might be an uphill fight.

If you did slow down, fight it. Be 100% honest with the judge as to why you did what you did (didn't change lanes because you hitting someone in the left lane), that the traffic stop was at a poorly visible place due to the hill. If you have a good driving record, say so, tell the judge that you believe you are a very conscientious driver who takes great care with regards to safety as evident by your driving record (the judge will have access to that).

who knows, maybe you will still be found guilty, but the judge could cut the fine.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #63
Big Brunsy

Drives: 2010 supercharged LS3
Was riding with my buddy down a 4-lane highway with a median in the middle. There was a state patrol officer about 2 cars back when we met an ambulance with their lights on on the other side of the median. The officer pulled us over because we didn't slow down/move over for the ambulance......that was on the other side of the median needless to say that one got thrown out
Big Brunsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:43 PM   #64
billmiller8
Bill

Drives: Rally Yellow Bumble Bee 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESqezMe View Post
oo how i love all the comments like
a$$hole cops
quota

I am SURE you wont be thinking that next time you find yourself calling for one of those "assholes" to come save you a$$. Or maybe when your scared because you seen a "big scary bad looking" dude around your nice Camaro and would like Police to check it out...... O SORRY BUT ALL OF OUR OFFICERS ARE BUSY MEETING THEIR "quota" stopping people breaking the laws that were passed my the political people YOU elected!

The law is
http://www.isp.state.il.us/media/pressdetails.cfm?ID=98

It has more to do with gapers .. a$$hole people who take their eyes off the road so they can look ny the officer gas them pulled over
If you read my comment carefully " 99% are good cops " I guess for the other 1% " A-S-S-H-O-L-E-S " OR " POWER HUNGRY COPS " they feel all the crime in there state has been taken care of and they have nothing better to do but sometimes just screw with us. I have respect for that other 99% police officers I would not want to have there job and I feel they do not get paid enough for what they have to do.Thank you
billmiller8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:59 PM   #65
NoynuR

Drives: 2008 M3 ESS Supercharged 650Hp
i just got my very first ticket thursday im 18 and was driving down the main street in my neighborhood after school and i was doing 42 because the street i was on had no speed limit sign and so i thought it was 40 i see a cop ahead and hes right before my street and i slowed down to 25 to make the turn onto my street and made the turn and was doing 25 ish and glanced in my rearview mirror to notice he was behind me with his lights on i pulled over to the side and to my notice i was directly infront of my driveway he gave me a ticket for doing 42 in a 30 so i have 2 questions should i fight it and should i have just pulled into my driveway instead of stoping on the curb
NoynuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:02 PM   #66
SS-screamer

Drives: SIM RS/SS L99
I think you should have used punctuation.
SS-screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #67
jebckr

Drives: Black LS
Thank you everyone for your feedback. I have a professor that is a lawyer and I talked to him today. He basically said what a lot of you have said. I have nothing to loose by fighting it and he did mentin it's not uncommon for the officer not to show.

So basically, I'd go in, claim I didn't feel like I could merge safely and that I did slow down. Something I don't think I mentioned earlier is that I did hit the brakes pretty hard when I saw him and wasn't going 60+ when I passed him. Something he mentioned when he pulled me over is that he "didn't think it was cute how I hit the gas after passing him". I wasn't given a chance to explain that I was accelerating back to highway speed. I was never speeding, if I did I'm sure the grouchy officer would have pegged me with another ticket.

Oh, and as far as requesting the officer's notes, it is a no hap. I called and the guy said I can't have it unless I have an attorney. Anyhow, thanks again everyone.

jebckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #68
Dukeboy01

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS; 2001 Silverado
Go ahead and fight it. If his department's like mine, he gets paid overtime (minimum of two hours) to be there and watch the judge find you guilty anyway. KA- CHING!
Dukeboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #69
jebckr

Drives: Black LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeboy01 View Post
Go ahead and fight it. If his department's like mine, he gets paid overtime (minimum of two hours) to be there and watch the judge find you guilty anyway. KA- CHING!
Haha, thank you for your support...

jebckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:58 PM   #70
BEARS-SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-screamer View Post
I think you should have used punctuation.

BEARS-SS is offline   Reply With Quote