Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 09-20-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
76z28

Drives: 1976 camaro
m3 vs camaro vs isf

So what are peoples opinions on these cars?
which one is the best bang for the buck for drive ability and power
quickest one?
76z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
Kurt_OH

Drives: BMW, Hyundai
M3 = most like a sports car. Unreal handling, fast enough in a straight line, good brakes.
IS-F = nice engine, very good handling, similar but a tick slower than M3. Probably outlast you.
2SS = think race truck, when compared to these two. Fast in a straight line, not close in the curves.
Kurt_OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:42 AM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
All 3 cars are within 20 hp of each otherIt has been beaten to death that the M3 is indeed faster than the Camaro. Main reason is the transmission since they have a similar power to weight ratio but the SS has much more torque. It will also have much better handling. But at nearly twice the cost of an SS its hardly a contender for 'bang for your buck'

IS-F, acceleration numbers are at best identical to the Camaro and possibly a tad slower. It is slightly better than the Camaro with regard to handling, so performance is pretty even between the two. Again it costs nearly twice as much as an SS so no more bang for your buck there.

The Camaro gets better fuel economy and bolder, more distinctive styling. The two luxury cars will obviously have more features and a higher maintenance bills (any guesses as to how much an 8 speed auto tranny from Lexus will run you?). Drivability, you'd need someone with seat time in all 3 to really know that one and it would be best if you were the one doing the testing. But odds are, the Camaro would feel the most comfortable on the road since the design focus wasn't purely for on track performance
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
36k for a 2SS with options compared to 54850 starting for an M3 and ISF starts at 57, while cosiderably more expensive, it's hardly double the price. The only numbers that are sticking out for the ISF are a 12.8 1/4 mile and .91 G on the skidpad, and a horrible ride. The Oct C&D had a long term wrap up on the ISF, of course it's a toyota poroduct, so mostly good (ugh), but there was a lot of complaining on the ride, words like seasick were used and saying the ride was rough even on smooth roads. I'd skip it...........
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
36k for a 2SS with options compared to 54850 starting for an M3 and ISF starts at 57, while cosiderably more expensive, it's hardly double the price. The only numbers that are sticking out for the ISF are a 12.8 1/4 mile and .91 G on the skidpad, and a horrible ride. The Oct C&D had a long term wrap up on the ISF, of course it's a toyota poroduct, so mostly good (ugh), but there was a lot of complaining on the ride, words like seasick were used and saying the ride was rough even on smooth roads. I'd skip it...........
Why compare a car with options to a base MSRP, especially when those options don't come close to making the cars equally equipped? In my mind, an SS is ~$31,000, so when I say nearly twice as much I figure its a pretty accurate statement, particularly when considering the following:

The M3 sedan is 54,850 but the coupe (which makes more sense when comparing to the Camaro) is an extra $3000. Oh, and add $825 for destination. And there should be a $1300 gas guzzler tax in there for the M3 though BMW may have included it in their pricing since it never shows up on their build site. Anyway, an M3 coupe in any colour other than black or white, with the dual clutch transmission, works out to $62,125.

The Lexus doesn't have much in the way of options (except for a $3925 navigation and entertainment package), but it does have an $875 destination charge. So an IS-F with that 1 option comes to ... $62,560.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 09-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76z28 View Post
So what are peoples opinions on these cars?
which one is the best bang for the buck for drive ability and power
quickest one?
Camaro
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #7
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Why compare a car with options to a base MSRP, especially when those options don't come close to making the cars equally equipped? In my mind, an SS is ~$31,000, so when I say nearly twice as much I figure its a pretty accurate statement, particularly when considering the following:

The M3 sedan is 54,850 but the coupe (which makes more sense when comparing to the Camaro) is an extra $3000. Oh, and add $825 for destination. And there should be a $1300 gas guzzler tax in there for the M3 though BMW may have included it in their pricing since it never shows up on their build site. Anyway, an M3 coupe in any colour other than black or white, with the dual clutch transmission, works out to $62,125.

The Lexus doesn't have much in the way of options (except for a $3925 navigation and entertainment package), but it does have an $875 destination charge. So an IS-F with that 1 option comes to ... $62,560.

Going with the optioned Camaro is to make it loser optionwide, there are 15k econo cars that come better equipped than a 1SS, why add options to the others cars the Camaro doesn't even offer? In any case I agree the Camaro is the best bang for the buck as far as purchase to acceleration ratio,
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Going with the optioned Camaro is to make it loser optionwide, there are 15k econo cars that come better equipped than a 1SS, why add options to the others cars the Camaro doesn't even offer? In any case I agree the Camaro is the best bang for the buck as far as purchase to acceleration ratio,
And without any options either of those cars are nicer equipped than a loaded 2SS/RS. Its sorta like losing a football game 28-7 or 28-14, does the touch down really change things? Its still a clear loss, you just don't lost by as much. And does losing 35-7 feel that much worse than 28-7?

For the M3, one of its prime features is the DCT, and paint ... well, that was merely to show how they 'get you' with every little detail. Plain black or white, thats free. Red, blue, or silver? $500 please. Conviently, building a blue M3 coupe with the DCT came to almost exactly 2x the cost of a 1SS. The Lexus, since I had gone and built a $62,000 M3 I wondered what it would take to do the same for the IS-F. In retrospect, this does make it a little misleading, doesn't it?

So, without any options at all on any car and excluding destination fees, just the car here is where we sit according to the manufactures websites:

M3 coupe: $57,850
Lexus ISF: $57,760
1SS Camaro $30,245

2SS/RS $34,630

So if you don't consider 1.7x to 1.9x more expensive to be 'nearly twice as much' then I guess they aren't. Just for fun, an absolutely fully loaded 2SS/RS Camaro with every possible box checked: $45,465. M3? $77,274, or 1.7x more.

None of the above prices are with destination fees.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 09-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #9
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
I will take an M3 any day. Had a 2001 M3 and loved it. There is just no comparison in handling and the feel, fit, finish, and quality of materials in the cockpit. I was juuusssttt about to buy a 2008 M3 when I heard about the Camaro. I love my 2SS but just no comparison in my opinion.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The BMW and Lexus will both have better interiors in terms of materials. Style and ease-of-use is a matter of opinion. Personally, I do like the Camaro's interior layout and design better than both of the others.

Price, is a landslide...Camaro wins.

Performance -- it would be a drivers race between the three, imo.

So...Camaro -- best bang for your buck.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:35 PM   #11
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
The best deal is the Camaro. For the difference in price, you could spend that same money on a supercharger kit that brings your numbers way ahead of the competition. Would you rather drive a $60k Camaro SS packing forced induction with a Pedders suspension, 360 Forged 20" CF5IVE rims, and a custom carbon fiber package from DSV Customs or an overpriced import from Germany or Japan that looks half as good and won't keep up to your nearly $30k in mods? I think it's clear who wins this battle. For the same money, the Camaro is faster and yours through personalization or you can have everyone else's overrated BMW or Lexus. Don't get me wrong. Both of those cars are phenomenal machines, but I doubt you've been to a car show where all 3 cars are present. I have, and all the people were in the Chevrolet section.

In summary, for $60k, you can have the IS-F or the M3; for $60k, you can also have a Camaro SS with a Pedders race suspension, a supercharger, 360 Forged 20" CF5IVE carbon fiber rims, a DSV Customs set of interior panels to match your (my) interior, and a whole bunch of other parts that bring that 20-hp difference to a big advantage for your (my) Camaro. Tell me who wins now.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:57 AM   #12
walls

Drives: Infiniti G37S, Suzuki B-King
If the M3 wasn't so close to being THE perfect balance of luxurious sports coupe and track tuned weekend warrior, then I'd rip on it all day long about cost and this and that. It's worth every penny and it's simply silly to call yourself an enthusiast and not have this car in your top 5 "cars I want" list.
walls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:08 AM   #13
walls

Drives: Infiniti G37S, Suzuki B-King
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
The best deal is the Camaro. For the difference in price, you could spend that same money on a supercharger kit that brings your numbers way ahead of the competition. Would you rather drive a $60k Camaro SS packing forced induction with a Pedders suspension, 360 Forged 20" CF5IVE rims, and a custom carbon fiber package from DSV Customs or an overpriced import from Germany or Japan that looks half as good and won't keep up to your nearly $30k in mods? I think it's clear who wins this battle. For the same money, the Camaro is faster and yours through personalization or you can have everyone else's overrated BMW or Lexus. Don't get me wrong. Both of those cars are phenomenal machines, but I doubt you've been to a car show where all 3 cars are present. I have, and all the people were in the Chevrolet section.

In summary, for $60k, you can have the IS-F or the M3; for $60k, you can also have a Camaro SS with a Pedders race suspension, a supercharger, 360 Forged 20" CF5IVE carbon fiber rims, a DSV Customs set of interior panels to match your (my) interior, and a whole bunch of other parts that bring that 20-hp difference to a big advantage for your (my) Camaro. Tell me who wins now.
Why stop at the Camaro? It's a lot cheaper to buy a Miata and turbocharge it than it is to do all that stuff to a Cammy. And that Miata will eat your Cmy for breakfast lunch and dinner on any respectable race track.

My point is a Miata made to be a track car was made to be a track car. Same goes for the Camaro. The M3 is already all of those things AND more than that, it's done by the factory, is comfortable to impress your boss' clients in, and you won't lose money on mods...because let's face it...a 36k camaro with 20k in mods is still only going to sell for 18k after 3 years and you might get 5k back for your mods. The Beamer is going to fetch at least 40k. Now, who made the better financial decision?
walls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:06 AM   #14
JBsC6

Drives: 2008 Blk C6 Z51 NPP
the camaro SS is surely the cooler car to own. The m3 is a dime a dozen around here.. besides its better support american brands..

The fact its 31 grand is a clincher too.

Any magazines do a track performance test comparing the two yet?

Instead of an M3? I'd spend the 60 grand and buy a CTS V...

If I wanted to compare coupe to coupe? I'd buy the upcoming CTS V coupe..and if I wanted real style? The upcoming Camaro Z/28 with the same LSA motor as the V series...