Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
CPDSS

Drives: 2010 SS M6
Considering Headers

those that have installed headers, did you go with some brand of coating? my car is really only a weekend car so is it even worth getting the headers coated?? my buddy installed headers on his 2000 SS without coating and really had no problems with corrosion. will uncoated just run hotter and be more suseptable to corrosion?
CPDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
If you buy a quality set of headers (look for 304 SS) then no coating is needed for corrosion protection. A lot of companies that only offer them coated do so because they use cheap steel and do need it. Emotions run high on both sides of the coated versus bare headers debate but I have never seen anything documenting coated headers making more power. It certainly doesn't hurt though.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:38 AM   #3
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
We offer coating on even the highest quality stainless headers we sell because it helps keep the heat down under the hood. Coating is not gonna win a race for you, but the heat reduction properties are still very important. On our dyno, we can take a Camaro with coated headers, do a run, and then 5 minutes later, the header has cooled down enough you can touch it. Try that with the stock manifolds, or uncoated headers, and you will end up with a burn. A cooler engine runs better, and makes better repeatable power. If you buy a set of nice headers like Kooks..do you need coating? ..no it is not a necessity. However it is nice to do.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:04 AM   #4
103FrazzL

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
We offer coating on even the highest quality stainless headers we sell because it helps keep the heat down under the hood. Coating is not gonna win a race for you, but the heat reduction properties are still very important. On our dyno, we can take a Camaro with coated headers, do a run, and then 5 minutes later, the header has cooled down enough you can touch it. Try that with the stock manifolds, or uncoated headers, and you will end up with a burn. A cooler engine runs better, and makes better repeatable power. If you buy a set of nice headers like Kooks..do you need coating? ..no it is not a necessity. However it is nice to do.
Maryland speed is a stand up guy i mean he selling the coating and did say you dont need it. Very honest!! and i would have bought my headers from him but i went with the ARH and he doesnt sell them. The coating like maryland speed said are to keep engine temp. down and also for cosmetics. The uncoated heads will turn colors however the coated will not. I got my ARH not coated and i do love them but im kinda regretting not getting mine coated for cosmetics reason but if u dont show ur car then its not need. Hope u find the answers ur looking for.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
Josh@ARH

Drives: 2013 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPDSS View Post
those that have installed headers, did you go with some brand of coating? my car is really only a weekend car so is it even worth getting the headers coated?? my buddy installed headers on his 2000 SS without coating and really had no problems with corrosion. will uncoated just run hotter and be more suseptable to corrosion?
Coating is not a necessity at all. We can recommend a place to get our headers coated but I personally run uncoated headers on my GTO and my 600rwhp Corvette without any issues.
Josh@ARH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I coated my headers just for the cosmetic aspect of it. They look great and will for a long time.

If you buy from Maryland Speed it's especially worth it because of how cheap he is able to offer it.

But...as others said.....do you need it. No. If you are on a budget and it doesn't fit well into your budget then don't do it. However, if you even remotely think you want it then you should do it before installing them so you don't have to go through the process of taking them off, coating, and then putting them on again.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #7
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPDSS View Post
No need to coat the headers period...

I have ARH on two vehicles now, Camaro and truck and the two are classed as "Show Vehicles" and if I thought thier was any advantage for comestic reasons to coat them; I would have.

I highly recommend the ARH line, made in the USA, backed by superior customer service!
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4

Last edited by thespymaster; 03-23-2011 at 12:57 PM.
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #8
Josh@ARH

Drives: 2013 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post

I have ARH on two vehicles now, Camaro and truck and the two are classed as "Show Vehicles" and if I thought thier was any advantage for comestic reasons to coat them; I would have.

I highly recommend the ARH line, made in the USA, backed by superior customer service!

Josh@ARH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #9
ScottieBlkSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh@ARH View Post
Coating is not a necessity at all. We can recommend a place to get our headers coated but I personally run uncoated headers on my GTO and my 600rwhp Corvette without any issues.
Josh is telling the truth, I also run ARH on my 11' 2SS and have used them on my other cars for years, I am a dealer with them and have NEVER one time had a problem with Nick and gang, they have fabulious customer service and stand behind their product and like spymaster said they are all made in the USA including their cats unlike some of the other top competitors I wont mention. But never one time had a fitment problem or corrosion problem either, Highly recommended by I.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post

+1
Old 03-23-2011, 11:11 PM   #10
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
I went back and forth on coating and ultimately went with coating. If your gonna spend the money why half ass it and not coat them. They'll looks great forever and reduce heat.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:02 AM   #11
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Drives: (2010 2SS/L99) (1999 Corvette)
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I know Doug Thorley expressly says not to coat their headers.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:45 AM   #12
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcd View Post
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I know Doug Thorley expressly says not to coat their headers.
Doug Thorley headers come already coated?
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:31 AM   #13
Snake Slayer

Drives: Awaiting 2014 C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcd View Post
I think you mean "not to wrap their headers" my 08 c6 with ARH long tubes held up very well in the FL heat/rain and humidity and they are uncoated. I think coating is a personal choice kinda of like brand selection.
Snake Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:12 AM   #14
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
American Racing Headers (ARH) Leads the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh@ARH View Post

Tell NICK , I said "HI"

Will be representing "ARH" this week at the Camaro for Heroes Wounded Warrior Fundraiser this weekend in Fayetteville, NC

As a side note , I see some LT's claimed made in the USA, when in fact they are not!.............. ARH LT's are 100% made in the USA
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote