Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-02-2012, 07:38 AM   #15
RobMorgan

Drives: 12 ZL1,ZR1, 57, 60, 67 vette Harley
I did think it interesting to notice that there was snow on the streets when they made the street pictures (pretty place) and they mentioned the temperature on the track - below the temp that you are actually supposed to drive the tires that come on the ZL1. I don't know what tires come on the GTR, but I know the summer tires do not hold at all in these temps. I think the ZL1 had a great showing all things considered.
ZL1 SIM, MN6, ECF #541
RobMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:40 AM   #16
YourBlindingBias
Banned

Drives: GT500/ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by toilets View Post
Was that a 2012 gtr? If so that is impressive. That provides me evidence that the zl1 can out run the 2009 thru 2010 model gtrs
...and that would be bench racing.
YourBlindingBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #17
toilets

Drives: 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
How so?

2009 GTR Nurburgring 7:39 2010-7.26

I can't wait to get my hands on my ZL1,but lets not go overboard.
No your right, that was a bit overboard...
toilets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #18
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZL1 View Post
The ZL1 is "more comfortable", "more rewarding", and "less video game-ish". Damnit...I was planning to wait for the 2013's, but all of this is NOT helping.

JohnZL1
2001 Camaro SS (for now...)

This is a very nice review for the ZL1. I've said before, I don't get too caught up in the numbers, although I think the ZL1 did a very respectable job against that monster with a big traction disadvantage in 40F weather. The part of the review that I enjoy are the comments on the driving dynamics and personality of the car. This review gave me a lot of confidence that the ZL1 is going to be a very pleasurable and rewarding car to own.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #19
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uneducated Guess View Post
The only question I have about this video is, what in God's name is in that guys forehead?!
So glad I am not the only one to think that!

And, I say this with respect for the GTR and it's performance...but is it just me or does that thing look dated already. Yes, I know that the fifth gen is a rehash of the gen 1 Camaro...but it still looks great to me a full 6 years after we first saw the concept. The GTR just looks like...meh?
Old 02-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #20
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesuf94 View Post
So glad I am not the only one to think that!

And, I say this with respect for the GTR and it's performance...but is it just me or does that thing look dated already. Yes, I know that the fifth gen is a rehash of the gen 1 Camaro...but it still looks great to me a full 6 years after we first saw the concept. The GTR just looks like...meh?
Yes, regardless of the great performance of the GTR it has never appeared on my radar. Seeing it next to the ZL1 makes it look even worse.

I would have liked them to compare the feel of the GTR’s ‘video game’ handling to the ZL1’s various PTM modes. They could have at least mentioned which PTM mode they were running in the comparison (assuming it was 5 due to the way the car looked in the videos).

dougshelbyengineering.com

www.facebook.com/dougshelbyengineering

www.instagram.com/dougshelbyengineering
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #21
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
I think this is a great review for the ZL-1. Yes the GTR is faster, but you're paying so much more for that speed. For Chevrolet to build a car under 60k and can complete with vehicles that are at or well over 6 figures is a huge acomplishment.
The ZL-1 gives the average Joe the ability to have a fun weekend racer and not go completely broke doing it.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #22
SSmoked

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
2 seconds slower than a $100,000 AWD computer. Yea ill take that with no compalints.

Now bring on the GT500svtpp enought with beating around the bush.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #23
toilets

Drives: 2010 camaro
100k or not, 2.8 is a butt whooping. Still kinda unsure why the comparison between the 2? Considering the gtr was aimed at the ZR1, But all in all it was a good review for the zl1.
toilets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #24
Speechsteve

Drives: Chevy
The real reward is in your wallet...and when you bask in its beauty...
Steve
Speechsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #25
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by toilets View Post
100k or not, 2.8 is a butt whooping. Still kinda unsure why the comparison between the 2? Considering the gtr was aimed at the ZR1, But all in all it was a good review for the zl1.
It's a butt whooping similar to the one the ZL1 put on the Boss 302 LS and the difference in price between those cars is around $7-8k, not $40k.

And not to make excuses, but the traction benefits of the GTR's AWD is significantly multiplied versus the ZL1 due to the 40F weather. You can't expect a rear wheel drive monster with high performance tires to easily maintain traction in those conditions.

I'd expect a convincing victory every time for the GTR, but in better conditions the ZL1 would narrow the gap.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #26
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Everyone seems to look at the price alone as the GT-R's disadvantage. You need to look at what Nissan has done to create Godzilla. The Camaro is a 6.2L Supercharged V8....versus a 3.8L V6 Twin Turbo. Comparing hp out of engine displacement....530hp (2011 GT-R) vs 580hp...I vote is a major victory for the GT-R.

Comparing these cars though is an Apples and Oranges situation. The GT-R is a "possible" everyday street car (I would know, a buddy of mine drives his each and every day, sun/rain/snow), AWD, and simply put, a driving computer. The GT-R is very dependent upon boost and the use of the twin turbos. The GT-R only comes as an automatic, its transmission technology is leagues above the Camaro. 2.77 seconds 0-60 for the 2013 model as the ZL-1 is 3.9 seconds. The Camaro is a "possible" street car, RWD, doesn't depend nearly as much on computers. The Camaro uses its large displacement with a supercharger. The Camaro is more of the "drivers car" in which you can still get the manual, and not NEAR as much computer control.

What I don't think is fair, is that they didn't use the 2013 Nissan GT-R. If they want to compare cars, use the 580hp GT-R against the 580hp Camaro. See how they do as that eliminates the hp battle. That would make it so that the track and driver would be the only difference.

But at the end of the day...its what you like best. Comparisons between a bonifide Muscle car and a "poor man's Super-Car"...I just don't understand it. Enjoy what you have :-)
Old 02-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #27
Joebot8484
ZL1 # 1307

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1, 2008 Hummzilla H3
Here's a thought for everyone to consider! what if you made the GTR rear wheel drive only? Then who wins that fight.........yea I thought so, ZL1 baby!
Old 02-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #28
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
It was an outrageous comparison, but fun, IMO. Godzilla is one of those benchmarks that sub-$100K cars have to be compared to. To not already know what the outcome would be would be a little surprising to me, but while numbers don't lie, they aren't always the only factor.

I was hoping for Z06 (the base car - not Z07) to be the benchmark for ZL1 - mostly because then I knew there wouldn't be too much to worry about from the Blue Ovary crew. However - GS does a good job against the older GT500, so I'm still pleased. ZL1 is nearly 1000 pounds more, so I don't know that my hopes were that reasonable, lol.

I have been reading how drivable ZL1 has been through many reviews on the street. While I've always wanted a performer, I'm still glad GM made sure to keep in managable on the street. The biggest criticism I have for the Boss is that it just seems to me Ford was trying to make a race car out of a street car - and I think they did (no back seat and splitter you literally can't use on the street; not to mention the "red key"...). It's not that hard to do what they've done. I think GM's done an excellent job at taking a street car, and just elevating it to something where, for now, there's no competition. There's no other car I can think of with it's technologies and adaptabilities for the street and track. A dedicated drag strip mode?! REALLY?!!! That was the LAST place I'd figure GM to go with a car (I still consider it different than the PTM in 'Vette, because GM's being saying ZL1's mode is for prep'd tracks and such, for example).

Anyways - while this comparison might appear to be hyperbole at first to me - I think that was the point. It's not the numbers that were necessarily the point. They made it sound like ZL1 was the more rewarding car to drive, and isn't that what it's about? That's what it is for me

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote