Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 12-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
Nomad

Drives: '11 2SS/RS RJT M6
Long Term Durability of Paint Chip Repairs

Hi all,
I'm looking at getting a paint chip repair system. I've been comparing Langka vs. Dr. Colorchip. Dr. Colorchip looks much easier to use but I would believe that Langka's long term durability is greater because it uses factory paint that requires 24 hours to cure vs Dr. Colorchip's 5 minute flash cured paint. Anyone have any long term issues with Dr. Colorchip or Langka?
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
denny2188

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro 2LT
used langka on a small chip about 2 months ago..so far no problem!!
denny2188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
cowjazz

Drives: 2010 2SS
Used Dr. Colorchip in September, no problems.
cowjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
used both, no issues with either...... DRC is much easier IMO

I've used the langka system to "cleanup" blobs left by other folks' messy attempts.

The paint used by DRC is no less quality than factory and requires the same amount of time to fully cure before waxing.

IMO, you need to let the DRC dry for an hour, your factory paint kit will flash dry in 5 minutes as well, just don't try to run anything over it....
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
Nomad

Drives: '11 2SS/RS RJT M6
Thanks for the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oplay View Post
used both, no issues with either...... DRC is much easier IMO

I've used the langka system to "cleanup" blobs left by other folks' messy attempts.

The paint used by DRC is no less quality than factory and requires the same amount of time to fully cure before waxing.

IMO, you need to let the DRC dry for an hour, your factory paint kit will flash dry in 5 minutes as well, just don't try to run anything over it....
Oh, on Dr. Colorchip's website, their instructional video states that you should let the paint dry for 5 minutes before sealing. They also state something about their "special" paint drying that quickly. Guess it's not that special. Thanks.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
I'd say as long as you give it MORE than ample drying time and then make sure to lay down a good coat of wax or sealant either is going to last a long time.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:27 PM   #7
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Thanks for the responses.

Oh, on Dr. Colorchip's website, their instructional video states that you should let the paint dry for 5 minutes before sealing. They also state something about their "special" paint drying that quickly. Guess it's not that special. Thanks.

Yeah, you COULD do it with only 5 minutes, but you won't get a good "fill",

They recommend up to 2 hrs wait time.

As for the paint, it may have something added that helps the activator.

The most important part of any touch up is to make sure the area is clean and wax free before filling.
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote