Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
Zman12

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
New to Camaros need some suspension advice.

Let me first start by saying I am new to camaros but not cars in general. I have always owned cobras and wanted something different this time an am loving the camaro so far.

Last week I bought an awesome Cammed and Whippled camaro from the for sale board here from a great member. Along with the car he included alot of suspension componets he had not installed yet. So my question is from the parts list below what should I install and what if anything do I still need. It is a few different brands should I try and stick with the same brand on everything or try and sell some and purchase others. Also any advice for any possible issues or problems with any of these parts. Do I need camber bolts when lower? You get my point. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Pedders:
428020/27a Sway bar
220032 front springs 1" drop
220033 rear springs 1.5" drop
EP6577 radius rod bushings
EP1167HD Differntal bushings
EP1201HD subframe bushings

BMR:
TR003H toe rods

PFADT:
1410118 trailing arms

What if anything should I do at same time or change about this list. Car has 626 rwhp and will be mainly a weekend street car with some trips to the 1/4 drag strip.
Zman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Looks like a pretty solid setup since you did inherit it from the previous owner. All those parts will play well with each other, although every company has different ideas as far as what will work the best for each particular product. I'm not sure it's how any of the Vendors would have put a kit together, and while it may not be optimal from that perspective it should be pretty functional when it comes together.

For best drag strip performance you actually don't want too much negative camber, so the stock adjustment bolts should be good for your setup.

Go have fun with the new car! Looks like a blast.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
This is a very good read --> Suspension-The Book
Old 08-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Your car with the parts you have listed should be awessome. The key to making it all work is a good alignment. Is there any chance the previous owner provided an aligment ssheet?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
Zman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Your car with the parts you have listed should be awessome. The key to making it all work is a good alignment. Is there any chance the previous owner provided an aligment ssheet?
Thanks for the feedback so far. No alignment sheet given. Car only has 5k on it so it may still be factory alignment. Been trying to do some research on all of these parts. Since I seem to have the HD bushings will I have a large increase in road noise. I guess it cant be any worse than the horrible drone from the exhaust at 70
Old 08-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #6
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman12 View Post
Thanks for the feedback so far. No alignment sheet given. Car only has 5k on it so it may still be factory alignment. Been trying to do some research on all of these parts. Since I seem to have the HD bushings will I have a large increase in road noise. I guess it cant be any worse than the horrible drone from the exhaust at 70
Some 5th Gen diffs are pretty quiet. You may be one of the lucky ones. My suggestion would be to get your 5th Gen off to the alignment shop and follow these specs.

Please make sure you get a before and after printout and follow up with you driving impressions.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
Zman12

I am assuming you are talking about getting the alignment once I get all of this installed right? Would not like to pay for two alignments. Any comments about the EP1201HD as far as being mainly a street car? Or should I look at exchanging these for the EP1201. I just don't want to regret installing of this when I am done. Also the same with the springs is the 1.5" drop in the year to much for a mainly street driven car? thanks again for all of the help just want to get it all right the first time. I assume this won't be a lot of fun laying on my back in the garage.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #8
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
I have the Pedder's bushings and coilovers; I also have the HD bushings in the diff. They do not add any noise. Replace the oil in the trans and diff with Royal Purple and you'll be amazed at how much quieter they become.

My project thread might have some useful info for you:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45165

The Pedders bushings make a huge difference in the way the car rides, handles and performs. Well worth it.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
I am assuming you are talking about getting the alignment once I get all of this installed right? Would not like to pay for two alignments. Any comments about the EP1201HD as far as being mainly a street car? Or should I look at exchanging these for the EP1201. I just don't want to regret installing of this when I am done. Also the same with the springs is the 1.5" drop in the year to much for a mainly street driven car? thanks again for all of the help just want to get it all right the first time. I assume this won't be a lot of fun laying on my back in the garage.
No, you want the HD bushings since you have so much horsepower. The amount of flex back there when you apply the power can cause too much movement of the diff and drivetrain. The 1201 bushings are recommended for cars with hp up to 450; I have less than that and I STILL had too much flex under full power so I switched from the regular 1201 to the 1201HD and problems were solved.

If you're sticking with the factory 20" wheel size then a 1.5" drop is fine. If you go down in wheel size it will still work but you have to watch clearance on steep driveways and some speed bumps in parking lots.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #10
Zman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
No, you want the HD bushings since you have so much horsepower. The amount of flex back there when you apply the power can cause too much movement of the diff and drivetrain. The 1201 bushings are recommended for cars with hp up to 450; I have less than that and I STILL had too much flex under full power so I switched from the regular 1201 to the 1201HD and problems were solved.

If you're sticking with the factory 20" wheel size then a 1.5" drop is fine. If you go down in wheel size it will still work but you have to watch clearance on steep driveways and some speed bumps in parking lots.
Thanks for the advice! As far as installing all of this is there preferred order to go about it. Looks like doing all at once is the way to go but I am talking about as I am doing it. Like subframe bushings then toe rods then trailing arms etc. Any advice on what order? Thanks again
Old 08-05-2011, 02:40 PM   #11
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Thanks for the advice! As far as installing all of this is there preferred order to go about it. Looks like doing all at once is the way to go but I am talking about as I am doing it. Like subframe bushings then toe rods then trailing arms etc. Any advice on what order? Thanks again
I can do this! Lets see if Pete laughs or gives Kudos!

Quote:
Pedders:
428020/27a Sway bar #2
220032 front springs 1" drop #3
220033 rear springs 1.5" drop #3
EP6577 radius rod bushings #3
EP1167HD Differntal bushings (can be done with #1 and will probably be best time)
EP1201HD subframe bushings #1
BMR:
TR003H toe rods #3

PFADT:
1410118 trailing arms #3
Don't see endlinks but you can use the stock ones as well.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #12
Zman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
I can do this! Lets see if Pete laughs or gives Kudos!

Don't see endlinks but you can use the stock ones as well.
Thanks yeah I think the sway bar end links are in the bag the sway bar is in. Pretty sure I saw them in there.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:01 PM   #13
mhog

Drives: 2010 V6 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Let me first start by saying I am new to camaros but not cars in general. I have always owned cobras and wanted something different this time an am loving the camaro so far.

Last week I bought an awesome Cammed and Whippled camaro from the for sale board here from a great member. Along with the car he included alot of suspension componets he had not installed yet. So my question is from the parts list below what should I install and what if anything do I still need. It is a few different brands should I try and stick with the same brand on everything or try and sell some and purchase others. Also any advice for any possible issues or problems with any of these parts. Do I need camber bolts when lower? You get my point. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Pedders:
428020/27a Sway bar
220032 front springs 1" drop
220033 rear springs 1.5" drop
EP6577 radius rod bushings
EP1167HD Differntal bushings
EP1201HD subframe bushings

BMR:
TR003H toe rods

PFADT:
1410118 trailing arms

What if anything should I do at same time or change about this list. Car has 626 rwhp and will be mainly a weekend street car with some trips to the 1/4 drag strip.

Wow! He hooked you up! Why did he sell?
mhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #14
Zman12

Needed to get rid of the car and everything came with it.