Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the Mustang?
Hate it. Plain and simple. 11 7.19%
Improvement... but not my cup of Tea 27 17.65%
Love it, its my next car. 25 16.34%
Its cool, but its not a Camaro. 90 58.82%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 05:17 PM   #3907
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
I believe the suspension is going to have to be strengthened quite a bit for it to hold an extra 100 horses, and have the results proportionate to the 2010 GT's.
Nothing needs to be changed in the Mustangs suspension to accomodate the newfound power. Both the GT and the GT500 share the same suspension although spring rates and such are different between the two. if they need something stronger for the GT, they can just pull it from the shelf of parts already produced for the Shelby. It's not like they have to re-engineer anything.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:18 PM   #3908
fazm

Drives: ex-500hp v6 mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSARME View Post
I love all this hype about the new mustang. Why don't we just see what happens and the truth of it when it comes out, instead of speculating?

If it comes out and is faster than the camaro, that's fine... It will just give Chevy a reason to make our camaro's even more superior to your mustangs....

Just look at it right now.. Your 2010 GTs have 315 horsepower, while our SS have 400-426hp. So you can come out with a GT that has 416hp, that's cool, but then who's to say we won't come out with a Camaro with 500hp?

future camaros, but not yours lol
Old 12-20-2009, 05:21 PM   #3909
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Quote:
So, to sum it up. Stock for stock my camaro has more horsepower than your mustang. Is a lot better looking than your mustang. Is a lot more comfortable than your mustang. And pulls more g's than your mustang, unless you tweak it with a "track pack."

Got it. Thanks for clearing that up for me!
Oh relax! Just make sure people aren't out there plotting against your car!
Old 12-20-2009, 05:24 PM   #3910
KarFan

Drives: 2023 SGM Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
In reality GM is the one who set the bar at it's current level in the Pony car wars. The 2011 Mustang updates are Ford's very serious answer. The same way they upped the ante with the 3.7L V6 with 305hp and 30mpg is the same type of attack they will officially put down against the Camaro SS at the NAIAS in just a few weeks. GT500 news to follow. Ford is serious and so it the Coyote 5.0L project. They like many of us knew the return of the Camaro was long in the making and they had a good idea of what it would be packing so the 2011 Mustangs are their answer.
I've heard 412hp and just less then 400ft/lbs of torque as well. Don't expect the weight of the Mustang to go up very much either. Likely less than 100lbs over the current curb weight. That would put the power to weight ratio in Fords favor.

On Chevy's side there is a lot they can do to keep the SS on top. The suspension and IRS could use some further refinement and more performance oriented tune. The 6M needs gears. A 3.73 option from GM would go a ways in harnessing the power of the LS3taxed with moving over 4000lbs of race weight mass.
Maybe a performance exhaust option that could not only pick up a few HP but also drop some weight as many of the aftermarket systems have shown to do.
GM could put this all in a package something like Fords Track Pack.
2002 White Camaro Z28 A4
Old 12-20-2009, 05:24 PM   #3911
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Quote:
But they are!

Can't find any alligators in Oklahoma to tie to my car :(

You should look up Clark Griswold. He's great at tying animals to his car!

Seriously, I can't believe all that crap happened to you. You didn't pay all out of pocket for the damages, did you?

Sorry to get off-topic folks....
Old 12-20-2009, 05:25 PM   #3912
Jinx
Owner of Shunt

Drives: 2001 Mustang GT vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
Nothing needs to be changed in the Mustangs suspension to accomodate the newfound power. Both the GT and the GT500 share the same suspension although spring rates and such are different between the two. if they need something stronger for the GT, they can just pull it from the shelf of parts already produced for the Shelby. It's not like they have to re-engineer anything.
Bingo. Spring rates are a matter of setting up, not weight.

Support the "JINX CAMARO FUND" at http://www.zazzle.com/jinxdesign
Old 12-20-2009, 05:28 PM   #3913
jrc1122

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
Is there some sort of Mustang / Camaro rivalry I was unaware of? .. lol... j/k
Old 12-20-2009, 05:32 PM   #3914
Jinx
Owner of Shunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
I'm honestly asking, because I haven't been keeping up for awhile, but I seem to remember that the 2010 and previous Mustangs didn't meet 2012 safety regulations (as the Camaro and Challenger already do). Is that still true, and if so any ideas on how much more that is?
On that note, I have this:

Quote:
Top safety marks expected
Mustang's technological advances are also incorporated in the structure of the vehicle to improve safety. The 2010 Mustang coupe earned the U.S. government's top five-star crash-test rating, a designation the 2011 model is expected to achieve.

The Mustang's considerable body stiffness contributes to the coupe and convertible's driving performance and has a parallel benefit in accident protection. While the coupe's body structure is approximately 31 percent stiffer than the previous Mustang platform, the convertible's is more than twice as stiff – creating a structure that helps protect the cabin from deformation and intrusion in an impact.

Mustang also uses high-strength steel in its body structure and ultra-high-strength steel in the door intrusion beams for additional side-impact protection.

The front structure's crush zones are computer-designed to absorb energy in a controlled manner and help dissipate it before it can reach the passenger compartment. Ford engineers have run thousands of design iterations of the Mustang's front rails to arrive at an octagonal shape that helps spread crash forces evenly to aid in protecting occupants.

State-of-the-art technology adds to the convenience and safety of the 2011 Mustang, from the availability of the latest version of Ford SYNCŪ, with applications such as Traffic, Directions and Information, 911 Assist™ and Vehicle Health Report, to standard AdvanceTracŪ Electronic Stability Control, which complements the all-speed traction control and standard Anti-lock Braking System (ABS).

Additional standard safety equipment includes the Personal Safety System™ which features dual-stage driver and front passenger air bags, safety belt pretensioners and Belt-Minder.

^this is only real change I can see. Which seems to result from replacing old with revised stuff. If it add weight, the driver may have to take a piss before stay within my speculated numbers. But not mention of 2012 requirements.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:40 PM   #3915
DropTheGloves
Account Suspended

Drives: 2009 TT 335/2009 GSX-R 1000/ECT..
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_chef View Post
do they still occur?
Not sure. I haven't visited a gto forum in a long time. Try checking out www.ls1gto.com or ls2gto.com out, I am not even sure if that is the correct website addy or not actually. Just google up LS1 OR LS2 GTO forums. They will tell you if they still do it or not. Another good site to check out for info on the mustang in regards to performance is svtperformance. Lot's of knowledge, and when it comes down to buying performance parts, the best places to buy from are lethal performance and livernois.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:46 PM   #3916
Jinx
Owner of Shunt

Quote:
Ford says that it has kept curb weight under 3500 pounds for the coupe

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...hotos_and_info
Mustang V6 curb weight: 3421

-new DOHC engine, over a old SOHC engine
-dual exhaust
-Upgraded suspension

^same stuff for the GT.

So if Ford can keep it under 3500 for a V6, I doubt anything safety oriented is going to make the GT exceed 3700.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:51 PM   #3917
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Yea 3700 is probably the max of what is possible.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
Old 12-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #3918
big hammer

Drives: 2002 ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAT 79 View Post
Close to it, 380 to the wheel maybe?
at very best yeah. doesnt sound like it responds very well to mods.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:57 PM   #3919
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DkknightX View Post
390 torque even with reduced hp could handily beat the SS off the line,
That 390 torque is not at the wheels though.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:23 PM   #3920
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
Because i am not dumb enough to assume and post all over the internet how sure i am that this will happen with this and bla bla bla... I KNOW FOR SURE it won't gain for than 150lbs and you can quote me on that. that's about the only thing i am sure enough in saying. how some of you guys are quoting 300+ lbs is beyond me i can only say that it's wishful thinking on your part. ehh that's how the internet be's i guess.
Easy man. I hate to break this to you, but the 6 speed and Brembos are going to add weight, Id say about 30lbs for the 6speed alone. Add in the Brembos and if they offer 20" wheels and you hit that 150lbs fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
Why would GM have to update? their camaro has more HP and IRS... i don't see what they have to update? explain...

You mean to tell me GM has to update a 426hp camaro w/track tuned IRS because a 412hp log axle mustang came out?

Actaully GM didnt need to update the Camaro since 1993 to beat a Mustang gt. Im just saying.

Closed Thread