Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
Atlas
Would you kindly...

Drives: Destitute
V6 Mufflers. Stock cans, trick tips.

I've been wanting to do this mod ever since I drove the car off the lot. I absolutely hate the stock tips on the LLT. I've searched around but could never really find any details on replacing the stock tips. Admittedly, it's not a very popular mod. That being said, it turned out being exactly what I wanted. After considering an axle-back, and Borla mufflers, I couldn't convince myself either was what I wanted. I've owned three import cars before the Camaro. A 1982 rear wheel drive Celica, with a pacesetter system. The infamous Mk.III Turbo Supra with it's ability to blow a headgasket in a single bound. An 00' Toyota MR-2 Spyder where the intake is literally behind the driver's head. Equipped with an Apex WS2, full Injen CAI, MWR massaged head and MWR motor mounts, my ears would split under hard acceleration. So when it came to the V6 Camaro, I wasn't sure if I wanted to go down that same route and end up hating it in the long run. But one thing was for sure, the stock tips had to die.

I went through several muffler guys until I found someone who actually knew what they were doing, and they were damn good at it too. I fingered through their catalog and various online sites until I found the set of tips I was looking for. They weren't any of the big brand boys that like to stamp their name on everything. God knows I wouldn't put Magnaflow tips on an LLT suitcase. Below is the Part number and product description for those that likey.

Different Trends
Double Wall Angle Tip
DT-2501
ID: 2.50"
OD: 4.00"
OL: 5.25"

Installation wasn't as simple as sawzall and weld. The diffuser gets in the way big time. You could remove the diffuser entirely, but you'll need to keep mocking it back up during the installation process to make sure your tips are centered and whatnot. What I did is simple, albeit somewhat spartan. Remove all the 7mm self tappers from under the diffuser. There are tabs at the lateral ends of the diffuser, these tabs are the easiest to pull out. Once you've done that, you can manipulate the diffuser (pull away from the car...firmly but carefully as not to frack any of the other tabs) and this should be enough room to get a sawzall and mig welder in there.

Anyway, enough talk. Pics.

This is how it should have come from the factory. I plan to hit those silver bags with some flat black high temp so it doesn't look like I'm smuggling the good stuff in from Jalisco.

Questions, comments, criticisms...Go!

-One more thing. All the work was done by myself and Gary's Muffler in Fresno CA. Gotta plug that father and son team. They have attention to detail, no half ass-ery. Good people.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
J.L.TYCHE
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2011 Corvette
I like it,looks much better !! good idea
J.L.TYCHE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
so u had to weld them on? there are tips u can use without having to cut or weld.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
HEY!! That looks REALLY good!!! Nice job!
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
so u had to weld them on? there are tips u can use without having to cut or weld.
What? How do u expect to get the old tips off? The stock system is all one piece....
Old 03-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
AUS10BMX

Drives: 2010
Finally someone did this!

That looks awesome. I too was on the fence about a exhaust, and at the moment Im looking for one, but I really just want nicer looking tips. I posted a thread a while back asking if anyone had done this, but I don't think people understood cause everyone hates the exhaust, haha.

Im gonna go for this. Paint those cans for sure, I did mine semi-gloss and it looks 100x better!

I think these are it... http://dtexhaust.com/product_info.ph...fd02f5ccb9ecf1
They are free also...

Last edited by AUS10BMX; 03-05-2011 at 07:43 PM.
AUS10BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
What? How do u expect to get the old tips off? The stock system is all one piece....
they slide over the stock tip. Theres plenty of room around the tip in the valance. I will try to find the link for you.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
bmorecam
Account Suspended

go on ebay and type in item number 320661518456 no welding, drilling, or cutting. Only 64 bucks too. cadillacperformance.net actually sell them. Much easier than having to pay to cut and weld. u will b surprised at what u can find on ebay for camaro these days
Old 03-05-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Lol, wow
Old 03-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
Atlas
Would you kindly...

Drives: Destitute
Thanks all! So far this has been my favorite mod. Well, maybe until my AAC sidemarkers get here If I do decide to replace the stock cans my muffler guy said he can reuse the tips no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS10BMX View Post
Finally someone did this!

I think these are it... http://dtexhaust.com/product_info.ph...fd02f5ccb9ecf1
They are free also...
Those are the ones! Unfortunately, Different Trends only distributes wholesale. You should be able to go down to any muffler shop and order a set as they all should have the same distribution network I went out and bought a can of High Temp semigloss like you recommended. Should hide the mufflers real nice like.

bmorecam, I saw those quite a bit ago but didn't really go for the look. They're still a good idea for those wanting to replace their stock tip for something with a little more providence. I chose to weld mine as I wanted it to look as factory as possible
Old 03-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #11
bmorecam
Account Suspended

no doubt ur tips look better but I guess is a choice of one easy slip on or muffler shop with many choice of tips. At the end it probably wont matter to me since I might just go with aftermarket exhaust but I am still deciding. Louder and deeper rumble might b good at first but it get annoying after awhile. At least for me.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:38 PM   #12
AUS10BMX

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

Those are the ones! Unfortunately, Different Trends only distributes wholesale. You should be able to go down to any muffler shop and order a set as they all should have the same distribution network I went out and bought a can of High Temp semigloss like you recommended. Should hide the mufflers real nice like.
Yeah hopefully I can find these... they have the best look I've seen. I wanna do this soon at my shop. Being a welder helps, haha.
AUS10BMX is offline   Reply With Quote