Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
70 years ago, June 6th 1944

On this day 70 years ago the nations of the world looked to the coast of France. The Allied nations sent their invasion ashore in Normandy to eliminate the tyranny of Nazi oppression in Europe.

British and Canadian troops stormed beaches called Gold Juno and Sword. US troops went ashore at Utah and Omaha beaches. US Army Rangers scaled the cliffs at Pointe du Hoc in the face of machinegun fire. US paratroopers landed inland in a confused drop that they turned to their advantage by initiative and courage. British glider troops dared and won at Pegasus bridge.

German troops weren't always German. Some were conscripts from conquered territories. Two were even Korean.

US Navy destroyers couldn't knock out shore batteries even with direct hits in some cases. At least one captain risked his ship by coming in dangerously close to the beach to duel the guns. Men drowned in the surf before they set foot on the beach. Others struggled inland only to be killed before they even saw the enemy.

But the Allied invaders triumphed and ultimately achieved their goal of ridding the world of the Nazi menace, and they did that with courage and resolve and blood.

Take a minute out and visit Google Maps. Type in "Pointe du Hoc". There's several 'street view' areas on the actual battlefield there, bomb craters and all. And to the East of that is the US Cemetery which likewise has several 'street view' areas, including one in a chapel. Take a minute and think about what happened there. Lest we forget.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:20 PM   #2
Rob3D

Drives: Car
I once visited a WWII cemetary in Normandy many years ago. I will never be go back there again.
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:20 PM   #3
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Landing at Omaha Beach, no words can or could describe the courage of our brothers of old to beat back darkness that had to be beaten:
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:25 AM   #4
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
people either are blissfully unaware or ignorant of all the sacrifices made here and through out WWII. great men doing unimaginable things in order for us to have freedom. WWII wasn't a guaranteed victory. thousands of brothers, dads, uncles and friends lay in eternal rest at this location. I appreciate the post.. a personal side note, I had returned from a yr long deployment and had recently moved. my old quiet next door neighbor saw me in uniform. we talked for while off n on for days. he finally told me he served in WWII, left home gone for over four years, never sure he was going to return alive or simply at all. he served here at this and many other battles. he and his generation were the greatest generation, I salute him and all who served!
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:42 AM   #5
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
If you can read this thank a teacher. If you can read it in English thank a solider!
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote