Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
DREV LSX

Drives: Its the Millenium Falcon
V6 VMAX CNC TB Removal/Installation

Hey ladies and gentlemen, we are very glad to see that the Camaro5 members have had great success with the VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Bodies that myself and other vendors have been selling for years to all the other GM vehicles. On the V8's they have been delivering great results in overall driveability and performance. And now on the V6's it has been nothing short of the same results in performance and driveability. We get a lot of calls from our V6 clients that have purchased their VMAX CNC TBs and wanted to tackle this mod on their own but were not sure in their mechanical aptitude. We have put together a step by step procedure with pics for those that need a reference. Its very easy and most will probably be able to complete it in about 30 minutes or less. We hope you enjoy it and it helps out.

1. Start of by disconnecting the battery. This will eliminate the possibility of setting off a code. (Service Engine Soon light, Service Stabilitrak, etc....) Then remove the oil filler cap and lift off the intake manifold plastic engine cover. Once you remove the engine cover, put back the oil filler cap to prevent anything from dropping into the engine that shouldn't.

2. This is what you should see. Next remove your intake tube from the throttle body.You will need a small 1/4" drive ratchet and a small extension with an 8mm socket to loosen the hose clamp at the TB inlet and at the air cleaner or airbox if you have the stock intake. This particular Camaro has an aftermarket CAI and removes the same way.

3. This is what should be staring back at you. The stock TB. You will need to disconnect the harness that is connected to the TAC (Throttle Actuated Control) harness. GM's fancy term for the electronic throttle body harness on the throttle body. See step 4. some will have a white or grey retainer on the connector. This one did not have one. If it has one use a small screwdriver or a tip of a pen or scribe to push it and slide it out.

4. Squeeze the middle of the connector and slide it out of the harness.

5. Now you will need a 10mm socket attached to your ratchet or extension. You are going to remove 4 total 10mm bolts that hold the Throttle body and the metal gasket. One of those bolts, the lower left one on the TB holds the bracket on the TB harness. Between the TB and the intake manifold mounting flange is where the metal gasket is. You will see it in step 6.

6. Once removed, place it on your workbench or table. Be careful not to drop it or you can damage the connector out back or crack the plastic motor case. If you do, remember YOU WILL LOOSE YOUR CORE DEPOSIT. We cannot accept a damaged TB connector. We cannot use it in the core exchange to a fellow Camaro5 member if it is damaged. This is the policy of our supplier and all the other vendors that sell the VMAX CNC Ported TBs. You can see the metal gasket that goes between the TB and the Intake manifold mounting flange. You can also see the TAC/Throttle body control harness. It comes with the TB when you remove it. Below is what your connector at the TB should look like and when we receive it, it should look like this.

Make sure it looks like this guys. No cracked or broken or missing connector guides. We just want to make sure that all other clients get a working part. Remember that you would not want to receive a broken or inoperational part for your car.

7. Now turn the stock TB over and you are ready to remove the TB harness from this TB and to be reconnected onto your new VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body. Use a small pocket screwdriver or the tip of a pen to push down on the retainment clip and use your other hand's fingers to slide out the clip like you see below.

8. Once you slide the clip out, squeeze the center of the connector and remove the harness from the TB. It is now ready to be installed on the VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body.

I personally like to add a little dielectric grease to my electrical connectors. It is not a necessity, but chance favors the prepared mind!!! It protects electrical connections from moisture and corrosion between the connections and promotes better conductivity between the circuits. You are ready to connect your harness to your VMAX CNC Ported TB.

9. Here it is!!! If it doesn't say VMAX CNC and Serialized, its not the real deal!!! Now you connect your harness to the VMAX CNC Ported TB and reinstall the retainment clip. Just slide it back in and it should click in place and look like the picture.

10. Here is the VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body with the harness and the metal gasket ready for installation. Install 2 of the 10mm bolts and put them through the two upper holes on the TB and screw them in to the gasket to help hold it when you install the TB on the intake manifold like you see in the picture below.

It should look like this ready to install on the intake manifold without worrying about the gasket falling off during installation.

11. Once you have lined up the 2 top 10mm bolts on the TB that are also holding your metal gasket, run them in by hand. On the lower left hand of the TB is the harness you first disconnected from the harness on the TB. It has a bracket that needs to be held in place by the 10mm bolt that goes in to TB.

12. After starting all 4 10mm bolts, tighten them down with your ratchet. Do not "Gorilla them down", they only require 89in.lbs of torque or 7ft.lbs of torque. If you dont have a torque wrench just snug them down. Don't trust your "calibrated" elbow. You can overtorque and break something.

12. Now connect the harness to the TB harness. As you can see I added some dielectric grease to the connector.

13. Now reinstall your intake elbow and tighten hose clamps.

14. Remove now your oil filler cap and reinstall your engine cover and reinstall your oil filler cap. Reconnect your battery and you are now done. Time to fire it up and go for a ride and feel the difference from your stock TB to the VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body!!!

We hope that this will help a lot of you DIYers out there. Have fun and thank you for all your support of VMAX and myself and the other vendors that carry the VMAX CNC TBs and Ported Intakes!!! Very special thanks to Blacktip for his time and his super clean Camaro that made this write up possible. Thanks man!!!

Last edited by DREV LSX; 10-20-2011 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Edit
DREV LSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Great thread! Very well done!

What about disconnecting the battery before installation? I've heard some people having issues with CELs doing this install.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
Elykson
Custom One Off

Drives: 2010 Chicago Blackhawks Edition #1
Thanks for the DIY write up. Hopefully I'll get mine Friday. It's going on right away!
Old 10-19-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
cyberLS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey LS
getting mine tomorrow.
cyberLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:28 PM   #5
DREV LSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
Great thread! Very well done!

What about disconnecting the battery before installation? I've heard some people having issues with CELs doing this install.
Thank you Chad. I didn't want to be too detailed, but I wanted to make sure all levels of skills would benefit from it.

I dont disconnect the battery, although its a good idea to do so. In the shop we have the Tech 2, HP Tuners, and Snap On Modis so clearing codes is not an issue. But for the average owner that does not have access to these tools, disconnecting the battery is a good idea.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #6
DREV LSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elykson View Post
Thanks for the DIY write up. Hopefully I'll get mine Friday. It's going on right away!
You are very welcome! I sent out about 9 TBs so chances are one of those is headed to you.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:32 PM   #7
DREV LSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberLS View Post
getting mine tomorrow.
Thats awesome! Please let us know what you think of it!!!
Old 10-20-2011, 12:02 AM   #8
kenkartasasmita
COTW [4/23/12]

Drives: Camaro Of The Week.
where did u buy the TB?
kenkartasasmita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:25 AM   #9
Blacc Mamba
SoCal HT5

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Great, thanks for write up, mine should be here for the weekend
Old 10-20-2011, 01:36 AM   #10
DREV LSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkartasasmita View Post
where did u buy the TB?
We sell them. Contact us.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:40 AM   #11
DREV LSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacc Mamba View Post
Great, thanks for write up, mine should be here for the weekend
You are very welcome Mamba! you should have it for the weekend.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:56 AM   #12
11 Camaro IBM

Drives: Camaro IBM
Great! Getting mine tnrw after I take the car into chevy for warranty work if anythings wrong might as well get it out of the way before I mod more
11 Camaro IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:15 AM   #13
Blacktip

Drives: 2011 1LT Silver RS package
Nice write-up Johnny ...This mod is awesome. The car feels better and better.

The guys at D Revolution provide excellent service, and support. along with great products.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #14
DREV LSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktip View Post
Nice write-up Johnny ...This mod is awesome. The car feels better and better.

The guys at D Revolution provide excellent service, and support. along with great products.
Thanks a lot bud, I couldn't of done it without you. Car feels like a whole different monster!!! cool.

Tags
cnc ported tb