Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-04-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
55Designs

Drives: 2010
Boston Acoustics System is by far Horrible in every respect. I am ripping it out ASAP

not sure even if I paid extra for it but it sucks 100%. I have spent so much time adjusting and messing around with optimistic hope that just maybe i can save this system from the trash bin in my shop. No luck whatsoever.

OnStar blows, last 3 times I used it they got me lost and caused me massive traffic jams. So for me to loose Onstar is not gonna make me cry.

Ok its not an uber expensive car but there was so much hype about this premium audio system and I cant see any of this hype.

Doors rattle, speakers distort when you crank from 30 and up. There isnt even audible levels of audio until you hit like 18+ on the rotary knob. My 24 bit CDR from the studio sound AWFUL. The head unit is the main issue along with poor amplification.

I was going to try and do a simple basic upgrade by just adding bass but thats not gonna cut it. Bass isnt the solution to what I want.

I have just pulled some of my audiophile car audio gear out from storage and I am mapping out the design of the system now. I am going all out using the absolute best stuff you can ever find sonically. Mcintosh, Morel, Dynaudio, Zapco Comp and Scanspeak.

I am not too excited about all the labor and expense and I promised myself I would never do a system in a new car because most new cars sound pretty decent. Well my BMW M5 has literally spoiled me silly so My goal is to match or exceed those levels on the Camaro. Not a easy task.
Not going to do any fancy displays and massive sub enclosures I am going to knock down the sound floor by sound proofing the car this week then build the system for clean SPL and clarity.

if I didnt love the car so much I would just sell it but thats not happening. Music is so important to me for my other business and I spend 60% of my days on the road so its the only thing I have to keep my sanity driving in the NY Tri State.

Gonna be a long 2 months ahead for me to get this project done.
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:05 AM   #2
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Subscribed

Think I mite see were your getting at ... The stock BA system in my brother in law's Magnum was very lacking

When it was cranked up ... it was just loud and uneven, bass was okay

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:09 AM   #3
55Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
Subscribed

Think I mite see were your getting at ... The stock BA system in my brother in law's Magnum was very lacking
This system sucks so bad and Im such a music freak I have no choice.

Drove the Camaro for 9 hours this weekend and I was so fed up I just turned it off and went deaf with the windows down and the wind.

I am going to do a step by step build along the way to share with everyone because it will be unique in design. I regret not gutting the car over the winter months.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:00 AM   #4
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Knowing you this will be nice...
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
55Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indpowr View Post
Knowing you this will be nice...
The heart to the build is me choosing which audiophile head unit which i already have. The Mcintosh MX5000 or the Clarion HX D2. Google them you cant buy them in the states only in Asia and they are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ but have the best internals for sonic perfection.

I think the Mac looks too old school for the Camaro so the HX D2 most likely will be my choice.

Im saving the Mac for one day when I get a Aston Martin.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Designs View Post
not sure even if I paid extra for it but it sucks 100%. I have spent so much time adjusting and messing around with optimistic hope that just maybe i can save this system from the trash bin in my shop. No luck whatsoever.

OnStar blows, last 3 times I used it they got me lost and caused me massive traffic jams. So for me to loose Onstar is not gonna make me cry.

Ok its not an uber expensive car but there was so much hype about this premium audio system and I cant see any of this hype.

Doors rattle, speakers distort when you crank from 30 and up. There isnt even audible levels of audio until you hit like 18+ on the rotary knob. My 24 bit CDR from the studio sound AWFUL. The head unit is the main issue along with poor amplification.

I was going to try and do a simple basic upgrade by just adding bass but thats not gonna cut it. Bass isnt the solution to what I want.

I have just pulled some of my audiophile car audio gear out from storage and I am mapping out the design of the system now. I am going all out using the absolute best stuff you can ever find sonically. Mcintosh, Morel, Dynaudio, Zapco Comp and Scanspeak.

I am not too excited about all the labor and expense and I promised myself I would never do a system in a new car because most new cars sound pretty decent. Well my BMW M5 has literally spoiled me silly so My goal is to match or exceed those levels on the Camaro. Not a easy task.
Not going to do any fancy displays and massive sub enclosures I am going to knock down the sound floor by sound proofing the car this week then build the system for clean SPL and clarity.

if I didnt love the car so much I would just sell it but thats not happening. Music is so important to me for my other business and I spend 60% of my days on the road so its the only thing I have to keep my sanity driving in the NY Tri State.

Gonna be a long 2 months ahead for me to get this project done.

Agreed with everything this guy said until I saw BMW. Then I remembered this is a muscle car first, boom box second. But agreed that the stereo sucks, which is fitting as it has sucked in every stock fbody as well.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:53 AM   #7
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
No offense.. but yet another person who expects a sound system thats a $500 option to sound like one from a $90k car. Considering the pedigree of equipment you seem to prefer you should never even have bothered to turn this stereo on.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:56 AM   #8
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
No offense.. but yet another person who expects a sound system thats a $500 option to sound like one from a $90k car. Considering the pedigree of equipment you seem to prefer you should never even have bothered to turn this stereo on.

Boston Acustics isnt known for making junk, which is why I didnt expect this to sound like junk. My buddies sentra typ r had a better stereo and the mustang mach 500 (or whatever it is) still sounds way better.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:01 AM   #9
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Designs View Post
The heart to the build is me choosing which audiophile head unit which i already have. The Mcintosh MX5000 or the Clarion HX D2. Google them you cant buy them in the states only in Asia and they are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ but have the best internals for sonic perfection.

I think the Mac looks too old school for the Camaro so the HX D2 most likely will be my choice.

Im saving the Mac for one day when I get a Aston Martin.
We are not huge audiophiles but went with higher end equipment I.e. Hertz high energy, audison, arc.
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:04 AM   #10
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Serves it purpose for me...I don't really listen to the BA system when driving as I would much rather hear the sounds of the engine!

But I'll agree with you that it is lacking since i've had higher end systems in my other cars I've owned. I don't plan to do anything to this system as I want go-fast parts more!

(*disclaimer...at this time I want more go-fast parts!! Who knows down the road!)
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #11
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
my system sounds fine.so much better than my last car.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:59 AM   #12
SuperFly03

Drives: 2010 Kona Blue GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango Foxtrot View Post
Boston Acustics isnt known for making junk, which is why I didnt expect this to sound like junk. My buddies sentra typ r had a better stereo and the mustang mach 500 (or whatever it is) still sounds way better.
I think you have issues man.

By the time I get to 30 my ears are bleeding the thing is so loud. Sounds there is a problem with your stereo or something. My iPod, XM, BT AD2D, and CD are all plenty loud enough at 20. Hell, I have the stereo at 5 when I'm talking to my GF and is still kind of loud.

I've had Lexus' and I've had Mercs... the BA system does as good a job as good as their systems... minus the bass of course.
SuperFly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:11 AM   #13
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
I think the boston sucks.. already did the SQ JBL Sub and JBL GTO series amp. now to add the big GTO and the high end components and get rid of those crappy 6x9's and go to a regular speaker.

Im going to use a Focal "Be" speaker up in the center spot.

I will post when the job is complete.. I will have under 3500 in this setup with the factory head unit.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #14
55Designs

Reason I mentioned my BMW was that for years I mean 20+_ BMW had notorious crap audio system even the premium ones.

When I got my M5 I paid $700 for enhanced Premium option and all I can say is the system rivals almost every aftermarket one I ever heard over the last 5 years. it make my friends cry when they hear my car versus the 5-7k they spent on theirs.

My speakers are so well broken in, yes speakers do require break in and the car just screams.

I wasnt expecting my Camaro to even come close but my friends 2010 Mustang stereo kills the Boston Acoustics in every way. Similar priced cars.

I never used Boston Acoustics aftermarket stuff so i dont know much about the brand or its reputation.

As much as I wanted to avoid gutting the car and doing this I dont have much of a choice for my driving enjoyment.