Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 04-18-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
Now that Craftsman tools are garbage...

Now that Craftsman tools are garbage, what tools are you guys buying?

I have a bunch of old craftsman stuff, back when they made them from metal instead of plastic (K-mart specials) but, the list of needed tools is growing

Snap-on is now made by S*K tools and was downgraded from Chinese made tools to Taiwanese made tools, so for the price, there is no reason to buy snap-on.

Matco? Husky? Stanley?

I actually bought a Stanley 1/2" ratchet that was on clearance and its really solid, anyone else have any thoughts on Stanley? Never had a high opinion of them, but also never had any REAL data as to why I shouldnt... kinda like why I dont like Fords, even though I have never owned one.

Harbor freight makes decent sockets apparently, though I have never used them myself. (info from a trusted friend) though it sounds like the ratchets leave a lot to be desired.

So... lets start the discussion. What tools do you spend your money on and why?

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
kevin1106

Drives: 2015 ZO6 3LZ Stage 2 A8
Craftsmans... still has a lifetime warranty... plus Sears is like 5 min from my house.
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:29 PM   #3
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Anything with a lifetime warranty gets my vote. What tools are you looking at in Craftsman that are plastic?
Old 04-19-2011, 01:09 AM   #4
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
The ratchets for one. I took one of my ratchets in to be rebuilt, it came back with plastic parts instead of the steel ones that it had before. now as it ratchets, the damn thing switches from one direction to the other, there is a ton of play in it and honestly, after having it rebuilt twice, I am not even going to bother trying again.

lifetime warranty only goes so far for me personally... if I have to take them into sears to have them rebuilt every couple weeks, even for free, its not worth it.

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:21 AM   #5
SS Drifter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
I have newer Craftsman, older SK and some real old stuff that I can't remember the name of. I've done some crazy stuff and only broken one socket. It seems like the broken socket was my fault.

Since Home Depot and Lowes are noted for selling cheap cr@p I'd avoid them. Harbor freight sells and great selection of single use tools, if they last that long. Unless Craftsman have really cheapened up in the past few months that would still be my choice.
SS Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:17 AM   #6
fargomike
The Dude Abides

Drives: Black 2SS M6
Cornwell Tools made in America http://www.cornwelltools.com/
2010 Black 2SS/LS3/M6 Kooks 1 7/8 Ceramic Coated Headers, Borla ATAK CB , JRE Tune , Halltech Yellow Jacket CAI ,VMax Ported TB, PFADT Coilovers,Forgestar CF5's Textured Gunmetal w/Nitto Invo's 275/315 ,Hurst Billet Plus 2 Shifter AAC P13W Plasma LEDw/DRL Harness ,30% Tinting,
fargomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
Garage Sale / Auctions

Snap on old stuff. Bought my snap on tool set back in 1960 s . Fits your hand well , smooth actions (ratchets) compact and fit in tight areas. Never broke a single pc. yet in all these years.Go to yard sales , estate sales , auctions and pick them up & put a set together.You wont be disappointed.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
robsls3
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro 1SS
Craftsman or husky Is what I will use now. No hassle from both if an issue with a tool.

Snap on got to cheap and expsensive.
robsls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #9
mikeb27

Drives: 2011 Black 2LT
Depends on what I am looking for. Most of my tools are Craftsman. All of my impact tools are Matco from back when I wrenched in a diesel truck shop. The only time I buy cheap (Home Depot, etc) is when it is a tool I only need to use once.
mikeb27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
I have Snap On, Craftsman, Matco and a few old Proto ratchets. The Proto ratchets are decades old and I still like them the best. Snap On has definitely perfected the "feel" of a tool in your hand but are sometimes too pricey for a weekend home mechanic. I can't say I've ever felt my Craftsmen tools were inferior, again some of them are decades old and some are as recent as 2 days ago.
Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers, rotors & pads, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, rear cradle & diff bushes, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR5 timing chain, LS6 damper, CAI Cold Air Intake, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 whls, 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, 2011 Convertible spoiler, 1LE front spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, wrapped console & Grant steering wheel.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #11
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
>>>Harbor freight ......

ah.....I don't know about their sockets but.....

I walk into that store expecting Chinese junk, and they have never exceeded my expectations.......

Some disposable, use once throw away stuff. I'll buy from them, tools never!

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:21 PM   #12
gelboy1015

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, MKIII Supras
I've got a mix of Craftsman, Snap-On, Stanley, and Husky tools. In the Camaro, I've got a Husky socket set in there thats held up pretty well, and I had a Stanley set in there before that I used until my dad traded me his Husky set. Craftsman quality has gone down a bit. I've noticed that at my cousin's shop, the ratchets from his Craftsman 200 pc set are always breaking...
gelboy1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:24 PM   #13
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
My stuff is a mix of Craftsman and Stanley. Harbor freight is great for the throwaway stuff, but I'd never buy anything important there (torque wrenches, jackstands, etc)
Old 04-19-2011, 07:48 PM   #14
fastkevman

Drives: 2011 Victory Red 1SS/RS M6
I have Craftsmen, Snap-On, Mac, Proto, and Stanley.
Craftsmen Professional is the best you will get from Sears, I have done really well watching for sales and store clearances, just make sure if you get something replaced that they don't try and give you a non-Professional replacement, they usually claim ignorance if you call them out on it but, I think they do it on purpose because it happens every time.
Snap-On is the absolute best if you need an odd ball tool that nobody else makes but will truly save you time and headaches.
Mac is good stuff, hard to track the truck down though.
Proto and Stanley make some decent stuff that I haven't broken yet or felt I paid too much for.

My tools are used hard both professionally and at home, whatever can take the abuse at work usually I buy a second set for home.

On a side note, I use Fluke for my digital multimeters, Simpson for my analog multimeters, Klein for electrical tools, IR for my air tools, and Lisle for my automotive odd ball tools.
fastkevman is offline   Reply With Quote