Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-15-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
SWHCPA
Snow White can be naughty

Drives: '10 Camaro/'67 Mustang
Send a message via AIM to SWHCPA Send a message via Yahoo to SWHCPA Send a message via Skype™ to SWHCPA
Safety, Handling and cooler weather

MODS - Please leave this one in "General" for a day or two so more can see it.

OK, Group,

The average daily temps have started dropping in the DFW area and the Camaro ride/handling was starting to feel a bit mushy. Checked the tpms and noted that the tire pressures had dropped 2-3 lbs per tire in 3 days. OK....now's the time to make sure you're on top of your game at this time of year and check the tire pressures frequently. It will make all the difference in the world on how your Camaro drives and handles.

Also, just priced a set of the Pirelli's in 20's for the 2LT/RS package....just a bit under $2,200.00 for a set of 4 at Discount Tire...the best pricing I've found across the board. They'll put their road hazard warranty on your tires now for less than 1/2 the price of 1 tire. Not an advertisement, just a suggestion as the P-Zero's are a bit soft and might have a problem with all the junk and crap that seems to be on the streets.

Be safe, improve your handling - check your tire pressures frequently until the fall/winter temps stabilize.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
insuring proper inflation also increases mpg.

and it is best to check with a good gauge by hand, the DIC is not always accurate (:
Old 09-15-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
thebighar

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 Nightfall Grey
What is the expected mileage for the 20" pirellis that come with the r/s package?
thebighar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
thanks for the info...
Old 09-15-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
orangetwk

Drives: 2010 IOM CAMARO
Find a shop that has nitrogen, it has very little change due to temp.
orangetwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:45 PM   #6
Abygale

Drives: .
Great tip. I just aired up my tires a week or so ago, they were low. I decided to do that to make sure there wasn't a leak or something (I'm not a car person) before I went to Nitrogen, and this morning when the car was cold they were down to 33-34 already. Thanks for posting this- it explains what I'm seeing. I think it's time for Nitrogen for me. BTW, I won't be driving this in the winter so I won't be changing the wheels and tires.

You are lucky to be in Texas where the winter temperatures "stabilize" they don't in Kansas. It can be 70 one day and freezing the next.
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:51 PM   #7
orangetwk

Drives: 2010 IOM CAMARO
I run a shop have not put nitro in my truck tires in approx. a year still at 58 psi.
orangetwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #8
SWHCPA

Send a message via AIM to SWHCPA Send a message via Yahoo to SWHCPA Send a message via Skype™ to SWHCPA
1) the 20" Pirelli's in the RS package have a 220 mileage rating...about 22-24,000 miles tops. They are really soft to cushion the ride.

2) check the door jamb sticker on the driver's side. you need to be at 36 psi, COLD...like before you start driving in the am. If you drive as much as 2 miles the psi will go up 2-3 psi. so, compensate accordingly.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:42 PM   #9
SWHCPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abygale View Post
Great tip. You are lucky to be in Texas where the winter temperatures "stabilize" they don't in Kansas. It can be 70 one day and freezing the next.
Thanks. I experienced one of those days in Wichita about 6-7 yrs ago...was very comfortable in the 70's one day and had 6" of heavy, wet snow overnight.

Tags
pirelli, tire pressure, tires, tpms