Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 07-13-2014, 02:09 AM   #1
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Tommy the Cat is my name, and I say unto thee...

I figured I might as well start this since I feel I'll regret it if I hadn't later on. This build thread will be more for me than anything else, so I see exactly why all my money has disappeared. It's always baffled me how much you can spend for something so minor... but you still feel the need to get it. Hopefully this thread will help me keep it justified to keep pulling out of the bank account! Enjoy...

Intro
August of 2013, I finally decide to simply buy a new car from a dealership rather than continue looking for a used car from private sell. I had been looking for a good deal on a 2007-2008 Acura TL Type S, but it was not meant to be. All deals I found were usually too good to be true, scams, and taken up too quickly by other buyers. I start looking online and realize just how affordable a new Camaro is, and it would be brand new. The first Chevrolet dealership I go to seems to have a great deal going on, the 1LS model was for only 20,495. Once I'm actually sitting inside doing the paperwork, the salesman tries to tell me that the car will now cost 23,995 plus taxes and fees. We argued back and forth, letting him know I was willing to pay sticker price but he insisted on getting his extra $3,500. I still think it's wrong to advertise a price that is only for qualified buyers without listing those qualifications... ought to be a crime really. Can you imagine going shopping in Target, and whilst leaving the cashier tries to bill you an extra hundred dollars because you aren't military, or because you haven't had a specific insurance for at least 6 months, or because you weren't a previous customer to their store? Nonsense. I leave the dealership thinking he'll call back trying to offer me a better deal, but no call was ever received. Let that dealership rot. I drive down to San Fernando Valley after finding a better deal for the same car and in the color I preferred... With no buyer qualifications required other than basic credit approval. The car was listed at $19,995. I use a great friend's GM card to save $1500. My only complaint of that dealership is that they repeatedly offered to give me the rear floor mats after I proved to them that their parts department sold them and had them in stock... but I never did receive them. According to the salesman, no Camaro comes stock with rear floor mats, not even the ZL1. Smells like a bullshit lie if I ever smelt one, but hey, I could be wrong. At least, that was my only complaint until I realized there was a small scratch under the driver's side fog light bezel housing the next morning. At first it looked like a water mark so I didn't say anything. I can't complain about that, though, since I never even called them about it. I covered with sharpy and nobody has ever noticed but me.
And the first picture I took of her, although not a great one. I had named her "Christine" in the hopes that she would repair herself and reverse her mileage the way the Chrysler did in the movie. Sadly, she has no such power...

Original appearance:

Current appearance:

Last edited by TommyTheCat; 08-11-2014 at 01:34 AM.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:09 AM   #2
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Sound System & Minor Mods

Why would I list minor modifications first? Because they're what I did first and ultimately led up to everything else I've done and plan on doing. After buying the car I wanted to keep it as new as possible, so I went and got a dash cover, deck cover, steering wheel cover, shift knob cover, and cheapy rear floor mats. Later on I got the windows tinted and a direct fit sunshade. The biggest of these small additions would have to be my sound system which I got for a great deal. I by chance found these brand new JL Audio 10" subs in a brand new custom box. I went and picked them up for only $80, and the subs usually sell for about $100 each online without a box. The amp was slightly used and the guy threw it in with a new BOSS capacitor for another $100. The subs, box and capacitor were new because they were actually custom ordered by a guy who flaked out and never paid, so the guy took a loss and sold them cheap. The box actually just BARELY fit in the trunk, the opening is so small it took about 15 minutes wriggling and twisting it around to make it fit... I had to take off the capacitor and amp to get it in. I have just enough room to get to the battery/spare and it makes stealing the subs very difficult
I need to go take better pictures of the subs:
(IMG)IGNORE(/IMG)

My premium floor mats I found online since my dealer refused to give me rear mats... So I just bought a set. Fronts used to be plain and boring and easily ruined by my work shoes

The window tint you can somewhat see in following pictures

Last edited by TommyTheCat; 07-13-2014 at 03:58 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:10 AM   #3
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Exterior Lighting Modifications

The fog light spaces always bugged me and being a very cheap modification they were one of the first things I did.The RS lights were done later on. See the stock image in the OP to see before pictures of the fogs. Technically speaking, they are not fog light housings... they are the RS model DRL housings/bulbs. Of course they don't work like DRL's. I first installed the fog lights and had them hooked to a switch, but then decided to keep them wired to key-on power. After having these for a while I decided to upgrade to some LED bulbs. Showing the difference in brightness and appearance. I can almost just drive at night with only fogs on, if I were that reckless.
The RS lights took some convincing for me to buy, since the price is so high on these. I didn't hate the non-RS look while lights were off, but when the lights were actually on I hated it. I got some brighter lights which were a waste of time because they looked the same, then I purchased some aftermarket HIDs and installed them. It took them three tries to send me the right bulbs and ballasts that were not defective. I received a full refund so no worries, just a waste of time since the lights would flicker after driving a while. Also the lights were not easily adjusted... I took a few pictures of only one HID installed to show. Without changing adjustments from previous stock bulbs, the HIDs were way higher. Even after adjusting the headlight very low, it was still too high. Not sure why...
I finally got the RS lights and they are definitely worth the money. I got the wiring harness from gen5diy.com and recommend them to anyone who needs custom harnesses for their Camaro

LED Fogs without RS Headlights:

Sylvania "Bright White" Halogens VS Aftermarket HID Bulbs:

Fog Lights Brightness Comparison Pictures:

RS Lights Install:

7/25/14
My showstopper sidemarker LEDs came in after about a 4 week wait. These were painted black to match with a tint on the LEDs, I did not want the ghosted option just because I wanted a bit of red and amber to show on the sides. I see too many Camaros around with tinted sidemarkers that just make the whole car looked blacked out and I wanted to stand out differently than them, and I never really liked when people completely blacked out their cars. Here are some pictures of the sidemarkers before and after, on and off. I'll need to get more pictures but I'll be adding more of other mods I'm doing so you'll be seeing them more anyways

Front before install:

Front off:

Front on:

Rear before install:

Rear off: (I apologize for not taking the picture sideways like all the others)

Rear on:

8/10/14 FINALLY had time to install my technostalgia LED tail lights got these off a fellow camaro5 member. install was pretty easy, I don't know why everyone was complaining about taking off the bezels and everything. Mine came right off... while I was at it, I also installed flat black bezels from phastek and they helped me out with that with their quick shipping, good price and great customer service
Technostalgias off:

Technostalgias on:

Actually making it a point to use my turn signals now more pics and vids of the lights later!

Wishlist:
  • Colorshift Halos

Last edited by TommyTheCat; 08-11-2014 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:10 AM   #4
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Wheels & Tires

The majority of us here at Camaro5 hate those stock steelies. I've seen a few people actually like them, but I am definitely not one of them. I hated the wheels from the first second I saw them. After about 2-3 months I found some used OEM SS/RS wheels online that had been chromed black. Upon their arrival I realized that they were not staggered, but 9" wide all around. It's my fear that they are actually replica wheels, but they look good enough that if they are replicas nobody would notice without me telling them so. IF they are... otherwise I guess I somehow got four rear wheels? If someone here has replicas and can show me how I can find out please PM or reply so I can check! Curiosity kills. Either way, I still staggered the tires since they had already been ordered. I went with Pirelli P Zeros, but plan on getting something else once I waste them.
The first picture in the thread, I believe, is the only picture I have left of the car with stock wheels after my SD card destroyed itself. There are other pictures showing my wheels in other sections of this thread but here are a few showing them off. And of course I have wheel locks... two sets.

Last edited by TommyTheCat; 07-13-2014 at 03:18 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:10 AM   #5
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Exhaust

OK, I'll be honest. I feel like my car sounded like a moped when I bought it. I've seen people say otherwise but it's not true, the V6 Camaro sounds like a ***** stock. I needed to change that, but of course I wanted to make sure it didn't sound like a Honda, and I didn't want too much drone obviously. I got Magnaflow axle-back exhaust, decided not to get the X Pipe... at least not yet. I feel like putting in my own no-name brand X Pipe would do just the same at a fraction of the cost and wouldn't need to be direct fit anyway.
Here are some pictures of the magnaflow installed... no more stock trash cans showing!
Stock VS Magnaflow:

After install:

After a while I grew tired of the look and wanted quad 1LE-style tips. I purchased the 1LE diffuser online and found some Wicked exhaust tips that would work. Here are a few pictures of the install and comparison. I wanted different tips but was in a rush because the Magnaflows were almost rubbing the diffuser and I didn't want to bend or cut the exhaust over and over again. I may change them out for bigger tips later on.
1LE Diffuser installed with Magnaflow axle-back:

Wicked Tip:

Had to cut it a bit:

Sorry about the blur:

Halfway done, had to change the hangers:

And finally done:

Last edited by TommyTheCat; 07-13-2014 at 03:34 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:10 AM   #6
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Bolt-Ons & Performance Mods

Ok so I don't have much for this section just yet... Besides exhaust there are really no performance mods I've done EXCEPT for my ROTOFAB air intake. I opted for the dry filter. The intake looks great, sounds great and feels great, definitely worth every cent. Special thanks to PHASTEK for the great price and fast shipping.

Just installed this strut bar! Bought it from member NoExcuses, I will get it painted later on when I have a chance and an actual paint scheme... considering hydrodipping it.

Closer up:

Wish list:
  • Elite Catch Can
  • VMAX Ported Throttle Body

Last edited by TommyTheCat; 07-18-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:11 AM   #7
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Interior Mods

Nothing major yet! Planning on getting the rear cup holder delete for five switches, carbon fiber pieces for the door panels and light part of the dash, and more.

Last edited by TommyTheCat; 07-13-2014 at 04:06 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:11 AM   #8
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Body

See exhaust pictures for the 1LE Diffuser.

Finally got sick of the regular stock grille, so I ordered a heritage grille. Not painted black to see how I would feel about it, and I definitely feel like it should either painted black to match... OR I might get it hydrodipped to match this new carbon fiber hood I recently picked up off a member here It is the A74 TruCarbon ZL1 replica hood. First thing I did was install the hood so I could be sure it would fit properly. It'll really pull together once I have the ZL1 fascia, whenever I decide to get it.
Here's the hood:

And a shot to compare with the stock:

As you can I didn't want to scratch anything lol... no hood on the car:

Installed with stock grille:

another:

Installed with unpainted heritage grille:

Really need to do something to the heritage grille...
Coming soon:
  • Anvil Glossy Carbon Fiber Spoiler (Awaiting shipment!)
Wish list:
  • ZL1 Front Bumper Cover Fascia w/ CF Accents on bezels
  • Hydrodip parts of current Heritage Grille
  • ZL1 Rockers

Last edited by TommyTheCat; 08-01-2014 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:11 AM   #9
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

FORCED INDUCTION?!

Well hopefully, eventually, one day, maybe, perhaps!? I am actually thinking of starting a turbo tip jar if anyone wants to donate! (;

Last edited by TommyTheCat; 07-13-2014 at 04:09 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:12 AM   #10
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Misc.

to be updated

Last edited by TommyTheCat; 07-14-2014 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:01 AM   #11
rgrmoreira13

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
Your car looks amazing. I have the same intake. I am also thinking of doing that exhaust set-up how does it sound with the Roto-Fab intake. Do you have a video with the set up you have now ??

TSP Stage 2 Boosted Cam 227/235 at 114 LSA
Fore Innovation Triple pump staged (Walbro 342 primary and 2x Walbro 450 secondaries)
Procharger D1x with a 3.85 pulley
ID1050x Injectors
Flex Fuel Sensor
Monster LT1 Twin Disk Clutch
Holley Sniper Efi Intake Manifold
NW 103mm Boosted TB
747rwhp at 12psi on E85
rgrmoreira13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:29 PM   #12
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrmoreira13 View Post
Your car looks amazing. I have the same intake. I am also thinking of doing that exhaust set-up how does it sound with the Roto-Fab intake. Do you have a video with the set up you have now ??
thanks! i don't have any videos, i tried taking a video when i first did the magnaflows and the sound quality was just terrible... i need to get a go pro and attach it near the exhaust.

i like the exhaust but if you really want it to be loud then the magnas are not for you. definitely better than stock, but i think the loudmouths or simply no mufflers at all would sound nicer... i'd just get annoyed of it being too loud all the time as a daily driver
Old 07-16-2014, 06:41 AM   #13
aquablueL99
Jackson's COTW

Drives: 1968 Camaro & 2010 Camaro 2SS
Your car looks great!! Love the transformation. Nicely done...

Nice work on the quads.....

Kurt ABL99...

Last edited by aquablueL99; 07-17-2014 at 06:55 AM.
aquablueL99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:26 AM   #14
Pathogen

Drives: 2014 1LS Camaro
Tommy the Cat had many a story to tell, but it was a rare occasion such as this, that he did.

Very nice!