Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 01-30-2012, 06:37 AM   #169
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Looks really good, can't wait to hear it. I am glad you aren't having any drone issues...Usually mine would rone around 1800 rpms in 6th gear....Even my GM exhaust drones a little but I think all that is because of the cam.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #170
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightower View Post
JT here's the pics I took saturday of your exhaust install:
Thanks man! I appreciate it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
Looks really good, can't wait to hear it. I am glad you aren't having any drone issues...Usually mine would rone around 1800 rpms in 6th gear....Even my GM exhaust drones a little but I think all that is because of the cam.
Thanks John. I'm really surprised that it doesn't drone. It sounds really good...I think I'll keep it.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:56 PM   #171
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Exhaust video is finally done!!

Old 02-01-2012, 06:35 AM   #172
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Sounds good JT........Real Good.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:41 AM   #173
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
I agree! Sounds mean.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #174
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Quote:
Sounds good JT........Real Good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
I agree! Sounds mean.
Thanks guys!

I really like it.....now for a stage 2 cam in a year.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #175
ken53007

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
sounds good JT wonder about a cam my self lol
ken53007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #176
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Oh go get one now JT and quit whining......

and while your at it just do the cutouts as well.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #177
garcmol

I wouldn't mind a stage II cam, but I need 4 of them. A bit shorter than youz guyzes as well
Old 02-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #178
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
I wouldn't mind a stage II cam, but I need 4 of them. A bit shorter than youz guyzes as well
Twins.......just sayin
Old 02-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #179
garcmol

Quote:
Twins.......just sayin
Nah, not for me. For that coin I'd add 15k to it and have a used SS. Another 4k and I'd be at Vengeance. that makes more sense to me.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #180
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken53007 View Post
sounds good JT wonder about a cam my self lol
Thanks man.

Quote:
Oh go get one now JT and quit whining......

and while your at it just do the cutouts as well.
How much do Cams run (installed)? I see on websites that some comp cams are like $300-$500 but then I see people talking about cams costing about $3000 after its all said and done. Is that because they have a L99 and have to do the LS3 conversion? Or is that cost including hardened pushrods and what not?

Quote:
Quote:
Twins.......just sayin
Quote:
Nah, not for me. For that coin I'd add 15k to it and have a used SS. Another 4k and I'd be at Vengeance. that makes more sense to me.
See, that was what I thought. I rather spend the money and pick up a SS...then you can take the horsepower up and up...where as once you turbo a V6...I think you're pretty much at your HP limit.... (I think)

Oh, I think I need to re name my thread......its the JT, John, and Norm thread.... Maybe in 3 years when I throw a blower on it more people will stop by....
Old 02-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #181
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKid300 View Post
How much do Cams run (installed)? I see on websites that some comp cams are like $300-$500 but then I see people talking about cams costing about $3000 after its all said and done. Is that because they have a L99 and have to do the LS3 conversion? Or is that cost including hardened pushrods and what not?

JT...

Cost of doing cam swaps.......lemme see if I can explain

Yes cams are around 400.00 but that is not the only thing you NEED to change when doing this.

When Vengeance did mine they added an under drive pulley for more power...not needed but recommended.
They also change the stock oil pump with a Melling High Volume oil pump, again not needed but recommended.......after months of owing the cam swap many people started having problems with the stock oil pump failing and melting their motors...well if you cam swapped you were out of luck since you modded and warranty was gone.....so really this is a need a s well.

Then you have to change the valve springs because of the increase lift...basically stronger springs.

Have to have hardened pushrods, again for strength. Trunion upgrades...these are little parts that go on the lifters.

Since you are cracking the motor you will need to do a fluid change...don't have to but a great idea. New plugs to ensure your car is tuned properly.

You will need a tune plus some dyno time since each car is differently.

I also did a hose relocation kit to clean up the engine bay plus a few more things.

I can't remember exactly what it cost but all this increased power requires other things as well to include a CAI...more air in...and the headers ...for more air out.

Plus labor to install all of it. I have no clue what all has to come off to install a cam.

Hopefully this gives you some idea of what is kinda needed to swap cams.

The good thing about Ron @ Vengeance is they have done so many they know exactly what they need, plus the fact they only deal with LS motors so they kinda specialize in this area. If you shhot Ron an e-mail he can tell you exactly what he recommends on a cam swap and kinda give you an idea of cost...that way you know what you are looking at......I will say that Ron was great to work with on this.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #182
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKid300 View Post
Oh, I think I need to re name my thread......its the JT, John, and Norm thread.... Maybe in 3 years when I throw a blower on it more people will stop by....
LMAO....you seen Dr Jkels thread lately......aint getting no love since I am working on Mr Hyde so much..........but as they always tell me this aint facebook and at least I know the Real Friends are REAL....

Funny thing... I met someone at the ballpark and heard them talking about facebook and they were so mad that someone would become their friend......what a JOKE>