Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-17-2019, 08:51 AM   #1
CamaroFiveGuy

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Inner Tail Light Out?

The inner brake tail light (the one above the trunk at the base of the rear window) doesn't light up when I brake.

Any suggestions on how I can troubleshoot this? Don't know if it's the bulb or a fuse or another issue. My other rear tail lights work fine. This is for a 2013 Camaro 2LT RS (approx. 50k miles).

I always thought these inner brake tail lights were built to last by car companies, as I have never heard of one being replaced. That is why I was leaning towards a fuse issue rather than a bulb issue.

Last edited by CamaroFiveGuy; 12-17-2019 at 09:02 AM.
CamaroFiveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:51 PM   #2
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
They are LEDs, and they go out all the time. If you care about it you'll likely have to replace it, which is about $100 in parts!

I'm assuming you're talking about the center brake light.

dorman aftermarket unit is part # 923-090. i think you have to remove the deck to change it, not sure. there are aftermarket LED bars that are better quality (not the dorman i listed) that i would replace it with if i felt the need to if/when it goes out on mine. or just leave it disconnected, i don't care for it too much since i always check my other lights work

also FYI there is no fuse to check for this light. if the signal is getting there, it should work. only way to check that is tearing it apart, might as well have the part ready.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:05 PM   #3
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Yeah mine is also out. It's a very annoying process to get to it, as you need to remove the seats and most of the inner trim in the back just to get the speaker tray off enough to remove the light.

I have been living with mine being out for months now, as I'm not ready to deal with the hassle of taking out the back of the car haha.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:09 PM   #4
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Have fun.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:57 AM   #5
CamaroFiveGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
They are LEDs, and they go out all the time. If you care about it you'll likely have to replace it, which is about $100 in parts!

I'm assuming you're talking about the center brake light.

dorman aftermarket unit is part # 923-090. i think you have to remove the deck to change it, not sure. there are aftermarket LED bars that are better quality (not the dorman i listed) that i would replace it with if i felt the need to if/when it goes out on mine. or just leave it disconnected, i don't care for it too much since i always check my other lights work

also FYI there is no fuse to check for this light. if the signal is getting there, it should work. only way to check that is tearing it apart, might as well have the part ready.
Are there any how-to guides or videos on changing it out? Just curious to how much work is involved. Sounds like it's significant so I'll just leave it as is since the other lights work.
Pretty disappointing though that it went out so quick.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:59 AM   #6
CamaroFiveGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
Yeah mine is also out. It's a very annoying process to get to it, as you need to remove the seats and most of the inner trim in the back just to get the speaker tray off enough to remove the light.

I have been living with mine being out for months now, as I'm not ready to deal with the hassle of taking out the back of the car haha.
That's what I was worried about :(

I was hoping I could just pop it out and replace it and be on my way. Not sure if its worth all that hassle. Can't imagine a dealer would do it for cheap either.