Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
muriloalvares

Drives: ss1
Newbie needs help - LS3 conversion, cam, etc

Hi,

I just got my SS and been reading this forum for 2 days but still have some questions, so if you dont mind helping me...

I got the L99 2010, ordered the XS power complete exhaust and now I want a cam. Well:

1- Can I simply use one of the AFM texas cams, or do I really need to do the LS3 conversion and use the VVT cams?

2- Any of the above would result in a single bolt cam right? So I read that this is supposedly bad... is that right? no?

thanks and sorry for being a noob
muriloalvares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
greenmachinedriver

Drives: white 2010 ss and 2011 6.2 silvy
if you are going to use a afm/vvt compatible cam you will not need to do the ls3 conversion. but you will be stuck with a single bolt cam.
keep reading there is alot of good info on this site.
greenmachinedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
4thGen427CI
5th Gen

Drives: 10 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriloalvares View Post
Hi,

I just got my SS and been reading this forum for 2 days but still have some questions, so if you dont mind helping me...

I got the L99 2010, ordered the XS power complete exhaust and now I want a cam. Well:

1- Can I simply use one of the AFM texas cams, or do I really need to do the LS3 conversion and use the VVT cams?

2- Any of the above would result in a single bolt cam right? So I read that this is supposedly bad... is that right? no?

thanks and sorry for being a noob
Its gonna cost you quite a bit to do the LS3 conversion. So if your just gonna go do a VVT cam and keep your AFM the conversion will be a waste of money IMO. But If you really want a good cam and good power, LS3 conversion is the way to go. You'll have to save up some extra. I guess in the long run it will be worth it. But I'm not sure, a lot of people have a bad taste in their mouth about going single bolt. But just the same amount of people love it. I would take the extra security and go 3 bolt if you do LS3 conversion. Goodluck
4thGen427CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
I posted this response to a previous question that was similar....I will give you my research, as I am considering the same set up.
-------------------------
Texas speed has a GREAT VVT cam, but I am still not comfortable in taking that leap. Just like the last poster stated, I would rather get the 3 bolt and spend extra money... essentially feeling safe about my purchase. There isn't wide spread failures being reported with the single, but this is still a new car.

Here is the problem... I would wait on the cam, and do catback, intake, and headers (tune) first.... the main reason is you may get the sound and performance you want right there from those three while GAINING MPG and maintaining drive-ability. Not exactly the same can be said with a cam swap.

Like you, I have the L99..I will most likely go ahead and do my LS3 conversion (700-800 bucks) and then throw in a cam (cost varies on the cam).

Doing the LS3 conversion is actually not a bad price if you already have headers, CAI, and catback... however, if you DON'T you will be paying a huge chunk of change as it will run you upward of 4-5k.

Again, with all due respect, I would say put the cam on hold for now. Intake, Lts, catback w/ tune will run you 2-2.5 and give you an INCREDIBLE sound.

....oh and you do NOT want to keep AFM. Your ears will bleed with a cam or headers and AFM. I was averaging 16mpg with the AFM before my tune... the tune really enhanced the vehicles efficiency and now I average 16.5-17 city with my mods.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
muriloalvares

Drives: ss1
Thanks for the tips!

after a couple days reading the forum I decided for a vvt-3 + dod delete

I already ordered CAI and XS complete exhaust
muriloalvares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Yeah, VVT is a great thing, with great gains to be had throughout the RPM range, but its still in its infancy as far as aftermarket performance parts and tuning is concerned. Trying to find somebody local who can tune the VVT would be very hard, and using out of the box tunes isn't a good idea for long term, all engines are different, so all cars with mods should get custom tuned, for power and most important, safety of your engine, transmission, and catalytic converters!
I almost went with that same setup (VVT3 cam and DOD delete), but decided to stick with proven for decades stuff, 3 bolt cam with VVT and DOD delete.

Either way you go, DOD delete is a must IMO, the lifters that the AFM (DOD) utilizes are prone to failure, which could lead to severe damage. In stock applications they usually tend to last a while, but depending on the miles and how you drive, if you do anything heavy like cam, supercharger, etc, they may not even last the drive home! (Tuning it out does not cut it, BTW, those weak lifters are still in there)

As has been stated, getting the supporting mods to a cam (LT headers, full exhaust, cai) will be very beneficial, if not before, than definitely soon after.

Call us for the best prices!
- Jeremy
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote