Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
JAB
C_H_E_V_Y

Drives: Velocity Yellow C6 Z06
Cheap Mod Im trying this weekend,

Im Planing on getting some of the Sprayable tint this weekend and doing the Side markers with it, Maybe a good 2-3 Light Coats, Then once its dry im going to tape off a small line in the middle and then spray them Jet black to match my car, Then take the tape off and wet sand the whole thing and then Hit it with 3-4 Passes of clear coat. Hope Fully i will get the "Showstopper Led Side Marker" Effect for about $21, I know it will not be as bright but it will still be visible at night and Hidden durning the day, I will post pictures tomorrow or Saturday once im done with it to see how it turns out. If it looks good it could be a cheap but effective Mod.

Heritage Grill
Flat Black Full Body Stripes
Flat Black Tail Light Bezels
Flat Black Camaro Emblems
Flat Black / Red SS Emblems
Flat Black Side Markers
Chevy Bowtie Delete
Led Grill Lighting
Interior Led Lighting
Near Future ( 1'' Drop Springs, GFX and *headers,Xpipe and 3in catback with an CAI is on it way* Getting ready for the PROCHARGER
)
JAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
Asian Zero

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 1LT RS
just spray tinted my fogs and my HIDs. stuff works pretty good had i known how easy it was to do i wouldnt have paid to get my tail lights and side markers blacked out by a shop
Asian Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
Dagon68

Drives: Black 2SS/RS L99
Can yall post some pictures of the results? That would be awesome. Also, what paint are you guys using to tint with?
Dagon68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
we did my friends H2, his avalanche and his sisters cobalt.
It looks good, there will be orange peel so its better you wetsand em.
Personally speaking though, if your going to do the tailights, I would go with the vynil. I have the vynil tint on my tail lights and theyre dark, the H2 is as dark but at night, my car looks stock where his looks very dark, ticket worthy lol
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
JAB
C_H_E_V_Y

Yea no i like the Red Tail Lights, Im just Tinting the Side Markers and painting them, And its VHT Night Shade Tint, Comes in a can at Autozone,

Basicaly Like this but with out the leds inside and with out paying $300 +

Heritage Grill
Flat Black Side Markers
Chevy Bowtie Delete
Led Grill Lighting
Interior Led Lighting
Near Future ( 1'' Drop Springs, GFX and *headers,Xpipe and 3in catback with an CAI is on it way* Getting ready for the PROCHARGER
)
Old 02-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
wrbear
Banned

Drives: 2010, 2SS, IOM/CGM Stripes, 4/24/10
Maybe I can help.

I did my side markers in CGM with a clear coat this last weekend (rattle can). I sanded the markers with 2000 sandpaper to remove the numerical code and to dull the finish, 5 minutes. I cleaned the parts with rubbing alcohol, 2 minutes, I sprayed "Adhesion Promoter" on the parts following the cans directions. I sprayed CGM to eliminate the color of the lenses around 3 light coats, I sprayed a gloss lacquer around 4 coats.....BINGO...

Name:  1_2.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  100.0 KB

Name:  1_3.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  111.6 KB

Hope this helps! The distortion is the camera...they were glossy and clean!
wrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #7
JAB
C_H_E_V_Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrbear View Post
Maybe I can help.

I did my side markers in CGM with a clear coat this last weekend (rattle can). I sanded the markers with 2000 sandpaper to remove the numerical code and to dull the finish, 5 minutes. I cleaned the parts with rubbing alcohol, 2 minutes, I sprayed "Adhesion Promoter" on the parts following the cans directions. I sprayed CGM to eliminate the color of the lenses around 3 light coats, I sprayed a gloss lacquer around 4 coats.....BINGO...

Attachment 205782

Attachment 205783

Actually that does Help,... A lot.. Can you still see any sign of the marker at night or are they just not visible any longer ? They look great and so does your car iv never seen it before but from the pictures it looks killer

Heritage Grill
Flat Black Side Markers
Chevy Bowtie Delete
Led Grill Lighting
Interior Led Lighting
)
Old 02-10-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
wrbear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB View Post
Actually that does Help,... A lot.. Can you still see any sign of the marker at night or are they just not visible any longer ? They look great and so does your car iv never seen it before but from the pictures it looks killer
You are too kind....thanks....yea they can be seen at night in the red (back) and yellow (front)...just don't over spray the color...look at the back ground while you spray the coats......if you see color spray a little more.....don't saturate it....
Old 02-11-2011, 01:37 AM   #9
Cabrera
Freightrain Coming Ur Way

Drives: V8-1968 & V6-2000 & V6 2010 Camaros
Quote:
Maybe I can help.

Any night shots with them on please?
Old 02-11-2011, 03:35 AM   #10
rhd
dirtbag

Drives: 2010 camaro LS
i did my whole car with that stuff. headlights, sidemarkers, tail lights. it looks great
www.lonestarcamaro.com
rhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:33 AM   #11
wrbear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrera View Post
Any night shots with them on please?
It'll take me a while for the night shots....The cars in the "Corvette & Chevy Expo" in Houston this weekend so it's gonna be away starting tonight....I'll take some pics Sunday night. I'm planning on doing my own LED mod on the markers soon. Will post it up when I'm finished with that too....I re-read your post and noticed you wanted the showstopper effect....you will have to really put some coats on it to mask the surround out....forget the light coats because that will let the light pass through....
Old 02-11-2011, 06:36 AM   #12
wrbear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhd View Post
i did my whole car with that stuff. headlights, sidemarkers, tail lights. it looks great
Did you paint them? The stick-ons are another option for the OP but then you have the code on the lenses bulging out. I've seen the stick ons and they do look good. I did the paint as another ME mod!!!!! and to do some "tool" time on the car...
Old 02-11-2011, 07:14 AM   #13
JAB
C_H_E_V_Y

Quote:
You are too kind....thanks....yea they can be seen at night in the red (back) and yellow (front)...just don't over spray the color...look at the back ground while you spray the coats......if you see color spray a little more.....don't saturate it....
I'm 96% sure il be heading out to the expo I'm excited to see the car, from the little excerpts here and there I see it looks stunning, and if you go through with that led mod let me know how it goes,

Heritage Grill
Flat Black Side Markers
Chevy Bowtie Delete
Led Grill Lighting
Interior Led Lighting
)
Old 02-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #14
Asian Zero

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 1LT RS
heres shots of the front of my car that i did the spray tint. ill post some of the back and side markers too (those were done with vinyl overlays)
Attached Images

Asian Zero is offline   Reply With Quote