Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #43
c4maroboy
[HOONIGAN]

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1848[The HOONIGAN MOBILE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
Any car you care about+automatic car wash=
Don't get me wrong, i love my car more than most, but you have to remember that its still a Camaro. I baby my car, but I don't baby it like it's worth ten times more than it really is. I've understood from the beginning that these tires/rims are very large and are not made to go through automatic car washes but like most auto manufacturers, they tend to exaggerate on the do's and dont's of their cars. i did not have problems going through car washes for almost a year, i was just unlucky in the fact that the guy at the wash who guided me into the tracks/ belts of the wash wasn't careful one time.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #44
z28-conv

Drives: '97 z-28 conv. 2013 BRM ZL1 conv.
Sorry , but I guess the manufacturers exaggerated too much on the, dont take through a carwash because the wheels were too big to fit without damage?
z28-conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #45
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4maroboy View Post
Don't get me wrong, i love my car more than most, but you have to remember that its still a Camaro. I baby my car, but I don't baby it like it's worth ten times more than it really is. I've understood from the beginning that these tires/rims are very large and are not made to go through automatic car washes but like most auto manufacturers, they tend to exaggerate on the do's and dont's of their cars. i did not have problems going through car washes for almost a year, i was just unlucky in the fact that the guy at the wash who guided me into the tracks/ belts of the wash wasn't careful one time.
If it's only a Camaro, then why do you care about the rims being all scuffed up? No big deal right? Not like it's a Ferrari Enzo wheel or something.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #46
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
If you take that approach, then IMO you will be in store for more marks. If you care for your car's appearance, then you'll do all you can in order to have it looking its best at all times...regardless of its make. That's one of the things that makes detailing fun....using good products, practices and techniques to insure your car looks its best. If and when your car is at its best appearance...meaning no swirls, no spots whatsoever, and waxed or sealed to the premium, then you should be able to park it next to any car....and not feel upstaged or embarrassed.

So...not to lecture anymore; enjoy the car and from time to time pick up some detailing tips and tricks to have it looking its best. You'll cut down on the occasional oops and marks, and you'll enjoy it better IMO.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #47
tmandoug1
Deep Sea

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnice View Post
I wonder what else the dealer took off the car that I should know about?
Did you check your springs for big ugly yellow things?
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:10 AM   #48
rjbuck

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemisis View Post
That sucks but it's an easy fix. I had curb rash on a couple of my rims and sandpaper fixed the scratches, primer and dupli color high temp engine enamel I think de 1634, it's semi gloss or satin black. Way cheaper than paying someone $150 per wheel to fix or almost 1k for a rim.
This is true. However, if you mess it up it could be costlier to have someone correct what you screwed up.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:57 AM   #49
Led Boots

Drives: 2013 2ss 1le ashen gray
My 2013 1le was delivered with the same tag which the dealer placed directly in my hand as she explained that car washes were verboten.
Led Boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:03 AM   #50
sporto20

Drives: 1. 2010 2SS (sold) 2. 2013 ZL1 M6
There was a post on here recently, in the wheel section, about a black marker that can be used to cover the scratches on the black wheels (if you are looking for a cheaper alternative to replacement). It can be purchased from any gun shop. Might look it up?

Ported Supercharger, Snout and TB
Rotofab CAI
Kooks 1 7/8” Headers w/ high flow Cats
LPE GT9 Cam,
BTR Springs and Comp Pushrods
160 degree thermostat
2.55" Upper/9.1" Lower SC pulley w/ balancer
LPE solid isolator, ID850 Injectors
LPE heat exchanger w/ fans
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch
Custom Tune
sporto20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #51
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:

I believe it was you that was driving the car correct? It just took a year for you to finally make a mistake! Maybe he was exaggerating also?
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:24 PM   #52
aquablueL99
Jackson's COTW

Drives: 1968 Camaro & 2010 Camaro 2SS
We have learned from experience that we only use a "Laser Touchless" car wash...there are no tracks to guide you...only a laser....

Buying new wheels is way too expensive...no matter whether on our 2010 Camaro or on Kathy's 2013 Taurus LTD....

Check your location for the nearest Laser Carwash...

Kurt ABL99...
Old 08-31-2013, 08:37 PM   #53
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
i have no recollection of catching a curb or anything like that...but i do run my ZL1 through a drive through wash from time to time. Could this be a product of that? Just noticed today and its really got me mad
...there is a warning from GM/Chevy stating that one should not run the ZL1 through a car wash because there is an issue with the car not fitting properly with the tires and wheels through a car wash. It's even in the manual as I recall.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:55 PM   #54
580/556 ZL1

Drives: 2013ZL1/A6/T.BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Did you go for the separate Tire & Wheel Warranty? I forked out the extra cash. Nail in my tire w/600 miles, and then they damaged the rim while changing out the tire. Took months to get the new rim, but it didn't cost me a dime. Not sure they would cover the rim under this circumstance/damage but it would be worth a shot. I'll look at the paperwork to see what damage is covered for the rim. Not sure when you purchased the car, but I think you have several weeks to still get the warranty.
it make's me crazy when i think it will be time to change my tire and let my baby sit in stupid hands that don't give a shit about my rim or any other rim, its all the same for them,i can even say worst...the guy can tell you that the scratch was there before and that's not he's fault at all to not pay the rim.
i hate dealers you can't even imagine
Old 08-31-2013, 10:30 PM   #55
zirotti

Drives: 2013 ZL1
$150 to repair that. Absolutely no need to buy an entire new wheel. That can be repaired and powder coated.
zirotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:26 PM   #56
Orbrooks

Drives: 2013 1LE
So just figured I would chime in I daily my 2013 1LE and unfortunately while parked at my job my car get's a fair amount of "fall out" from the plant. If unchecked it's pretty bad haze the windows fade the paint etc. I get my car washed once or twice a week and waxed every 3 months to combat this. I use a reputable car wash that's bonded and insured. It isn't laser guided it's the old style tracks and I haven't had a single problem rims and paint are still showroom condition. They also regularly wash a ZL1 with no problems. I talked with them before they did the first wash they assured me if any damage occurred they would fix it.
Orbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote