Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 04-05-2015, 10:19 AM   #1
MTCobra

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Stevenson Camaro's

I was watching the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge today and heard one change Stevenson made was going from a 6 piston caliper to a 4 piston caliper. The announcers didn't elaborate but I'm guessing this means they're using a smaller diameter rotor as well.

My guess is less rotating mass. Thoughts?

I never had a problem with the 4 piston Brembos with brake cooling ducts on the GT500. I bring this up to say the swap to 6 piston brakes may not be necessary and obviously there are pros and cons to both.

2014 ZL1
MTCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:31 PM   #2
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTCobra View Post
I was watching the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge today and heard one change Stevenson made was going from a 6 piston caliper to a 4 piston caliper. The announcers didn't elaborate but I'm guessing this means they're using a smaller diameter rotor as well.

My guess is less rotating mass. Thoughts?

I never had a problem with the 4 piston Brembos with brake cooling ducts on the GT500. I bring this up to say the swap to 6 piston brakes may not be necessary and obviously there are pros and cons to both.

2014 ZL1
This is a good move especially if our cars weighed what those cars weighed. Since our cars are elephants we may need those 6 pot calipers buddy. Unfortunately the rotors we use on those kits are heavier than the 4 pot offering. I was thinking of either going with the Stoptech 6 pot kit or the Disc Brake Australia 5000 series front rotor that is 5lbs lighter than the stock front and makes a huge difference in steering turning and makes the car more neutral. Weight is the enemy but used right to properly balance our not fully bred race cars it could make our cars faster around the track, weird but true. You could take a lot of weight off the rear of our cars, through off the weight balance big time making it more biased towards the front and watch our cars corner worse. It all depends on what you do in terms of power and balance. Hint, if you can get your car to around 3300lbs and 500hp, you can keep your 14" + rotors and 4 pot calipers, I know a famous Dodge car that has this setup and kills around a road course.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:12 PM   #3
brokencilence

Drives: '14 1LE, Z28.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
This is a good move especially if our cars weighed what those cars weighed. Since our cars are elephants we may need those 6 pot calipers buddy. Unfortunately the rotors we use on those kits are heavier than the 4 pot offering. I was thinking of either going with the Stoptech 6 pot kit or the Disc Brake Australia 5000 series front rotor that is 5lbs lighter than the stock front and makes a huge difference in steering turning and makes the car more neutral. Weight is the enemy but used right to properly balance our not fully bred race cars it could make our cars faster around the track, weird but true. You could take a lot of weight off the rear of our cars, through off the weight balance big time making it more biased towards the front and watch our cars corner worse. It all depends on what you do in terms of power and balance. Hint, if you can get your car to around 3300lbs and 500hp, you can keep your 14" + rotors and 4 pot calipers, I know a famous Dodge car that has this setup and kills around a road course.
I can tell you the StopTech 380mm 6pot front and 355mm 4 pot rear with hawk dtc70/60 pads is incredible. I just got my pads bed in yesterday and the stopping power is just unreal!
Old 04-06-2015, 12:53 AM   #4
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
I did the ZL1 6 piston swap and hate it...the 4 pot had much more stopping power. I boiled SRF on the 2nd lap! I had not eveb begun to use the brakes...
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:03 AM   #5
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Hmmm, well I did boil the fluid twice with the 4 pistons and that's why I switched to 6. I then went on to drive the crap out of the 6 pistons. I thought they were fantastic. If you boiled the fluid on your 6 pistons, you likely did not bleed them correctly.

I think the 4 pistons are very good for most. But if you are going to track it hard for sustained periods of time, the 6 pistons are worth the weight trade off.
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:22 PM   #6
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Man, so much discontent with brakes lately. I'd have to say, the 4 piston fronts are very capable, however the 6 pistons are on the ZL for a reason. I think many don't understand that your braking experience is unique to yourself. What works for one doesn't always mean works for everybody. I myself would fade 4 pistons with OEM pads, I went with 6 piston OEM pads thinking I could continue to run a street friendly pad with a caliper more capable of managing the heat on track... Nope! Now I'm looking at race pads. Could I get where I need to be with race pads and 4 pots? Possibly, but I'll continue with 6 pots and hopefully a milder race pad. Unfortunately, brakes are something you have to explore with until you find what works!
Old 04-06-2015, 01:32 PM   #7
Orange Crush 1LE

Amen White,

Exactly true. By the way, I tried a bunch of pads and ended up liking Hawk DTC-60s. I ran DTC-30s and hated them. Grindy, uneven pad buildup, didn't seem to bite hard. But the 60s work very well. Noisy on the street yes, so not sure if they are right for someone that wants street/track pads. But for pure track pads, they work well.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:56 PM   #8
L99CAMA2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130R View Post
DBA 5000 series 5 pounds lighter than OEM??? Where did you see that? I called DBA and asked about those. They make very good rotors, but they are HEAVY! The ONLY iron rotor I know of that is significantly lighter than OEM, is Racing Brake, which happen to be, 5 pounds lighter for the fronts...

BTW, do you honestly think removing 10 pounds from the front of a ~3900 pound car can make the car 'more neutral'? Seriously?
some of your opinions really tick me off. DBA 5000 not 4000 hello. As far as the lighter rotor thing, this is from past experience. Why don't you actually buy these items like I did and weigh them like I did. Stock rotors are around 25 lbs. DBA 20 lbs each.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:58 PM   #9
L99CAMA2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencilence View Post
I can tell you the StopTech 380mm 6pot front and 355mm 4 pot rear with hawk dtc70/60 pads is incredible. I just got my pads bed in yesterday and the stopping power is just unreal!
Thanks for the feedback on these Stoptech kits. X25 tried them and they really caught my attention. I personally like them more than the CTS-V kit.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:05 PM   #10
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Im stock, and even glowing my rotors i never had any fade.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:22 PM   #11
L99CAMA2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130R View Post
I spoke directly with the manufacturer and specifically asked about the 2-piece 5000 series rotors. If you got a set from them that weigh 6 or 7 pounds lighter than what they told me, good for you.

If they gave me the wrong weights, they blew it. I have to say I doubt it though, or people would be all over them...
Well sorry for coming off like that but the new 5000 2 piece rotors are 5 lbs lighter. Stay away from the 4000s.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:53 PM   #12
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
Amen White,

Exactly true. By the way, I tried a bunch of pads and ended up liking Hawk DTC-60s. I ran DTC-30s and hated them. Grindy, uneven pad buildup, didn't seem to bite hard. But the 60s work very well. Noisy on the street yes, so not sure if they are right for someone that wants street/track pads. But for pure track pads, they work well.
I've narrowed my search down to DTC60 or ST43 on all 4 corners, possibly the XP12/10. I don't care if their noisy as long as they have decent bite when cold. I'm curious how running the same pad front and rear will work so I may be going down a pad in the rear if it's too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
Im stock, and even glowing my rotors i never had any fade.
Thats some crazy footage! How fast do you go through pads?
Old 04-06-2015, 06:04 PM   #13
MTCobra

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I'm using the DTC-60's in front. I like them. Pad and rotor life seems good. My rotors have a lot of surface cracking but I have the factory replacements sitting in my garage just in case they develop larger cracks.

2014 ZL1
MTCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:26 PM   #14
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
I've narrowed my search down to DTC60 or ST43 on all 4 corners, possibly the XP12/10. I don't care if their noisy as long as they have decent bite when cold. I'm curious how running the same pad front and rear will work so I may be going down a pad in the rear if it's too much.

Those are my two favorites at this point, so I think you are zooming in on the right ones. I run ST43s on my Spec Mustang and DTC60s on my Camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTCobra View Post
I'm using the DTC-60's in front. I like them. Pad and rotor life seems good. My rotors have a lot of surface cracking but I have the factory replacements sitting in my garage just in case they develop larger cracks.

2014 ZL1
Remember the guy with the black Camaro race car (Sean) that we met at Buttonwillow? He runs ST43s and recommends them. Both good choices.