Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
IBM

Drives: '11 2LT/RS IBM
battery dead???

So I was just about to wash the camaro. Go to the garage, the car is locked (strange). The key remote isn't working, so I manually unlock it, get in, nothing lights up. Thought to myself oh geez... try to start it, nothing. And now my key are stuck in the ignition! I tried everything to get them out - turning the wheel, etc. But they are STUCK. The kicker is, nothing has happened that should have made the battery die... no lisening to music witout the car on, no lights left on, idk why its like that. So now its sitting in the garage dirty with key in the ignition and i dunno what to do. Will the key budge if I get the battery charged up? Just need advice. Thanks.

Edit: sorry for typos, still getting used to my new phones keyboard which is very touchy.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
Call the roadside number to see if they can come out and get you going.

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Pop the hood, check the voltage on the big red plastic covered battery terminal just behind the air filter. If it shows 12-14 volts, the battery is good but but have an electrical issue. Then call the dealer. If the battery is dead, call the dealer. The battery is covered on warranty also.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
IBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIweldace View Post
Pop the hood, check the voltage on the big red plastic covered battery terminal just behind the air filter. If it shows 12-14 volts, the battery is good but but have an electrical issue. Then call the dealer. If the battery is dead, call the dealer. The battery is covered on warranty also.
Will it be in the same place on the v6 do you know, I took a quick look but didn't see anything you were talking about. But i'm really dumb when it comes to stuff like this :(
Old 09-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
RichGreene
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Green 1993 Custom Eldo
Youve got to open what looks like a spare tire cover, under your mat.
RichGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #6
IBM

Nevermind, looked again and found it
Old 09-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #7
IBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichGreene View Post
Youve got to open what looks like a spare tire cover, under your mat.
I know where the battery is and stuff. I'm just worried about the key stuck in the ignition. And i can't find the voltage checker right now, but i'll keep everyone updated. I have class tomorrow so I'm leaving it with my dad to decide what to do with it and find out whats wrong. He may have to call Roadside Assistance if the key still doesnt budge. Ill keep you all updated on the situation.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:46 AM   #8
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS/Blk Carb Fibr NS-1 stripes
I had this same exact issue about 2 months ago. I called roadside and the guy came with a portable charger and it started right up. And I never had this problem since. My question though is why the battery did this in the first place.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:21 AM   #9
ooojerry

Drives: FAST
Check your negative terminal on your battery. Mine came loose and my car wouldn't do anything. Re-tightened the connection and it started immediately. My key was also locked in the ignition.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:30 AM   #10
SRFnSNO

Drives: Blown & Flamed
The key locking in the ignition is a security thing.
When this happened to me had the car dragged on to a flatbed and taken to dealer. (Neutral selector switch is under the center console automatic)
Car battery would not jump or take a charge. Security.

They said mine had a higher than normal parasitic leak due to audio upgrades.
mine died in 1 week last winter. now have a battery tender wired, CTEK
SRFnSNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:38 AM   #11
VADR_H8R

Drives: 2011 camaro 1ss synergy green
I thought we had battery-rundown protection on our cars? I remember reading it on our window stickers. what exactly does that do?
VADR_H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:07 AM   #12
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADR_H8R View Post
I thought we had battery-rundown protection on our cars? I remember reading it on our window stickers. what exactly does that do?
If you leave your headlights, parking lights, or interior lights on the BCM will turn them off, I believe after 20 minutes.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #13
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBM View Post
So I was just about to wash the camaro. Go to the garage, the car is locked (strange). The key remote isn't working, so I manually unlock it, get in, nothing lights up. Thought to myself oh geez... try to start it, nothing. And now my key are stuck in the ignition! I tried everything to get them out - turning the wheel, etc. But they are STUCK. The kicker is, nothing has happened that should have made the battery die... no lisening to music witout the car on, no lights left on, idk why its like that. So now its sitting in the garage dirty with key in the ignition and i dunno what to do. Will the key budge if I get the battery charged up? Just need advice. Thanks.

Edit: sorry for typos, still getting used to my new phones keyboard which is very touchy.
Happened to me two weeks ago. Had to plug this in and give it some juice so I could remove my key.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1&blockType=L1

Ended up buying a new battery because mine wouldn't hold a charge. I've since purchased a battery tender.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:32 PM   #14
IBM

Charging the battery now to see where that gets me. beats me why the battery died though.