Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-26-2014, 10:38 PM   #1
Pluto

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
I can't tell if I have an exhaust leak after headers????

You know what sucks about living in a small town? You have no other cars to compare to...I just recently installed TSP 2" headers and I'm trying to see if I have an exhaust leak. When I'm riding along, mostly next to walls or other cars, I hear a light ticking. When I get out of the gas and coast in neutral it goes away. Is this "ticking" normal? It's very light and you can't really hear it at all with the windows up. If it's normal I'm cool with it, if not I need to fix it. It doesn't get any louder with acceleration and it doesn't have the "psst psst" noise its just ticking. Actually the roar from the exhaust and engine together cancel it out once you pass, say, 2,800 rpm. Any help is appreciated.

Small, but effective mod list:

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:55 PM   #2
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
All headers "tick." Cast iron exhaust manifolds are thick and fabulous at suppressing engine noise and exhaust pulsations. When you switch to a comparatively thin header, ESPECIALLY STAINLESS STEEL headers because they're quite thin, you start hearing all kinds of new ticks you couldn't hear before.

In this case, ticking is a poor judge of whether or not you have an exhaust leak. Instead, check for soot. If you have an exhaust leak, after a few weeks you'll start seeing black carbon deposits around seals and gaskets. If you see black rings or streaks, you have a leak. If after a few weeks the connection points are spotless, you're tight as a drum.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:08 PM   #3
Pluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
All headers "tick." Cast iron exhaust manifolds are thick and fabulous at suppressing engine noise and exhaust pulsations. When you switch to a comparatively thin header, ESPECIALLY STAINLESS STEEL headers because they're quite thin, you start hearing all kinds of new ticks you couldn't hear before.

In this case, ticking is a poor judge of whether or not you have an exhaust leak. Instead, check for soot. If you have an exhaust leak, after a few weeks you'll start seeing black carbon deposits around seals and gaskets. If you see black rings or streaks, you have a leak. If after a few weeks the connection points are spotless, you're tight as a drum.
Ok good to know...the only thing I see on the head is a brown spot in one place but I just installed them and didn't wipe the head down after install...it doesn't look like a new mark either...cleaning it tonight and checking in a week

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #4
Dupree878

Drives: '13 Dusk Edition 2SS/RS M6
Mine have always ticked...especially next to barriers that reflect sound like you describe.

Ive heard it in every car with headers
Old 10-27-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
BenningJ

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree878 View Post
Mine have always ticked...especially next to barriers that reflect sound like you describe.

Ive heard it in every car with headers

| LS3 | CAI Inductions, Inc Intake | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Dynatech 1.875" Long Tube Headers | Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam | BTR 7.400" Push Rods |LS2 Dampener | Melling 10296 Oil Pump | IWIS Chain | BTR .660" Dual Valve Springs | BTR Trunion Upgrade Kit | Lethal Racing Tuned | Anvil Notch Spoiler | BMR Split Drop Springs | Eaton TrueTrac | GM 3.91 Gears | LPW Diff Cover | Rohana RF2 275/40 20x10F 315/35 20x11R | BMR Polyurethane Motor Mounts
BenningJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:17 AM   #6
Pluto

Please excuse the newbie...I modded diesels in my passed life haha

Old 10-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
I agree with the guys above, my car is noisier after headers, just like described.

If you have an exhaust leak up at the heads it would get louder and faster under load/increased rpm. It's usually quite noticeable as well, without something for the noise to reflect off of.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:40 PM   #8
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
That's someone relieving to know. I also have 2" TSP headers and I swear I have a leak someone. No soot or anything of the sort but, I also hear ticking. On previous cars, I heard nothing of the sort so, I just assumed that I had a leak. I'd still keep an eye out if I were you, just in case.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:07 PM   #9
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
You know what sucks about living in a small town? You have no other cars to compare to...I just recently installed TSP 2" headers and I'm trying to see if I have an exhaust leak. When I'm riding along, mostly next to walls or other cars, I hear a light ticking. When I get out of the gas and coast in neutral it goes away. Is this "ticking" normal? It's very light and you can't really hear it at all with the windows up. If it's normal I'm cool with it, if not I need to fix it. It doesn't get any louder with acceleration and it doesn't have the "psst psst" noise its just ticking. Actually the roar from the exhaust and engine together cancel it out once you pass, say, 2,800 rpm. Any help is appreciated.
ticking or hissing can sometimes be a result of an exhaust leak. It can sometimes be hard to detect with long tubes. I had the same issue after I installed my headers. After so many miles it seemed like the Headers loosened up at the mid pipe and that's where my sound was coming from. I found it easier to detect if I pulled the car next to a wall and let it idle. get down real low between the wall and your car. It's almost like the wall help the sound echo a little bit. This may help you can point where the sound is coming from.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:13 PM   #10
Pluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemuscle View Post
ticking or hissing can sometimes be a result of an exhaust leak. It can sometimes be hard to detect with long tubes. I had the same issue after I installed my headers. After so many miles it seemed like the Headers loosened up at the mid pipe and that's where my sound was coming from. I found it easier to detect if I pulled the car next to a wall and let it idle. get down real low between the wall and your car. It's almost like the wall help the sound echo a little bit. This may help you can point where the sound is coming from.
Was the ticking while driving? If I just let the car idle it doesnt tick at all...hardly in the engine bay..not like what I hear while driving under load...also it goes away from 2800 rpm and up..then my barton shifter kicks in and makes its racket lol

Old 10-27-2014, 04:40 PM   #11
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
I checked a few months ago and had several soot marks on both sides of the motor where the LTH's were connected. The person that installed them used the stock gaskets instead of the silicon that Stainless Works recommends..

Another fellow Camaro owner checked his (same LTH's, same installer) and did not have any signs of leaking..

Just FWI to any SW LTH owners...
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:05 PM   #12
Dupree878

Drives: '13 Dusk Edition 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskacamaro View Post
I checked a few months ago and had several soot marks on both sides of the motor where the LTH's were connected. The person that installed them used the stock gaskets instead of the silicon that Stainless Works recommends..

Another fellow Camaro owner checked his (same LTH's, same installer) and did not have any signs of leaking..

Just FWI to any SW LTH owners...
Headers should be re-torqued after install after they've gone through some heat cycles and time. I put a wrench on mine every oil change just to assure they're still snug.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #13
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
I remember about a month after I bought my car, I noticed the ticking. I was so pissed, thought I had a bad lifter.

From what I have read here on C5 the ticking is normal for our cars to tick. After I installed my LT's and deleted my cats I hardly notice it anymore. People say that the LT's will make the ticking worse, yet for me I think it helped it.

As stated previously in this thread. You will want to recheck the torque on all your nuts and bolts. They will loosen up after some miles on the car.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:17 AM   #14
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
Ok good to know...the only thing I see on the head is a brown spot in one place but I just installed them and didn't wipe the head down after install...it doesn't look like a new mark either...cleaning it tonight and checking in a week
I couple things:

I would recommend you retighten the bolts where the headers meet the gaskets/heads on your motor. They tend to back out slightly from the initial vibrations of the motor. After you retorque them after a week or so of driving they should stay put.

Your best chance of leaks are at the collectors underneath the car where the headers meet the cats and the cats meet your crossover pipe. Check your band clamps for soot, or whatever method you used. I'm assuming you didn't weld your collectors.