Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:15 AM   #43
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Unfortunately. :(

See, and forgive the laymen's terms, I know it's not called the "change code". BUT...the computer detects tampering. Be it tuning, or return to stock. It's sort of like that little white square on your cell phones that detect water penetration. The phone might dry, but that square will be purple forever....
I believe the term you are looking is check digit.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #44
caperss

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS/RS red white stripe
My service Manager told me that on an engine warrenty claim GM want all the register codes from the ECM sent to the Factory. He explained that there are memory chips with offbeat codes that dont mean anything to the average guy but at the factory it would stick out like a sore thumb. I would think if you saved all the stock codes as in the Vector Motorsport system as long as those codes are put back into the correct places that it would satisfy the Dealer but I think GM Factory gurus can tell if something has been messed with. Likethe other thred says be afraid of the cable going to the Factory and not so much the dealer. The dealer has no idea what codes go where but Im sure the Factory computers can tell if things are messed with. I would think if you return the codes to stock the dealer probably wouldnt go the extra step of plugging into the Factory unless its a 10K engine to be replaced. Like other threads stated I havent heard of anyone being denied when returned to stock codes.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #45
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
the ecm does have a flash counter in it,, i have checked with gm GDS software with a MDI unit, and it is accutate to how many times ecm has been flashed.

so even if you put the factory program back in the ecm, this counter will still show how many times it was flashed, and it will still look fishy to gm that your ecm has been flashed X-number of times.
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
Old 04-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #46
caperss

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS/RS red white stripe
Maybe it might be a good idea to have your service dept flash your ride once or twice over a period of time, complaining that you have a drivability problem and you want them to flash it. It may not work but at least you will be in the system for complaining of a problem and showing the dealer flashed it a couple of times for you to try to satisfy you. That way if it does come up there will be an instance of a dealer flashing it.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:57 PM   #47
FrankT
400HP used to be enough..

Drives: 2010 2SS rs manual
GM is concerned about increasing part failures related to non-GM engine and transmission control calibrations being used. A bulletin has been released from GM telling how to identify the presense of a non factory calibration. GM also recommends that the dealer perform this check whenever a hard part failure is seen on engine, transmission or if a catalytic converter is to be replaced. On the 2010 Camaro, the GDS system is used. It will list the LAST TEN calibration events. These include the Calibration part number and the Verification Number (checksum). This has to be sent to GM and within two hours the dealer will receive an email reply after the calibrations are verified by GM. Only then can the dealer perform service on the car under warranty.
Remember, if ONE BIT in the program is wrong, the checksum or Verification Number will be wrong! I hope this clears thing up a bit...
Old 04-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #48
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by caperss View Post
Maybe it might be a good idea to have your service dept flash your ride once or twice over a period of time, complaining that you have a drivability problem and you want them to flash it. It may not work but at least you will be in the system for complaining of a problem and showing the dealer flashed it a couple of times for you to try to satisfy you. That way if it does come up there will be an instance of a dealer flashing it.
They wouldn't just flash your computer because you asked for it to be flashed. The only time they change the calibration is if there is a new calibration that has been released with a specific correction to a problem.
You wouldn't reflash an ECM with the same calibration it already has in it. That would be like changing your shorts by putting the same pair back on. Warranty won't pay for it either, they tend not to pay for things that don't accomplish anything.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:43 AM   #49
thiggin2

Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
Quote:
Originally Posted by caperss View Post
Most dealers are not going to "reflash" your PCM because you say you have a drivablility complaint. If there is an update you might get one if the update is for said problem, but if your cal is current then nothing will be "reflashed". Also if you just complain about BS symptoms then you are WASTING the techs time because he will not get paid if no problem is found!
Old 04-24-2010, 09:21 AM   #50
kelley@vectormotorsports

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
the ecm does have a flash counter in it,, i have checked with gm GDS software with a MDI unit, and it is accutate to how many times ecm has been flashed.

so even if you put the factory program back in the ecm, this counter will still show how many times it was flashed, and it will still look fishy to gm that your ecm has been flashed X-number of times.
I have also checked with our MDI and see none. I certainly see it on some diesel trucks, but not on this Gen 2 E38. I see the ability for it to be there when looking at the code, but it is not turned on.

The only count I ever see is the GM flash count. This is how many times it has been flashed with GM software. It does not show up with aftermarket software as it does not toggle the bit.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:33 AM   #51
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Exclamation

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...57#post1763057

That is all...

Closed Thread