Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #29
MIAMI2SSRS

Drives: 2016 Black 1SS Camaro
Thank you Six. I appreciate your reply. Same here. I have been looking for a FI setup for a while but unfortunately the money involved in setting up a SC or TT is a bit high. A solution like this one would be a lot more feasible at this point in time. I will do my research but the information you provided in this thread has been invaluable. Once again, thanks for the information.

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind:

- Which other support mods do you currently have in your car and are they necessary? The numbers you got with the 150 shot are very impressive.

- Based on your answer from above, for the 200 shot, which support mods if any would you recommend?

Keep in mind that I won't track my car and may goal is to get as much power as safely possible so I can have the most fun on the street.
MIAMI2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #30
SixGracing

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAMI2SSRS View Post
Thank you Six. I appreciate your reply. Same here. I have been looking for a FI setup for a while but unfortunately the money involved in setting up a SC or TT is a bit high. A solution like this one would be a lot more feasible at this point in time. I will do my research but the information you provided in this thread has been invaluable. Once again, thanks for the information.

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind:

- Which other support mods do you currently have in your car and are they necessary? The numbers you got with the 150 shot are very impressive.

- Based on your answer from above, for the 200 shot, which support mods if any would you recommend?

Keep in mind that I won't track my car and may goal is to get as much power as safely possible so I can have the most fun on the street.
The nitrous kit alone doesn't really need any supporting mods other than what's in the kit. You can do these on a bone stock car. I've read some threads where guys have put a 200 shot on a stock SS with good results. My car has been built, Cam, Heads, Headers, Exhaust, Intake, etc.. So I was already just over a 100 hp from stock before the Nitrous. Most of the time a 100 shot of nitrous will net you more than 100 hp. Your torque most always is higher than your wheel hp. I gained over 200 in torque with a 150 shot and about just over 150 hp. When we were tuning the car I gained 130 hp with the 100 shot. So the 100 is a ballpark and usually you can get higher numbers.

When I step up to the 200 shot jetting, I won't do anything different other than adjust timing and A/F. The one supporting mod that might be required is a softer tire. When the nitrous comes on it really pulls hard and those stock Pirelli's will have a hard time keeping traction. When I built my car before the nitrous I couldn't launch my car without lighting up the tires. There are some really good drag radials out there like the Nitto 555R's (which have worked great on my car) and Mickey Thompson ET Streets etc. They are softer, don't last as long but are worth their weight in gold for keeping your car stuck to the ground With close to 600 hp now the Drag radials aren't enough. I need slicks to race. But would still be ok with a daily driver like yours.

My car is still a pure joy as a daily driver. The beauty of that nitrous system is it can be there dormant and I can drive the car casually. But anytime you feel like the need for speed, flip that arming switch and hold on!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I had a lot of questions when I started my install and if you go the nitrous route, feel free to message me. I'd be glad to PM you my number for quicker response if you get into a build.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #31
MIAMI2SSRS

Thank you, Six. Great information, sir. Once again, I really appreciate your input. At this point the nitrous route is looking better and better. If youn don't mind me asking, what is the cost for the nitrous setup we are discussing here? Any idea (ballpark idea) on how much should in expect to pay for install and tune?

As you can see, I am a complete newbie.

Thank you for the help offer. I really appreciate it and I will keep you posted.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #32
dcoates18481

Drives: 2010 CAMARO RALLY YELLOW SS/RS/M6
Great info.
Thanks!

Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam Kit, Melling oil pump, C5R Timing Chain, Dyno Tuned by Shawn@Lethal Racing, Vararam Tuned intake, Vararam Power Wedge, LSR Tri Ax Short throw Shifter, VMAX Ported T/B, TSP 2" L/T Headers, TSP Cat delete, Borla axle back exhaust, Innovate A/F monitor, 471.7 HP/438.8 TQ
dcoates18481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #33
SixGracing

Quote:
Thank you, Six. Great information, sir. Once again, I really appreciate your input. At this point the nitrous route is looking better and better. If youn don't mind me asking, what is the cost for the nitrous setup we are discussing here? Any idea (ballpark idea) on how much should in expect to pay for install and tune?

As you can see, I am a complete newbie.

Thank you for the help offer. I really appreciate it and I will keep you posted.
I added some extra stuff that you could do without like the remote bottle opener which is $200+ and I also did the stage III accessory kit which adds some safety items required for the track which you wouldn't need since you don't plan on racing it. The stage III kit was over $500 and the dedicated fuel system which was $900. You could use a Boost a pump or change out your fuel pump with something that gets you more PSI. That all depends though on what your plans are for hp. Are you doing the 100 shot, 150, or 200? If you are doing the 100 shot you can use your stock config pretty safely. Anything more and you might run into fuel pressure issues. I think even installing a new pump is cheaper than the dedicated like I bought. But my system including the fuel system, remote bottle opener Stage III accessory kit and the Nitrous Outlet Camaro kit with 10lb bottle was just under $3K. My tune ended up costing $475 and it included the tech, the dyno and the cost of the C16 fuel I put in the fuel cell. So around $3500 if you round up. Still less than half the cost of an installed SC system which nets you the same if not more HP as a SC or Turbo system. The only drawback to nitrous is you have to be a little more attentive to it then you do the others. I installed mine so there was no charge for that. I asked my mechanic/tuner and he said they charge $800 to a $1000 for install. And believe me, that's cheap because it's a lot of wiring and work. Not hard, just tedious. Nitrous outlet gave me some really easy, straight forward diagrams though that laid the whole install out. I don't know your experience with electronics or tools but it's very basic. The install could be done on your own.

So minus the added items I talked about and you'd be just under $3K for everything if you do the install. Best bang for the buck out there. Minus the bang of course.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #34
SixGracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoates18481 View Post
Great info.
Thanks!
You're
Old 10-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #35
MIAMI2SSRS

Awesome. That is really good. Your entire systems, including the extras, for around $3,500 is really, really good. I would start with the 100 shot but I would like to have it ready for the 200 shot from the get go (to much fun). I would definetely replicate your setup. The safer the setup is the better it is.

Regarding being more attentive to it, what exactly are you referring to when you say that?

Also, is the list in your opening post a complete list of your setup?

Thanks again for the information.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #36
Fast6.3

Drives: 2016 2SS coupe 2015 3LT Stingray
Hey Six those are awsome numbers I got most of my kit here Im only waiting on a shift light I want to install at the same time. Is your car a ,manual or an a6 where did you mount the nos controller and the lnc2000. Did you run your main line and wireing thru the passenger side Im hoping to do my install next weekend since Im going to have some time off Im also going to do the heater hose relocation so my solenoids look better tks for your help
Old 10-06-2013, 03:58 AM   #37
SixGracing

Quote:
Awesome. That is really good. Your entire systems, including the extras, for around $3,500 is really, really good. I would start with the 100 shot but I would like to have it ready for the 200 shot from the get go (to much fun). I would definetely replicate your setup. The safer the setup is the better it is.

Regarding being more attentive to it, what exactly are you referring to when you say that?

Also, is the list in your opening post a complete list of your setup?

Thanks again for the information.
Being more attentive meaning you have things that deplete. Like my fuel cell and the nitrous bottle. Running out of nitrous just makes the car run slower and to a point of being completely out just makes it run rich. If you run out of fuel on the other hand, a lean situation could be bad. So attentive in that you just have to keep an eye on your system whereas a SC or TT you install them and drive without the need for monitoring anything. The nice thing about the fuel cell is it uses very little compared to the nitrous. So that gallon of gas, C16, or whatever you decide to run lasts much longer than the N2O. I've ran through 3 bottles now and am still about 3/4 full in the cell. Also you have to keep an eye on bottle pressure for optimum effect. A p.s.i. of around 950 is ideal. When I look at my gauge before doing anything, it's usually around 750 to 800. I turn the heater on and within about 10 minutes I'm up to the 950 range. One thing I'm going to add and suggest you do the same is put a gauge in the cockpit so you can see your pressure without having to stick you head in the trunk. The heater works great. I think I'm going to go with a nano system as soon as I can. Those things are awesome and give you a consistent pressure -http://www.nanonitrous.com/howitworks.shtml.

I have everything in my original list shown on the first page. The only thing I would change it 1 the pressure gauge I mentioned, I forgot to order the plate that mounts the bottle to the factory bolts at the back of the trunk, and I am getting the Nitrous Outlet bottle opener. The NOS one I ordered doesn't open the valve to the bottle, it's an inline electronic ball valve essentially. I guess it would work fine but I like the other design better.

Oh, one thing to note if you get the dedicated fuel cell make sure you order a 1/8 NPT X 6AN fitting for the fuel solenoid side of the fuel hose. The kit doesn't come with one and you won't be able to hook up your fuel line.

So I have:

Nitrous Outlet Camaro 90mm plate kit.
Nitrous outlet Stage III accessory pack.
Nitrous Outlet 10lb bottle
NOS Mini-2 progressive controller
Lingenfelter LNC-2000 for timing retard
NOS remote bottle opener (Changing to Nitrous Outlet Opener)
(adding) trunk mounting kit for the Camaro

With these things you have pretty much everything to install. You might needs some extra splices and some 16 and 14 guage wire. I'm going to go back through mine and where I put butt splices I'm going to solder the connections and use heat shrink for a more durable splice.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:02 AM   #38
SixGracing

Here's a link to the video of my car getting dyno'd this Friday at Sullivan Performance in Las Vegas. You can hear how quickly the power comes on when the pedal goes down.

http://youtu.be/cGT2C7imORE
Old 10-06-2013, 04:10 AM   #39
SixGracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast6.3 View Post
Hey Six those are awsome numbers I got most of my kit here Im only waiting on a shift light I want to install at the same time. Is your car a ,manual or an a6 where did you mount the nos controller and the lnc2000. Did you run your main line and wireing thru the passenger side Im hoping to do my install next weekend since Im going to have some time off Im also going to do the heater hose relocation so my solenoids look better tks for your help
I have the auto which has been converted to the LS3 setup basically. Removed the DOD/AFM and changed cam when I had my car built.

I mounted the NOS controller in the front lip of the car next to the fuse box and the LNC2000 on the firewall where the wires come through like in the GM Tech article. And yes I ran my wiring through the passenger side. You only have two wires coming from you cockpit for the switch panel. Other than that I ran the nitrous feed line through the same area and also mounted the progressive controller handheld in the jockey box.

The solenoids still look good with the heater hoses where they are at and the Nitrous Outlet N2O solenoid has a plate built on it to shield it from the hoses. But all in all probably have a cleaner look overall if you relocated them. Just plan on some time installing the entire system. It's very time intensive. It took me 3 days to do mine. Not working around the clock but a better part of each day to get the install complete. It's worth it though. You're going to LOVE the difference in power.

Last edited by SixGracing; 10-06-2013 at 04:42 AM.
SixGracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #40
MIAMI2SSRS

Thank you, Six. As I mentioned before, you provided invaluable information in this thread. I can't thank you enough.

Keep us updated regarding the upgrade to the 200 shot, the dyno, and track results (as your time permits).
Old 10-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #41
SixGracing

Quote:
Thank you, Six. As I mentioned before, you provided invaluable information in this thread. I can't thank you enough.

Keep us updated regarding the upgrade to the 200 shot, the dyno, and track results (as your time permits).
Will do. You're welcome. Let me know if there is anything I can do when you start your build.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #42
MIAMI2SSRS

I appreciate the offer Six and I will do just that.

Thanks again.