Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 10-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #71
Camarotobeornottobe

Drives: 1LE
Since the OP never reported back, I'm guessing he took the advice in Post #28 . . .
Camarotobeornottobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:24 AM   #72
MountaineerTom

Drives: Summit White 2014 2LT
Like I told my sons when they started driving and I was teaching them how to do some maintenance on their vehicles, No one will take as good of care of your vehicle as you will. I also told them there will be times when some jobs will be more than you can handle, but that's ok, do what you can and learn about your car/truck and take care of it.

I learned that from my dad too.
MountaineerTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:56 PM   #73
jag107

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM M6
Jiffy Lube filled cars from oil drums, not jugs with foil tops last time I was there....in 2003. They were upselling "multiweight" oil ("oh, you want 15-w40? That's extra. Your price just includes 30 or 40 wt." And what API rating did that oil even have? Who knows.). Watched the "professional" check the trans fluid level in my work truck with the engine turned off. I have done all services on all my vehicles, including company owned ones, since.
Would be nice to hear back from the OP about if he got the foil out or not.
jag107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:58 PM   #74
Exgie

Drives: Porsche 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mayfield View Post

how does that happen??

Yeah. When I first read it i was thinking how in the world do you possibly botch an oil change?
Exgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #75
Exgie

Drives: Porsche 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by satxrider View Post
Did the OP ever come back to say what was the final result?

I think he hung himself for any of a number of reasons.
Exgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:24 PM   #76
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTZ View Post
Yeah, any updates? Hopefully, it has a happy ending.
A few of us needed a happy ending
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:01 AM   #77
BGKySS

Drives: Cyber Grey 2010 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
I bond with my car every time I drive it, wash it, detail and wax it, etc.
The rest I leave to a professional. Life's too short imo.
And the OP could be like me and others and think that life is too short to wash, detail and wax it" but enjoy spending time doing the mechanical side keeping our cars nice. So that when we are out enjoying them, we know it can handle whatever we throw at it.

OP Just pull the valve cover. Its something easy that can be done quickly and gives you a peek inside the heart of the beast.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:23 AM   #78
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
It makes no sense saying life is too short to change your own oil. I can do it way faster myself and know it's done properly without anyone putting their oily hands everywhere. You drag your car up there and sit around waiting for a simple oil change.

Lol at life's too short, you mean you're too lazy.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:53 PM   #79
1FASTZ

Drives: 1969 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thAnniversary2SS View Post
It makes no sense saying life is too short to change your own oil. I can do it way faster myself and know it's done properly without anyone putting their oily hands everywhere. You drag your car up there and sit around waiting for a simple oil change.

Lol at life's too short, you mean you're too lazy.
You guys must have slingshotted right to the end because, I already went into great detail about the time it takes to change your own oil and how you get some of your life back by doing it yourself. I just didn't call anyone lazy
1FASTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:10 PM   #80
Pluto

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
OP show us a sign of life! Did you get it or not? haha Come back to us buddy

Small, but effective mod list:

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:42 PM   #81
Mouse6.2

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6 NPP
Mouse6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:26 PM   #82
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
okay, here's what happened….. the OP started the process late that night in his garage. He was attempting to remove the valve cover when he heard a noise outside. He walked out of the garage and looked around. It was just a large dog by his trash cans. So the OP went back to work. The next thing he hears is scraping at the garage door. He had just found the piece of foil and was carefully lifting it out of the engine when the scraping noise got louder. The OP placed the foil on top of his work bench and opened the garage door…..

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:25 PM   #83
Pluto

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMADONNA View Post
okay, here's what happened….. the OP started the process late that night in his garage. He was attempting to remove the valve cover when he heard a noise outside. He walked out of the garage and looked around. It was just a large dog by his trash cans. So the OP went back to work. The next thing he hears is scraping at the garage door. He had just found the piece of foil and was carefully lifting it out of the engine when the scraping noise got louder. The OP placed the foil on top of his work bench and opened the garage door…..
And theeeeeeennnn...

Small, but effective mod list:

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:17 AM   #84
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
X2- Buy a $40,000 car and and change your own oil. Makes no sense to me...
WTF buy a 40k dollar car an let some unknown monkey with pliers change your oil? Makes no sense to me, how many pieces of foil do you have in your engine that you don't know about, not to mention the dirt filled funnel they poured your oil through

The poor guy made a mistake, but at least he knew and even though it may take a little work he can fix the problem without any damage to his motor. If the lube shop or dealer makes a mistake, not likely there going to mention it or worry about it and guess what you're screwed down the road.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote