Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-15-2009, 01:51 PM   #57
JohnForeman

Drives: 2010 2SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftshark View Post
Same here, anyone else?

Does this void the warranty? What sort of gas mileage are people getting after tuning the AFM out?
I've had my AFM turned off for about 500 miles and i'm averaging around 21mpg on the hiway. I did a short 30 mile run with AFM on and cruise set at 57mph and the car was showing 27mpg. I thought that was pretty good. Anyhow, I bought the car for power not mpg. I'm glad that it gets good enough mileage that I didn't have to pay the gas guzzlers tax like i did on my 300C SRT8. As for other issues with AFM, it looks like a split camp. I did notice when mine was kicking in and out not only by feel, but that awful rattle that at first had me thinking i had a tranny problem. Once I tuned it out (Predator Tuner), no sound, no kick-in kick-out surging.
JohnForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:37 AM   #58
ftshark

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS CGM
What I would really like is a switch that allows the driver to switch between 4 & 8 cyl. Let me choose when to save gas. When gas prices get to $5 again I may want 4 cyl all the time.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:00 AM   #59
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnForeman View Post
I've had my AFM turned off for about 500 miles and i'm averaging around 21mpg on the hiway. I did a short 30 mile run with AFM on and cruise set at 57mph and the car was showing 27mpg. I thought that was pretty good. Anyhow, I bought the car for power not mpg. I'm glad that it gets good enough mileage that I didn't have to pay the gas guzzlers tax like i did on my 300C SRT8. As for other issues with AFM, it looks like a split camp. I did notice when mine was kicking in and out not only by feel, but that awful rattle that at first had me thinking i had a tranny problem. Once I tuned it out (Predator Tuner), no sound, no kick-in kick-out surging.
I have yet to break 20mpg after 900 miles of driving and fuse-pull at 500. I can't locate 93 gas here though so I use 92.
I may be doing a little heavy footing but I think for the most part I'm fairly easy on it now after doing the break-in accelerations, etc.,
wrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:33 AM   #60
ORANGE U NV

Drives: The Wife Crazy
My wife doesn't notice the AFM.... but it really distracts me when I drive. The slight hesitation, brief vibrations and buzzing sound drives me crazy! I use the tap shift for some relief, but the clicking of the buttons drives my wife crazy. I know the car is not perfect, but I love it so much...EXCEPT FOR THE DAMN AFM.

Without a doubt I will have to tune it out, but I keep putting up with it for the warranty. I was gonna wait the 5 years....then 3 years....now it may be sooner. If your on the auto vs stick fence....go with the stick. You save $1200 from the start, an exhaust w/out a large resonator, 26 more hp and save more money not needing to tune it. We ordered w/out driving one, but who knew they could make such an annoying automatic.

I had a '95 Trans Am auto w/ the LT1 and loved it.........I expect I will enjoy this car as much or more but after it's tuned.

2010 2SS IOM/IOM L99 Black Rally Stripes, Polished Wheels, Loudmouth II, Rotofab CAI, IOM Heritage Grille,Tune by Jeremy Formato (Fasterproms Tuning).
ORANGE U NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:48 AM   #61
SS-screamer

Drives: SIM RS/SS L99
The AFM is annoying me so much that I somewhat regret getting the car. I can't enjoy driving the car b/c of all of the burping, vibrating and hesitation under light acceleration. Accelerating it is great but traffic driving is a drain on my patience with the AFM kicking in and out multiple times between lights. I usually drive with the paddles but they are a hassle to shift with, especially when turning corners.

I want to get a tune (and headers) but my wife is scared about losing the warranty and doesn't want me to go through with it.

All this to tell you to get a manual; b/c, I wish I had.
SS-screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #62
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
You won't even notice AFM.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:54 AM   #63
SS-screamer

Drives: SIM RS/SS L99
Sorry if a little down on the car right now (my razorbacks lost last night). But I believe driving should be an experience. The culmination of several factors including the sound of the exhaust, feel of car through the steering wheel, torque under acceleration as well as confidence in the aggressive appearance of the car. However, it's not all clicking with me.
SS-screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #64
1-SS

Drives: 2010 camaro SS, 2007 gsxr 750
How bad does the AFM sound with headers long or short.
1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #65
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftshark View Post
What I would really like is a switch that allows the driver to switch between 4 & 8 cyl. Let me choose when to save gas. When gas prices get to $5 again I may want 4 cyl all the time.
Unfortunately, the government doesn't allow that for the EPA testing. If you get the choice as a customer feature, then the test gets run with it in V8 mode and you would be paying the guzzler tax. GM elected to not have the Camaro (and it's customers) be subjected to that tax. Some of you may not have cared and would have paid the extra dough.

The G8 GXP with the LS3 Automatic had the guzzler tax and no AFM.

For me, I've driven GM cars with AFM. It is on the G8 GT, the Full Size Trucks and the Camaro. Some people are more sensitive to it than others and this clear in the posting. I can tell, but you have to really try to hear and feel it. So some people will call it seamless and others will notice.

Also, the Camaro with AFM has a unique exhaust system engineered specifically for AFM. That's why when you put in an aftermarket exhaust, you will notice it much more. GM goes to great lengths to isolate the exhaust from the body because of the vibrations in 4 cylinder mode.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:31 AM   #66
1camaro70

Drives: 2010 2SS RS L99
AFM is not a reason not to buy the car, at slow speeds I notice it, I think, no way to tell if that is it or maybe trans lockup or something else, there is no AFM indicator, just individuals thinking thats it, or was it.
And now to be sarcastic...........the warranty, according to most camaro5 members will be voided by everything, using 87 octane, using 93 octane, tuning, headers, exhaust mods, CAI.didn't GM design it with 400 HP and expect it to be used and based on experience it should be engineered to take much abuse, if your affraid that you might void the warranty, park it in a garage and don't drive it, or better yet don't buy it and make one available to someone who will love it for what it is.............a performance car.
1camaro70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #67
1badSS/RS

Drives: Rally Yellow Transformers pkg
Only had mine since Wednesday, but I haven't even noticed it. Our Silverado has it and I notice it sometimes on it. Not a bad thing, just sounds different when it goes to 4. I wouldn't let this make me hesitate at all.
1badSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:02 AM   #68
ftshark

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Some people are more sensitive to it than others and this clear in the posting. I can tell, but you have to really try to hear and feel it. So some people will call it seamless and others will notice.
I have to agree. Not all people are alike, some can hear a certain tone while others can't. I personaly can hear it and I don't like it.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:16 AM   #69
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
How long do you guys hold a particular speed before you notice AFM kick in?
will it go into 4-cyl mode at any speed?
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:25 AM   #70
ElAntonius

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS A6
AFM kicks on at pretty much any speed (well, there's a point where the car needs all 8 cylinders to maintain speed, but we aren't doing top speed runs in AFM mode :P).

It's not at all noticeable at highway speed. It tends to be a bit more noticeable at lower speeds, especially as you engage/disengage it by changing speeds a lot.

It's honestly not annoying. You hear it when it switches on, but after that the car is pretty much quiet. I've never had any hesitation with regards to acceleration.