Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-16-2015, 09:07 AM   #57
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro10ss1 View Post
Well one thing that's in my favor my car isn't my daily. I probably drive it once ever week or less. I was considering a self install just to save the money on paying someone to do it. How long did it take you to do the install? Did you do the trunnion?
If it werent for the bolt on the compression tool breaking off in the head, this job woulda been done in a solid 7-8 hours for my first time following everything step by step. Being cautious I made sure to sort every bolt and anything I took off in order so I would have no issues when putting it all back together. If I had to do it all again....maybe 6 hours straight through. I left the stock trunions in. Im debating on doing them later but from MY PERSONAL research, stock is ok with just the cam swap. I dont plan on going all out on this thing anytime soon to upgrade them.
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:46 AM   #58
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
I love this setup.
Attached Images

2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:05 AM   #59
MonsterV6

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
We got the springs in today. The rest we finish tomorrow can't wait
481rwhp 436 rwtq on a Mustang dyno, BTR stage iv comp cam, Stainless power headers w/ highflow cats, G5CR intake, straight pipe, vmax throttle body, 6k hid fog & headlights, BMR strut bar, LG Motorsport coilovers Hurst short shifter, Elite catch can, Stillen splitter,cypher harness bar,
MonsterV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:54 PM   #60
c5z28
Banned

Drives: Camaro, Corvette, c10 pickup
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Well I have as others have read the bulletin from driven racing oil, there are Ls engines used in Nascar with ....... Hydraulic Roller cams, the break in oil developed raised the life of cams 400 %. That would be going from 1 in 10 failures breaking in one the engine stand to 1 in 40. I used to spread the word on this product and catch crap for it, and I was turned on to it from research and fellow enthusiasts here...
If you would go to the website and read testimonials you would understand. We make our engines which are already high lift more than any flat tappet cam even higher performance with much higher spring pressures that would eat a flat tappet cam in no time flat. For instance my cam is .639/ .623 try finding a flat tappet cam anywhere near to that or even the stock .550/.550...... my springs are .675 springs.

I used to do all my own Chevy engines and knew I could count on good oil for the break in, however over the years oil has been reformulated to remove most of the ZDDP which harms the almighty catalytic converter..... And further reformulation is coming in 2017 when BTW new CAFE standards hit trying to raise MPG by 5 mpg per car until they hit a average of 55 mpg, ( and you wonder why turbo sixes and fours are going into mustangs ?).
And the new formulation will be even skimpier on the ZDDP with two major categories, one with insanely low viscosity for turbo small engines that is a big no no for our engines and one that may make our engines live.

There are cases of people loosing a cam on here that have people worried, I am at 8k miles on my cam with no problems on a daily driver and my lift is as high as the specs I have read for any cam on here except the gsx6 I believe which has a very small Piston to Valve clearance. I always did break in on my flat tappet cams, and wanted to ensure the longevity of my cam. I will check my springs at 25k mile intervals with a new set on hand. And BTW I have seen driven break in oil being used repeatedly on TV shows..... For one example: Fast and Loud, when they ate a cam with just some cheap oil and a zddp additive, ( not all additives will blend well with all oils). This was on the rebuild of a engine on a hertz rent a racer Shelby like a 1967 that spanned two shows, after they have to completely tear down and replace all the bearings cam etc after pulling the engine that ate the cam in their face you can see them using Driven break in oil to make the next build work. And even though fast and loud can do some turn and burns some times they do good work to restore or build cars, the other shows I have seen were by far better shows with names I am sure you would recognize and people you would recognize their names.

The point is that all the major manufacturers have gone to roller cams because they changes in engines that have had to come over the years, and the point also is that they have a lot more lift than a flat tappet cam and thus the ability to make a lot more power, and with that a lot more pressure from the springs and a lot more critical need for the ZDDP the EPA is forcing out of our oil.

I dont doubt the use of expensive break in oil or any other oil. I just dont think it is necessary. I have seen many motors go well past 200,000 with just mobil 1. Heck in my big block I use brad penn
c5z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #61
Noctis

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterV6 View Post
We got the springs in today. The rest we finish tomorrow can't wait
Awesome bro i just ordered everything now the wait for the parts then the installation can begin
Noctis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:45 PM   #62
MonsterV6

Omfg I wished I've done this sooner! It's so badass
I'll post video soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctis View Post
Awesome bro i just ordered everything now the wait for the parts then the installation can begin
481rwhp 436 rwtq on a Mustang dyno, BTR stage iv comp cam, Stainless power headers w/ highflow cats, G5CR intake, straight pipe, vmax throttle body, 6k hid fog & headlights, BMR strut bar, LG Motorsport coilovers Hurst short shifter, Elite catch can, Stillen splitter,cypher harness bar,
Old 01-17-2015, 10:47 PM   #63
MonsterV6

Toy can probably see it here on Facebook https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...rid=1336138103
Old 01-17-2015, 10:50 PM   #64
Camaro10ss1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS ls3
Link doesn't work
Camaro10ss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:08 AM   #65
MonsterV6

Try this one

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SL8EdeuTZD4
Old 01-18-2015, 09:25 AM   #66
Camaro10ss1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS ls3
That one works. The car sounds good but I know it will sound amazing after the tune. Have you ever done a big project like that before?
I'm still debating on if I should try to install mine myself. Any tips pointers? Lol
Camaro10ss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:35 AM   #67
black79ta

Drives: 79 transam with 582cid dart motor
Hey you cam changers, get a hold of the 'How to rebuild GM LS Series Engines.' I used it along diy post by Robertway.

2010 Camaro (inferno orange, 2SS, RS and such)
cat backs, catch can, CAI on the way
79 Transam, 582 cid dart motor 779hp 315's out back 40spline gdaxles tko tranny
black79ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:45 AM   #68
Noctis

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Awesome sound bet you cant wait for the tune the rest of us will join you soon enough hopefully
Noctis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:50 AM   #69
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by black79ta View Post
Hey you cam changers, get a hold of the 'How to rebuild GM LS Series Engines.' I used it along diy post by Robertway.
Would you recommend the book because there are those pesky little "in between" steps that are missing from the written DIY on here, OR do you recommend one read the book, so that one may get a full understanding of these engines as opposed to learning stuff like a parrot?
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:39 PM   #70
black79ta

Drives: 79 transam with 582cid dart motor
Actually, Camaro Dude...both. there are a lot of in between steps that can be gleaned from the book, I bought it as a reference but have probly read the whole thing. Had not worked on LS motors prior. I used a large variety of info sources, including this forum.

2010 Camaro (inferno orange, 2SS, RS and such)
cat backs, catch can, CAI on the way
79 Transam, 582 cid dart motor 779hp 315's out back 40spline gdaxles tko tranny
black79ta is offline   Reply With Quote