Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #43
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caswell239 View Post
I'm interested to know. My old 2011 ram 1500 learned two different sets. I had stockers I ran in winter and 22s in the summer. I could swap tires all around the truck or back and forth to summer to winters and it knew exactly was going on all the time. Never had to relearn. Wonder if the Maro is the same
What happens if you rotate them? Yes if the sensor is cloned, then you just swap and no big deal. But our owners manual says if we change sensors we have to learn the sensor.
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:28 PM   #44
alv927

Drives: 2013 camaro 2ss/rs dusk edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotintops View Post
My car is white and white is always supposed to hide dirt better but after washing her I take a speed run to dry and in 2 miles she is dirty again back on the lower door and rear fenders.

Hopefully Skylane is working on a kit to run these http://goo.gl/JvHUrj
Wheres the logic in that? White does "NOT" hide dirt better its the fastest color to show dirt...Mid colors are better dirt camouflage , gun metal grey etc.....
alv927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #45
Skylane765

Yes a sensor can be cloned, but you need the number off the one that's in the tire you are changing. I do not want to break all the tires down. So I will just lure the new tire. It takes a more costly coning tool to do it. It's good for shops to do it, because it takes less time to clone than learn.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:18 PM   #46
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
brt - thanks for the tire review...

As far as TPMS on a track day tire & wheel setup goes - does anybody really pay attention to the TPMS when they're out there on the track at speed? You aren't likely to hear any little beep with a full-face helmet on and the windows open at 100+ mph or at WOT in the lower gears.
When I'm on-track I'm alternating between oil temp & pressure and TPMS. The Trofeo Rs have a fairly narrow window, regarding optimal pressure, and running in high temperatures makes it very hard to get this just right. The "do not exceed" pressure is 34, and optimal is 32. So, yes -- I often have the TPMS screen up when I'm on the track...
Old 07-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #47
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
When I'm on-track I'm alternating between oil temp & pressure and TPMS. The Trofeo Rs have a fairly narrow window, regarding optimal pressure, and running in high temperatures makes it very hard to get this just right. The "do not exceed" pressure is 34, and optimal is 32. So, yes -- I often have the TPMS screen up when I'm on the track...

Ditto for me

Tire temp on TPMS is the primary thing I watch when on track. Too high psi, I end the session. Oil temp I watch for curiosity knowing I'm going to get two indications (A/C cutoff, then a warning light) if it gets hot.

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:14 PM   #48
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post

Ditto for me

Tire temp on TPMS is the primary thing I watch when on track. Too high psi, I end the session. Oil temp I watch for curiosity knowing I'm going to get two indications (A/C cutoff, then a warning light) if it gets hot.
Interesting. Do you guys commonly have large differences in tire pressures, session to session? What happens when you exceed 34 psi?
Old 07-07-2014, 07:59 AM   #49
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
I guess I have to assume that the TPMS pressure display really is sufficiently readable under at least some bright daylight conditions (the message panel on my car is not good enough for track driving use, even if I'm not wearing sunglasses, never mind that it doesn't feature an individual tire pressure display screen).

How accurate are the numbers it displays? Have people checked all of them against their own pressure gauges for a range of pressures? Pressure transducers are still mechanical in nature and thus subject to tolerances affecting accuracy . . .

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #50
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
Quote:
Originally Posted by alv927 View Post
Wheres the logic in that? White does "NOT" hide dirt better its the fastest color to show dirt...Mid colors are better dirt camouflage , gun metal grey etc.....

you are right...I should have said better than the last 2 fast black cars I've had.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #51
White_SS/RS

Quote:
I guess I have to assume that the TPMS pressure display really is sufficiently readable under at least some bright daylight conditions (the message panel on my car is not good enough for track driving use, even if I'm not wearing sunglasses, never mind that it doesn't feature an individual tire pressure display screen).

How accurate are the numbers it displays? Have people checked all of them against their own pressure gauges for a range of pressures? Pressure transducers are still mechanical in nature and thus subject to tolerances affecting accuracy . . .

Norm
It's easily readable and has pressures for each tire on one screen. The numbers seem to be accurate to the mechanical gauge I have by +/- a pound. I don't use the tire display and prefer an actual gauge when working with tire pressures at the track. For me it's just easier, if a small adjustment is needed, I'm right there by the valve stem and I don't have to worry about tolerance differences from sensor to sensor.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #52
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
I guess I have to assume that the TPMS pressure display really is sufficiently readable under at least some bright daylight conditions ...
Yes; it's very bright and easily readable at a quick glance...

Quote:
How accurate are the numbers it displays?
I'd say it's within 1/2 a pound, based on my readings. I always cross-check pressures with a digital gauge that reads to .1 psi, and the TPMS readout always seemed close to those measurements...
Old 07-07-2014, 11:33 AM   #53
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
Interesting. Do you guys commonly have large differences in tire pressures, session to session? What happens when you exceed 34 psi?
The car starts to feel a touch loose and greasy, IMHO, and you really start to feel this at 36 psi.

I'll ask Zfat to confirm this, but I think -- in the high temps of Thunderhill -- that 27 psi cold resulted in 33 psi hot. Quite the swing, and one reason the TPMS readout is a handy tool...

Last edited by brt3; 07-07-2014 at 12:24 PM.
brt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #54
Skylane765

I have found that a hand gauge and the DIC are very close. If they are within 1/2 lb then that's fine for 20 to 40lbs. Need closer for low 5 to 20 lbs.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #55
White_SS/RS

Quote:
The car starts to feel a touch loose and greasy, IMHO, and you really start to feel this at 36 psi.

I'll ask Zfat to confirm this, but I think -- in the high temps of Thunderhill -- that 27 psi cold resulted in 33 psi hot. Quite the swing, and one reason the TPMS readout is a handy tool...
If your running consistent lap to lap and session to session the tire temps should be stabilizing within +/- a pound each run. Of course significant changes in the weather will effect that, but once your tires reach operating temp, say 130*(after a lap or two) they should stay at that temp and corresponding pressure.

For example I set my tires at 26 when I get to the track, after a couple warm up laps I hit it hard for 20-30 minutes. It usually puts me around 33 psi. I will adjust if needed for the given conditions that day, but after that first run I'm usually set for the rest of the day.

I guess I'm just wondering why it needs monitoring during the session. Unless it's just curiosity cause I understand that too.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:31 PM   #56
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
If your running consistent lap to lap and session to session the tire temps should be stabilizing within +/- a pound each run. Of course significant changes in the weather will effect that, but once your tires reach operating temp, say 130*(after a lap or two) they should stay at that temp and corresponding pressure.

For example I set my tires at 26 when I get to the track, after a couple warm up laps I hit it hard for 20-30 minutes. It usually puts me around 33 psi. I will adjust if needed for the given conditions that day, but after that first run I'm usually set for the rest of the day.

I guess I'm just wondering why it needs monitoring during the session. Unless it's just curiosity cause I understand that too.
First, I'd never run at Thunderhill before my recent weekend there. Second, we had multiple runs over the course of the day (four, I think) so the variation in ambient between morning and afternoon was substantial. Third, I'm learning the car and the tire, and was unsure where I'd need to start to end up in the 32-34 range given the high temp of 106 degrees. Fourth, Pirelli claim the optimal pressure for this tire is 2 bar/30 psi. I was trying to find the optimal tire pressure window but I didn't buy the 30 psi scenario on a car with the weight of the Z/28.

After driving at Thunderhill, I believe the sweet spot is 32-34 psi. There was a tire expert, Guy Gamba, who was at the track measuring tread temps and pressures. He knows the Trofeo R very well, and thought the optimal pressure was 32 psi. I'm a little less positive about that, as his guys waited about 8-10 minutes -- after I was parked at their temporary "shop" -- to check temps and pressures...