Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
brettsimons

Drives: 2011 Automatic Camaro 2SS
Those darn knocking sounds!!

Hey guys, so I installed headers and exhaust a few weeks ago and just can't get past this: every so often, when making a left turn only and usually only when the engine isn't warmed up yet, I can hear the headers vibrating against the heat shielding for a second. It just sounds bad and want to figure out a way to fix this! Me and my brother have looked at it before and we know exactly where it's happening but we have moved (well more like dented) the heat shielding as far out of the way as possible (the engine bay can't be moved to accommodate ) but it is still happening! Any ideas as to how to stop or insulate the heat shielding so it's at least not that metal on metal sound? I would prefer to not have to take the headers out and dent them!
brettsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
not trying to knock (pun not intended) the brand of headers, but you can switch to American Racing and eliminate the problem. I've had their headers since '10 and never had or heard of anyone who had a problem with them.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #3
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
I ran Kooks headers for nearly 3 years on my 2010 and never had any knocking or rubbing sounds. The Camaro engine bay has way more room than other cars, even a half-way decent header shouldn't rub.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
Gibby'SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Is this the heat shield that runs along the under side? The tunnel area?

Do you have a photo of the area where the headers are knocking? Can you remove a small section of the shield? If I remember correctly there are a couple of cuts (4) already in the shield. Removing a very small square to alleviate the knock shouldn't create any problems.

If this is not feasible denting the pipe may be your only solution if you have tried to realign the system.

Good luck.
[COLOR="Blue"]CAI Intake, Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers and full exhaust, Vmax Ported Throttle Body, TFS Gen X 255 heads, custom VVT cam by Pat Guerra, RX Catch Can, Pedderized suspension, ghosted side markers, Technostalgia tail lights, Big Worm spears, Forgestar f14 in gunmetal, Nitto Invo 275/315

455HP/422TQ.
Gibby'SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
remove the heat shield.
429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
r u sure thats where the sound is coming from? some headers hit the steering arm, and the tunnel brace under the car is bad for makin the same noise. the heat shield will do the same tho. mine done it in the tunnel where the shield is and i just pushed on it and it fixed it.

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
brettsimons

Well I'm going to take another look today and post some pictures, but I think the easiest solution right now would be to cut a hole in the heat shielding... And thanks for the suggestion but I'm happy with my current headers and definitely can't afford to buy more! Lol!

As for the steering column suggestion, it's definitely knocking on the passenger side because it happens during left hand turns only (when the engine shifts to the right a bit) and I have a ridiculous amount of extra space on that side! Wish I could just pick up the engine and move it over a half an inch! :(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
Quick

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th
Just curious...what brand name headers are they?

Something wicked this way cometh...
Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
Or, where were they manufactured......

Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #10
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
^^^^ lmao^^^^

I love this guy!!
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
brettsimons

I don't believe where they were manufactured is important :P but they are JBA! I love them but just don't like hearing this noise even though my brother doesn't tend to hear it (maybe I'm just overly sensitive to my car lol). I'll see if I can get some extra time tomorrow for the picture since it's presidents day and I don't have work!

Old 02-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #12
2010 4 DW
Account Suspended

Drives: White 2010 RS/SS
I had the same issue with my LT's on my 4th gen and I just bent up the heat shield and never heard the noise again.

Good Luck!
2010 4 DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #13
TimSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
I had the same issue after I installed my Borla ATAK Catback. It would knock during left turns. It sounded awful, and I could feel it through the car. I took it back to the shop and they re-checked the alignment, and fixed it. Check everything from your headers to your exhaust. Your exhaust could now be slightly out of alignment, and hitting the tunnel brace. Here are a few links as reference.

exhaust hitting tunnel brace with ARH headers
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237621

keeping the exhaust from hitting the cross brace
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97544

a quick google search with camaro5 at the end should give you some results.
TimSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #14
brettsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSS View Post
I had the same issue after I installed my Borla ATAK Catback. It would knock during left turns. It sounded awful, and I could feel it through the car. I took it back to the shop and they re-checked the alignment, and fixed it. Check everything from your headers to your exhaust. Your exhaust could now be slightly out of alignment, and hitting the tunnel brace. Here are a few links as reference.

exhaust hitting tunnel brace with ARH headers
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237621

keeping the exhaust from hitting the cross brace
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97544

a quick google search with camaro5 at the end should give you some results.
From those posts it definitely sounds like it may be that! I'll have to take a look this weekend or next when I get a chance! By the way, anyone have some extra time I can borrow? I could use it lol!