Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 04-16-2015, 06:26 AM   #57
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
I bought a 2007 Tahoe 5.3 with 55,000 miles last August. The intake needed a thorough cleaning and the TB had to be replaced due to excess deposits.

Ever think about what that crankcase mist does to the octane of your intake charge? CCs are popular because they work.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:43 AM   #58
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCamaro View Post
Not at all, the car will last 30 years either way, it's just one less (easily avoidable) possible issue and headache to deal with down the road. It's called being preventative. Same goes for the people who don't drive their car in salt. Of course it will last that long regardless, but avoiding salt will also prevent you from having to replace various rusted out parts down the road.
Lets put this another way... You take a multivitamin everyday, and you never get cancer. Did the vitamin or the fact you didn't have the environmental or genetic factors to have cancer play the larger role?
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #59
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
Doesn't the 1LE or ZL1 come with a catch can or oil separator? maybe both? I can't remember..

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:15 AM   #60
Warpaint69

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
Lets put this another way... You take a multivitamin everyday, and you never get cancer. Did the vitamin or the fact you didn't have the environmental or genetic factors to have cancer play the larger role?
The same could be said in visiting the dentist for checkups. Some preventative maintenance goes a long way.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:18 AM   #61
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolFan66 View Post
Doesn't the 1LE or ZL1 come with a catch can or oil separator? maybe both? I can't remember..
1LE's have a clean side catch can for use at the track due to high G-forces in cornering.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:30 AM   #62
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
I think it's funny how some people on this forum have spent thousands on mods, yet bad-mouth the oil catch can when you can visibly see it removing gunk that would be coating the intake. If it wasn't direct injected I wouldn't bother. I plan to keep our Camaro as long as it lasts - I own an Elite Catch Can. I have another vehicle with 150k which is 15 years old, and I change oil every 3k with synthetic. My mechanic recently put a timing chain on and replaced major gaskets and said he's never seen the inside of an engine with 150k miles so clean. It runs like new. I'll spend the $180 on a mod liek the catch can if it contributes to these results down the road. I'm the guy you want to buy a used car from.
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:37 AM   #63
ToolFan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
1LE's have a clean side catch can for use at the track due to high G-forces in cornering.
Thanks, I thought it was the 1LE..

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
Old 04-16-2015, 11:39 AM   #64
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
I don't mean on a forum (anecdotal).

Catch cans are a spinoff from the racing community. Most of us don't need them. It's a placebo, something for companies to make/sell, and for bored hobbyists to buy.
Longtube headers.
Aftermarket mufflers.
H-pipes and X-pipes.
Cold air intakes.
Synthetic motor oil.
Synthetic gear fluid.
Synthetic transmission fluid.

All these things are defined perfectly by the requirements you gave. Most of us don't need them, they're something for companies to make/sell, they're for bored hobbyists to buy and they're a spinoff from the racing community.

Do they do anything? They increase performance, vehicle life and efficiency of the vehicle itself. Your vehicles does not NEED them to run. Your vehicle WILL perform better in nearly all aspects with them. This idea that just because something isn't ESSENTIAL to function that it is therefore useless is asinine. If that's the case, disconnect all your spark plugs but one. The vehicle will still run. You don't NEED anymore than one cylinder. So why are you going out buying a car with more than one? Extra cylinders are just spinoffs from companies that want to sell stuff to bored hobbyists.

Honestly, the asinine things people say

There are 10 million photos out there of tons of gunk built up on engine internals because of oil blow-by from a PCV system. Do you know why companies DO NOT include a catch can stock?

$100 per catch can X 1,000,000 vehicles sold per year = $10,000,000 in added expenses they cannot charge for. Catch cans are NOT safety features that they can increase MSRP for. Catch cans are NOT performance features that generate more power that they can increase MSRP for. Catch cans do not cause immediate fuel economy increases that they can increase MSRP for. And since your manufacturer warranty will expire before the build-up becomes a durability issue, they will not have to service warranty claims. The $10M comes completely out of PROFIT. That's why you do not see them stock. There is NO BENEFIT to a manufacturer.

For the END USER, it'll maintain fuel efficiency standards by minimizing gunk build-up and over time lead to greater engine life. In time, it pays for itself many times over. You, sir, fail at logic and economics
Old 04-16-2015, 11:42 AM   #65
ToolFan66

This reminds me of the audio forum I'm a member of, and so many people calling hi end cables "snake oil" if they can't hear it then it must not be true..

Are you going to spend $10k-$20k or more on an audio system, and use cheap speaker wire from home depot? I think not.. LOL!!!

Last edited by ToolFan66; 04-16-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:48 AM   #66
aquaholic

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
I've got 60k on a L99 with no catch can, anyone want to take it apart to take a look? I'd like to add a catch can and look at it in another 60k.
aquaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:33 PM   #67
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
The Clean Side Separator (CCS) performs the same function as the catch can, but only at WOT when vacuum reverses. Drag racers developed this filter after discovering the deleterious effect crankcase effluent has on the octane (read: power) of the cylinder charge. GM supplies it as OE on the 1LE as it is presumably purchased for track use where WOT will be a common occurrence.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:40 PM   #68
GenF-GTS
Account Suspended

Drives: none
These threads are funny with several people saying you don't need a catch can.

Your theory of the car still runs is all well and good......but the question is how good?
Does it still make the same HP as day 1?

Did the catch can cars make the same HP as day 1?
GenF-GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:49 PM   #69
stoopid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpaint69 View Post
The same could be said in visiting the dentist for checkups. Some preventative maintenance goes a long way.
I haven't been to the dentist in a decade+ (no lie). I still have all my teeth.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:51 PM   #70
stoopid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolFan66 View Post
This reminds me of the audio forum I'm a member of, and so many people calling hi end cables "snake oil" if they can't hear it then it must not be true..

Are you going to spend $10k-$20k or more on an audio system, and use cheap speaker wire from home depot? I think not.. LOL!!!
Perfect example of why (I assume) you bought a catch can. You'll buy anything.