Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
XS power Headers clearance issues

So i just installed them into my car. I didn't get the full exhaust, just the headers.

We had some clearance issues. on the driver side the header rubs right up against the steering shaft. we dinged it in a little bit but it's still rubbing on the shaft and i can feel it when i make turns. kinda of annoying but it's not too bad.

the right header sits up against one of the frame rails on the car so once in a while you can hear it rattling a little bit. Again, nothing too bad but it's kinda of annoying, i drove the car 10 minutes from the shop to my house. gonna drive it some more and see if i can deal with the rattle before i pull them off and ding them to get them to not rub.

the car sounds AWESOME though.

i'm putting this up cause i know a few guys on here have bought these headers and have installed them and i want to see if they had the same issues.

Plus i'm a little concerned about having any issues down the line because of these things rubbing.

any thoughts?

I'm also hoping oversteering will chime in with a solution.
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
cpssr

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I had the same issue with the driver side and they sent me another header but still did not fix it. I dimpled it so it would not rub for now.
cpssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
I had the same issue with the steering shaft. I was told to dimple the header as well which I did using a socket laying on it's side. No more rubbing or noise.

It really isn't that difficult to drop the header, dimple it, and put it back on. I think it took about an hour to do it all.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
hopefully you didnt pay for headers that dont fit. arh, kooks, and even the $300 OBX headers(kooks knock off's) fit perfect
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
Alain

Yep. Dimpled both of them and issue solved. Don't mean to create any negative beef with this system. I was just baffled that I was having this problem and no one else was (at least no one that I know of). I honestly though I had done something wrong while installing them.

Last edited by Alain; 01-16-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
xxlbeerz

Drives: 2010 Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
Yep. Dimpled both of them and issue solved. Don't mean to create any negative beef with this system. I was just baffled that I was having this problem and no one else was (at least no one that I know of). I honestly though I had done unethical g wring while installing them.

I was waiting to buy until I saw some people installed, didn't see anyone saying this before we bought them. Maybe that's what clearanced meant...
xxlbeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
Alain

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxlbeerz View Post
I was waiting to buy until I saw some people installed, didn't see anyone saying this before we bought them. Maybe that's what clearanced meant...
Did you install yours yet?

I wanna let everyone know that even though I had these issues with the headers, they fit perfectly once we dimpled them.

Oversteering actually contacted me and offered to correct the issue.

So people, don't panic. The product and Oversteering are both legit !!!
Old 01-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
Irnwkrkev

Drives: 2011 SS/RS LS3
"legit for a product that doesn't fit". I guess people will start arguing now that for the price they are a good deal even if you have to "dimple" them. As far as I'm concerned this should not have to be done and if Oversteering really backed his product he would "dimple" them before you recieved them. Oh wait, you probably get them direct from China.
Irnwkrkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #9
Alain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irnwkrkev View Post
"legit for a product that doesn't fit". I guess people will start arguing now that for the price they are a good deal even if you have to "dimple" them. As far as I'm concerned this should not have to be done and if Oversteering really backed his product he would "dimple" them before you recieved them. Oh wait, you probably get them direct from China.
if you got nothing productive to say keep your mouth shut and your stupid comments to yourself.

thanks.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:51 AM   #10
103FrazzL

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Oh wait, you probably get them direct from China.
Exactly thats why i spent the extra and bought my ARH headers and don't have to worry. $36,000 vehicle = get good quality headers or keep the stock ones
Old 01-17-2011, 08:52 AM   #11
USNSCPO
Gearhead

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:

Fit PERFECT. And they're made in GEORGIA, USA.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #12
Alain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 103FrazzL View Post
Exactly thats why i spent the extra and bought my ARH headers and don't have to worry. $36,000 vehicle = get good quality headers or keep the stock ones
Uhm, I don't have to worry either. I had to spend a little extra time on the job but mine fit perfectly now and my car runs and sounds great lol. Oh yea, guess what, I now have an extra $500 to spend on something else lolololol.

Lets not start this bullshit on here. Start your own thread if you're gonna do that.
Thanks
Old 01-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #13
metallicide

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
you get what you pay for ....kooks fit PERFECTLY...but glad you saved a few bucks!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:43 AM   #14
Alain

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicide View Post
you get what you pay for ....kooks fit PERFECTLY...but glad you saved a few bucks!
now that's a way to make a comment and not insult anyone. thank you.

i know that the kooks fit perfectly, the guys that did the install for me had just installed a set of kooks on someone else's camaro just a few weeks earlier and they told me the same thing.

but again, there really wasn't that much to the modification we had to make. and i'm definitely glad i saved a bunch of dough.