Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-25-2009, 04:02 AM   #1
xknowonex

Drives: Lexus SC300
Thumbs down California Considering Ban on Big Screen TVs

Quote:
In their continuing quest to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, state regulators have uncovered a new villain in the war on global warming : your big screen TV

Couch potatoes, beware.

The California Energy Commission is considering a proposal that would ban California retailers from selling all but the most energy-efficient televisions. Critics say the news standards could take 25 percent of televisions off the market — most of them 40 inches or larger.

“The larger the television, the more at risk it is of being banned unnecessarily in California,” said Douglas Johnson, senior director of technology police for the Consumer Electronics Association.

Association officials say the standards are not only unnecessary – because the federal government already regulates energy efficiency through the voluntary Energy Star program — but also ill-timed. The last thing our economy needs now is products taken off the market, they say.

Furthermore, they say that with a weak economy, consumers are going out less and watching TV more.

“This is really about regulating entertainment, not energy use,” Johnson said.

Poppycock, says the commission.

Affordable big screen TVs will still be available under the new standards, spokesman Adam Gottlieb said. In fact, he said the regulations will save you money.

The commission calculates that if you buy televisions meeting the proposed standards it’ll cut your annual energy use by — drum roll, please — $18 to $30 per television per year.

“I don’t know anyone who doesn’t like to save money,” Gottlieb said.

Gottlieb said the commission is exploring the regulations to reduce the strain on the energy grid and to avoid building new power plants.

Televisions are the fastest growing consumer appliance in California. Californians are buying bigger TVs, and more of them. If something doesn’t happen, televisions are going to devour a bigger and bigger piece of the state’s power grid, which means we’ll need more power plants. More power plants mean more greenhouse gas emissions.

“Consumers aren’t aware of the hidden cost of powering these things,” Gottlieb said.

Gottlieb insisted that the regulations wouldn’t eliminate big screens from California stores. But the commission’s own draft report says TV energy use is “proportional to the screen size.” And there’s no doubt the regulations will limit energy use.

So if you’re in the market for big screen TV, now might be the time to buy. The regulations are expected to be approved this summer.

Want to weigh in? Email the Energy Commission with your comments at appliances@energy.state.ca.us.
http://taxdollars.freedomblogging.co...een-tvs/12993/
xknowonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:04 AM   #2
a6pk2go

Drives: ...
Wow........I don't think I like all of California's laws. Might be a good business to get into right now..........selling large screen TV's.
a6pk2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:56 AM   #3
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Not sure who's crazier..

California's Gubment, or the Fed. O_o
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:10 AM   #4
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
i think we should divide that state amongst it peers and pretend it never happened
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Umm .....

WHAT?????

Who the hell do they think they are ......

I could not live there, that don't make sense, Did not know my 40 inch Samsung had a smog level, f-ing idiots

I could not live there ... AT ALL

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
And you wonder why California is bankrupt!!! People are leaving in masses. If they keep leaving maybe they won't have a need to build new plants. Empty homes and aparments don't require much energy. Global Warming is a HOAX being pulled over the eyes of the uneducated.

2012 ZL1 #213 M6 Black on Black
2013 ZL1 #2638 Convertible Auto
2010 Chevrolet Suburban
2011 GMC Seirra HD Denali
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:59 AM   #7
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Way to bankrupt the pritvate business in CA. People will just go buy them across the nearest boarder or have them shipped. Might be a good time to open an electronics store just outside of CA.

Like I said before, one of Americas biggest problems is California.

I wonder if Alec Baldwin or Barbara Streisand will give up their TVs
Old 03-25-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
One thing after another. Boy, I tell ya....they say the world is coming to an end in 2012...and some actually have to ask how we know this.

Please...if the gov't continues this crap, the people will change everything guaranteed....and not in a nice way.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #9
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Europe anyone

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:11 PM   #10
scotchsride09
It's STARSCREAM!!!

Drives: 2003 Nissan Frontier S/C DR
I don't care if the cops come pull me away from my computer for saying this... I really hate this state sometimes. If everything and everyone I knew wasn't here I'd leave.

You hear that California??? I'd go, if I had a choice!!!

I know. Doesn't make any difference...

*sigh*

Right now it's an '03 Nissan Frontier Supercharged Desert Runner I call Starscream.

On order is a 1SS/ RS IBM with Black Rally Stripes, Beige Interior, manual transmission and a sunroof! Oh, and a stereo upgrade too! Ordered from CamaroScotty in WI. How will I get my baby home?
scotchsride09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #11
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord

Idiots!
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:20 PM   #12
Rallysport
Go Cardinals!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 6-speed #1879
That is freaking assinine. How does anyone even stand to live in the "land of fruits and nuts"? TVs using more power, thus more "greenhouse" gases emmited= ban big screens. Unfreakin believable! How long are people going to put up with this crap? Global warming is BS and the entire state of California can break off and fall into the ocean.....talk about idiots running the asylum!
Old 03-25-2009, 02:27 PM   #13
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
One thing after another. Boy, I tell ya....they say the world is coming to an end in 2012...and some actually have to ask how we know this.
Please...if the gov't continues this crap, the people will change everything guaranteed....and not in a nice way.
You're exactly right TAG. It's rapidly coming to that point just for reasons like this. And the way this country's headed, I'm going to be glad when it happens.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:18 PM   #14
lakers171
SoCal MAYHEM

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS IBM
good thing i have a projector as the tv
lakers171 is offline   Reply With Quote