Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
jcthegrate

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT Cyber Gray Metallic
calling all audiophiles and music snobs....

Hey guys, I have so e pretty noob audio questions. What I'm looking for is a nice, clean, good quality, audio system that will give me true sound representation. I've Searched and searched but can't seem to find the right answers-..

My budget is going to be $1500-2000 installed. Yes, I'm gonna have it installed professionally because wiring and electrical things confuse me. There, I said it.

I have a 2011 1LT, stock base system without BA. I'm looking at replacing everything. I don't need Tooth rattling base, Nor do I want to be that guy with the loud@$$ music driving down the street. I'm looking for great, clean, crisp, audio. Especially at lower volumes. While it's nice to crank it up, I mostly listen at around the 18-25 volume range, if that helps for reference.

I think I decided on the Focal PC165s for the front. That's about as far as I got though...

Here's some questions:

Are the Focal PC165 worth the money?
Should I get matching brands for the 6x9s?
Front firing or rear firing sub's?
1 or 2 sub's? Right now I'm thinking 2 10s, front firing.
One amp to power everything,or one for sub's, one for speakers?
Can the stock head unit handle all these upgrades?
Any head units out there with more than a 5 band eq?
Anyone know and shops in socal/oc area where they do quality work at affordable prices?

Like I said, I have no idea about car audio and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
jcthegrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
thxultra

Drives: Mean ass V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthegrate View Post
Hey guys, I have so e pretty noob audio questions. What I'm looking for is a nice, clean, good quality, audio system that will give me true sound representation. I've Searched and searched but can't seem to find the right answers-..

My budget is going to be $1500-2000 installed. Yes, I'm gonna have it installed professionally because wiring and electrical things confuse me. There, I said it.

I have a 2011 1LT, stock base system without BA. I'm looking at replacing everything. I don't need Tooth rattling base, Nor do I want to be that guy with the loud@$$ music driving down the street. I'm looking for great, clean, crisp, audio. Especially at lower volumes. While it's nice to crank it up, I mostly listen at around the 18-25 volume range, if that helps for reference.

I think I decided on the Focal PC165s for the front. That's about as far as I got though...

Here's some questions:

Are the Focal PC165 worth the money?
Should I get matching brands for the 6x9s?
Front firing or rear firing sub's?
1 or 2 sub's? Right now I'm thinking 2 10s, front firing.
One amp to power everything,or one for sub's, one for speakers?
Can the stock head unit handle all these upgrades?
Any head units out there with more than a 5 band eq?
Anyone know and shops in socal/oc area where they do quality work at affordable prices?

Like I said, I have no idea about car audio and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Focal I'm a huge fan. I have a set of 165kr's and love them. The PC165 is a nice speaker. Focal highs and mids sound amazing. Had a set of PS165's in the past and found the tweeters to be a bit harsh but still way better then other speakers in that price range. I'm running a single JL 12w3 and it is plenty of bass for me. Guess it depends on how loud and how much bass you need. Get a quality sub and a single should be plenty. ******** has a nice stealth box that fits our cars perfectly. I'm running my setup with the stock head unit and a loc (I have the non BA system) sounds great but can hear a slight buzz at low volume that I was told by the installer is the head unit. Doesn't really bother me enough to drop the money on the metra kit and new head unit (metra kit alone is $350ish). For aftermarket speakers and a sub you will also need a amp. JL and Alpine make nice amps for the money. Audison is amazing but lots of money... Lots of head units with EQ... Personally a big fan of Alpine (great customer service) and Pioneer makes some nice stuff. Anyway hope this helps.
thxultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
Old as Dirt

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxultra View Post
Focal I'm a huge fan. I have a set of 165kr's and love them. The PC165 is a nice speaker. Focal highs and mids sound amazing. Had a set of PS165's in the past and found the tweeters to be a bit harsh but still way better then other speakers in that price range. I'm running a single JL 12w3 and it is plenty of bass for me. Guess it depends on how loud and how much bass you need. Get a quality sub and a single should be plenty. ******** has a nice stealth box that fits our cars perfectly. I'm running my setup with the stock head unit and a loc (I have the non BA system) sounds great but can hear a slight buzz at low volume that I was told by the installer is the head unit. Doesn't really bother me enough to drop the money on the metra kit and new head unit (metra kit alone is $350ish). For aftermarket speakers and a sub you will also need a amp. JL and Alpine make nice amps for the money. Audison is amazing but lots of money... Lots of head units with EQ... Personally a big fan of Alpine (great customer service) and Pioneer makes some nice stuff. Anyway hope this helps.

Your installer is feeding you a line of crap in regards to any type of "Buzzing" coming from the HU.. which LOC are you using and how long is the amp ground?

Just did a budget install on my Wife's Camaro, had less than 600.00 to work with, and it turned out great.. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312288

Last edited by Old as Dirt; 08-23-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old as Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
thxultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old as Dirt View Post
Your installer is feeding you a line of crap in regards to any type of "Buzzing" coming from the HU.. which LOC are you using and how long is the amp ground?

Just did a budget install on my Wife's Camaro, had less than 600.00 to work with, and it turned out great.. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312288
Ya kind of thought the same thing that it sounded like a ground issue. I'm not sure which loc they used since I had them do the install... Amp is on the back seat... Have to see where he ran the ground to. Is a long ground a issue? Anyplace recommended to ground the amp to?
Old 08-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
Old as Dirt

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Close as you can to the amp.. two feet long or less preferred.. just make sure you grind the paint off the area real good where the ground is attached..
Old as Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
thxultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old as Dirt View Post
Close as you can to the amp.. two feet long or less preferred.. just make sure you grind the paint off the area real good where the ground is attached..
Thanks I will be taking a look at that this weekend.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
jcthegrate

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT Cyber Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxultra View Post
I'm running a single JL 12w3 and it is plenty of bass for me. Guess it depends on how loud and how much bass you need. Get a quality sub and a single should be plenty. ******** has a nice stealth box that fits our cars perfectly.
can i ask where your sub is placed and which box you decided on?
jcthegrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
There are 3 protruding studs under the rear deck that make excellent amp grounds. I tested all of them, and they are better than most of the bolts in the trunk. I have a large subwoofer amp grounded there that has never been a problem. They should be close enough to ground your amp from the rear seat mount.
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #9
thxultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthegrate View Post
can i ask where your sub is placed and which box you decided on?

I just bought the JL audio setup with the box and sub ready to go (kind of a wedge shaped box). Takes up a good chunck of my trunk. Had it from another car or I would have gone with the ******** enclosure. Still sounds great. Have the sub firing towards the back of the car. If you use your trunk the ******** stealthbox will give you way more room then the box I'm using.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
thxultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzark99 View Post
There are 3 protruding studs under the rear deck that make excellent amp grounds. I tested all of them, and they are better than most of the bolts in the trunk. I have a large subwoofer amp grounded there that has never been a problem. They should be close enough to ground your amp from the rear seat mount.

Thanks I will check that out... From everything I read sounds like a ground issue for sure.