Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #15
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I'm thinking the key is making sure the tune is really ready for aggressive driving. If the tune has the car doing mid to high 11s for AFR, then I think the engine should be pretty happy. What makes me nervous is seeing some guys driving hard when their tune is not quite ready for it.

Amazingly, we still have not really seen any blown engines or transmissions due to the extra power at the standard boost levels. (well, one engine did go boom, but we all found out the tune was not ready to handle the psi he was throwing at it). So that is why I feel for the basic 5 - 6psi setup I think these engines/powertrains will last a lot of miles. But I think we have yet to see how all the components hold up when we really start pushing these things 8 - 10 or more psi.

I feel like if I was purchasing one of these kits I'd probably stick with the basic 5 - 6 psi at the beginning for awhile for a few reasons: 1) the tune seems to be ready....although it seems that the higher psi tune isn't far away from being fine as well. 2)It would still give me a lot more power and staying at this level for a while gives me more headroom for another upgrade in power down the road if I want it. 3) Staying at the lower boost levels would also give me the chance to see you other pioneers going into higher boosts and learn from your experiences/issues before I went there.

But that is just me. I realize when spending that much money, it makes the most sense to get as much power as you can, but I'm usually easily satisfied lol.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #16
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
Yep you're so right (and why does the forum look so ghey right now? I certainly hope this isn't a permanent change.)
My main concern is getting into a situation where I'm chasing my tail trying to find the right tune along with the current shortcomings associated with data logging and getting an update in a timely manner.

I do have my truck to drive should the unthinkable happen and a Scion xB in storage should the truck go down as well. And if those options tank on me then i can bum rides off my wife, LOL.

And if my wife would ever get her money, then I've got that buy a new motor should it go kaboom. Otherwise I'm back to rat-holing.

Wanting that Razzi body kit and to do some interior/exterior lighting mods and maybe some cams and ported heads. Something tells me the more porting done the better this motor will sound. Ported IM helped a bit.
Good... sounds like you've been doing a good job thinking things through... But your right on the money about the tuning... i see that becoming the systems Achilles heel...
Old 07-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #17
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
What bothers me is the young guy, whose car is there only vehicle, living pay-check to pay-check, who wants to finance a turbo or SC for their car...
Lol I was that young guy but without the financing part. Thank god nothing happened. I did manage to save up a few thousand a couple months after I finished just incase the motor blew. I would never put myself in that situation again but I will never regret that I did do it if that makes sense!

But Congrats six, finally you can put some power behind the looks!
(Sold Sept 2015) Stock 18" Heritage w/ BFG G-Force ZR tires / Blacked out bowties and tail lights / DIY Remote-Mount Turbo Kit (Precision 6776S .81ar ex. @ 6.5psi, Tial 38mm WG, Greddy Type-S BOV) / RX Catch Can / RX-FTI 3600 Stall / Blue Well Lights / Team LLT
Old 07-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #18
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Good... sounds like you've been doing a good job thinking things through... But your right on the money about the tuning... i see that becoming the systems Achilles heel...
It certainly has the potential to. But I think Tracy is a pretty smart guy and it sounds like some other tuning options are emerging that he already has relationships with that he can tap into. No disrespect to Trifecta, but they seem to be in the position where they can't keep up with the demand.

Vince is a great guy and has worked his tail off to help us V6ers. He's just gotta figure out a way to get his products ands services out to the masses in a manner that satisfies demand and his own quality standards which I know are high and protect his intellectual property. No small task indeed.

IPF though it currently has less tuning options seems to be a well thought out tune if you're just doing axlebacks with your SC. Hopefully some fences can be mended and they could possibly step up and fill a void as well. It's the same head unit though the piping is different. Not sure how that all affects the tuning process though.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #19
SIXJAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I'm thinking the key is making sure the tune is really ready for aggressive driving. If the tune has the car doing mid to high 11s for AFR, then I think the engine should be pretty happy. What makes me nervous is seeing some guys driving hard when their tune is not quite ready for it.

Amazingly, we still have not really seen any blown engines or transmissions due to the extra power at the standard boost levels. (well, one engine did go boom, but we all found out the tune was not ready to handle the psi he was throwing at it). So that is why I feel for the basic 5 - 6psi setup I think these engines/powertrains will last a lot of miles. But I think we have yet to see how all the components hold up when we really start pushing these things 8 - 10 or more psi.

I feel like if I was purchasing one of these kits I'd probably stick with the basic 5 - 6 psi at the beginning for awhile for a few reasons: 1) the tune seems to be ready....although it seems that the higher psi tune isn't far away from being fine as well. 2)It would still give me a lot more power and staying at this level for a while gives me more headroom for another upgrade in power down the road if I want it. 3) Staying at the lower boost levels would also give me the chance to see you other pioneers going into higher boosts and learn from your experiences/issues before I went there.

But that is just me. I realize when spending that much money, it makes the most sense to get as much power as you can, but I'm usually easily satisfied lol.
KM great points and you got me thinking I might just go ahead and install my base SC kit sans HPFP for now and just run 5-6#'s of boost. It seemed the tune for that set up right now is pretty solid.

You guys and your words of wisdom are very helpful.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:47 PM   #20
riki3fan
Camaro Obsessed

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS Supercharged A6
Send a message via Yahoo to riki3fan
I went through that moment of panic during our build as well. Thinking, wow, I can't believe I just laid out that kind of cash. We have contingency plans, including two spare cars, just in case, and a husband that can fix anything that could go wrong. But it is still scary to think how much you're throwing at the car, both from a money and from a power perspective. And then hoping that it can handle it.

But it is such a rush to feel the power under that hood. To finally see your passenger thrown back against their seat is a really great feeling. No matter what, you will love the way your car drives, even if it has to come in stages. And you will finally feel that sense of respect coming from the V8 people in your life/club. That is another great feeling. I hope you can work out any kinks that might come along. Just keep the end goal in mind, and you'll be fine. Congrats on taking the plunge! It makes your stomach sink like you're on a high dive, but the rush is totally worth it. Good luck!

Mods done before I got her:
Vortech V3 Supercharger, full exhaust, high flow cats, LTH, trailing arms, tow rods and anti-sway bars, window tint, body kit - I've since added Drag Radials

Mods Up Next:
Linelock, upgraded air filter, heat shield

Dyno 601 RWHP

8/20/2019 - Purchased from fellow CCOTR member, who purchased from another CCOTR member in 2015

Gone to a new home: Nadia-2014 2SS/RS A6 IBM

Gone to a new home: Eva-2011 2LT/RS M6 IBM Supercharged!
Old 07-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #21
SIXJAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by riki3fan View Post
I went through that moment of panic during our build as well. Thinking, wow, I can't believe I just laid out that kind of cash. We have contingency plans, including two spare cars, just in case, and a husband that can fix anything that could go wrong. But it is still scary to think how much you're throwing at the car, both from a money and from a power perspective. And then hoping that it can handle it.

But it is such a rush to feel the power under that hood. To finally see your passenger thrown back against their seat is a really great feeling. No matter what, you will love the way your car drives, even if it has to come in stages. And you will finally feel that sense of respect coming from the V8 people in your life/club. That is another great feeling. I hope you can work out any kinks that might come along. Just keep the end goal in mind, and you'll be fine. Congrats on taking the plunge! It makes your stomach sink like you're on a high dive, but the rush is totally worth it. Good luck!
Thank you riki. Glad you got ur FI installed and are are lovin it.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #22
smoke1lt

Drives: 2011 1lt/rs/sim
SIX I know you have been waiting for this for along time,your almost there.I know I am still willing to try the 2'' od pulley even though Baylor's tune might not perfect yet.I know some might not take the risk,but the only way to get it to work is for people to try it and see what happens.If you get get with Tracy he has a post that he can get a 1'' od and 1.5 od pulley that might be better for us on the stock HPFP,but the only way to find out is for someone to try the differant size pulleys and find what one will work the best.Hats off to Baylor for trying the 2'' first,I hope we can still get it to work.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #23
SIXJAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke1lt View Post
SIX I know you have been waiting for this for along time,your almost there.I know I am still willing to try the 2'' od pulley even though Baylor's tune might not perfect yet.I know some might not take the risk,but the only way to get it to work is for people to try it and see what happens.If you get get with Tracy he has a post that he can get a 1'' od and 1.5 od pulley that might be better for us on the stock HPFP,but the only way to find out is for someone to try the differant size pulleys and find what one will work the best.Hats off to Baylor for trying the 2'' first,I hope we can still get it to work.
Ok good to know. Thanks for sharing that.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #24
SIXJAK

Just noticed in my email that another 3lb FedEx package from Palmetto, FL is enroute? OD pulley?
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #25
V6owner
Cedar Creek Woodshop

Drives: One Badass 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
Just noticed in my email that another 3lb FedEx package from Palmetto, FL is enroute? OD pulley?
Now that wouldn't be fair if you got yours and I didn't lol
Old 07-10-2012, 02:02 AM   #26
SIXJAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6owner View Post
Now that wouldn't be fair if you got yours and I didn't lol
I have not received an email or message fro Tracy so IDK exactly WHAT it is. Perhaps it was an oversight on something that should have been included in the first shipment.

As for fairness I DID technically pay for my pulley waaaaaaaaay before anybody else did.

Leaning heavily towards just installing base SC kit sans HPFP and OD pulley for now while I get used to rocking the FI way. I know the tune is pretty solid for that setup. Then maybe I can determine whether or not to go from baby bear pulley (stage 1) to mama bear pulley (stage 2) or to papa bear pulley (stage 3). It's going to be a fun ride.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #27
V6owner
Cedar Creek Woodshop

Drives: One Badass 1LE
Lol I was just joking. But you might be in my situation I'd you go standard pulley right now. I think you have the tune for the OD pulley
Old 07-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #28
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Jak, we sent the new HPFP and catchcan converted to the dual valve. Also, whenyou get the kit, PM me a picture of the bracket ends where they bolt to the engine to make sure I didn't miss a machining step. If I did I'll tell you what to do.

No pulleys yet......but you have one of the standard size billet pulleys to use until the overdrives arrive.

And yes, Vince has been great, but is slammed due to demand....but he will get the HPDI big boost tune perfected. The 6 PSI tune is great.

Closed Thread

Tags
lol