Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-03-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Door handles mod discussion

So, I was walking down the walmart parking lot today, and my eye was caught by a door handle - one I've seen before, but that drew my eye in particular today. The door handle was this one.

From a C6 corvette, for those who didn't already know.

Now, I was already debating on doing shaved door handles, but this made me think... how awesome looking would these be? So... do you agree? I was planning on getting my car in Silver Ice with Cyber Gray stripes. Would these handles look good on the new camaro? How much do you think it would cost to have them installed, since I'd have to have the body work done custom?
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I wish these types of door handles were more common. I've liked them since way back when the Lumina and Beretta had them in the early 90's.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
You would not only need to modify the door but it's also possible the door jamb hitch would need to be changed too. It sounds expensive, but anything is possible if you got the money. I am thinking about chroming my door handles to compliment the RS package's chrome trim on the tail lights. Gives it all the more of an oldschool look.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:49 PM   #4
kamisxy

Drives: 2002 SS Camaro
I love the door handles on the concept....theyre chrome and retro...and look hot...thats what iam planning to do,

kamisxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:41 AM   #5
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamisxy View Post
I love the door handles on the concept....theyre chrome and retro...and look hot...thats what iam planning to do,

If they were real metal, they would be "HOT" to the touch when trying to open the door.. They look nice, but I prefer plastic..
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:46 AM   #6
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
The problem with those handles are that they're very small and narrow. Try fitting your key into the hole. If you're not very precise, it will lead to several small scratches on the door...I can see why they changed them. I'd rather have the old school door handles (a button on the bottom of the car) but those C6 handles look hot.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:24 AM   #7
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
The problem with those handles are that they're very small and narrow. Try fitting your key into the hole. If you're not very precise, it will lead to several small scratches on the door...I can see why they changed them. I'd rather have the old school door handles (a button on the bottom of the car) but those C6 handles look hot.
I had an 88 Grand Prix with those handles and never had any problem "Hitting the hole" Plus where they were located on the door window frame hid them very well,. Anyway I would say Keyless entry will be standard on the Camaro or at least 90 percent of them will have it so the key may never be used to unlock the car.

But I have no problem with the Handles on the New Camaro. They look just like the ones on my HHR and Sky, I wonder if they can be swapped, because my HHR and Sky both have Chrome handles.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:17 PM   #8
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Yeah I agree the concept's handle's look amazing but if they were metal that would be bad. Down here in Texas it gets pretty darn steamy, which is the reason I plan to get a light color like Silver as oppose to the Black, which would be my first choice.
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:08 AM   #9
willisit

Drives: Vauxhall Monaro VXR
The new Nissan GTR and the Aston Martin V8 both have those kind of "blade" door handles and they work very well - I wish the Camaro had kept them as they really worked well - now they just look like most other manufacturer's do - still, it's a minor thing so I won't moan.
2001 Honda CBR 600 F
willisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:32 AM   #10
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
i always liked the concept handles. it'd be like watching people trying to solve a puzzle the first time they try to open the door. they just had a smoother look to them, but i'd imagine they'd cost a bit more to incorporate into the production car :( i'd say there's some heavy-enough-duty plastics out there to make them out of, so you avoid the heat issue.

too late now
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #11
Never2LowChevy
Banned

Drives: bagged 4 door dually on 22s
I am going to shave the handles on my car also. The new vette handles are pretty hard to do unless its the c5 handles so those arent anything but a little body work. The plastic chrome handles make a car look cheap so if your gonna do those then go ahead and get some chrome fender trim, chrome side mirror covers, chrome stick on fender vents, chrome vent visors, chrome gas cap, and some stick on chrome trim on the edge of the door to match.
Never2LowChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:01 PM   #12
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never2LowChevy View Post
I am going to shave the handles on my car also. The new vette handles are pretty hard to do unless its the c5 handles so those arent anything but a little body work. The plastic chrome handles make a car look cheap so if your gonna do those then go ahead and get some chrome fender trim, chrome side mirror covers, chrome stick on fender vents, chrome vent visors, chrome gas cap, and some stick on chrome trim on the edge of the door to match.
The C5 door handles aren't anything like I wanted - Oh well though...

After seeing the car in person, I'll probably just stick with the stock handles, although I'll probably get a filler piece for the keyhole since I'll just be using the button.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:45 PM   #13
Never2LowChevy
Banned

Drives: bagged 4 door dually on 22s
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
The C5 door handles aren't anything like I wanted - Oh well though...

After seeing the car in person, I'll probably just stick with the stock handles, although I'll probably get a filler piece for the keyhole since I'll just be using the button.
- Xanthos
Yeah, C5 handles are pretty much a regular handle. As far as the key hole goes, if you just want to get rid of that and make it look better then a filler piece then when it come available just order a passenger side handle and install it on the driver door. Most of the time the handles are the same and all you have to do is flip them. Ive done this with several trucks. I got a suburban handle from the rear doors, painted them and put them on the driver side. It gives the appearance of a shved handle from a distance but the functionality of the handle.
Never2LowChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:53 PM   #14
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never2LowChevy View Post
Yeah, C5 handles are pretty much a regular handle. As far as the key hole goes, if you just want to get rid of that and make it look better then a filler piece then when it come available just order a passenger side handle and install it on the driver door. Most of the time the handles are the same and all you have to do is flip them. Ive done this with several trucks. I got a suburban handle from the rear doors, painted them and put them on the driver side. It gives the appearance of a shved handle from a distance but the functionality of the handle.
There are little color-matched caps you can buy for like 5 bucks that you stick over the keyhole. They're on the site somewhere, I remember a post from a long time ago where someone was selling them.
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote