Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 05-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #15
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exigent View Post
Thanks for the review, I've been waiting for someone to post their impressions of the 1LE. I've been tracking a GT3 for the last couple of years and keep looking at the 1LE wondering if I would be happy with it, sounds like I may not be based your observations.
Don't get me wrong, I am not disappointing in anyway with how my 1LE performed for the cost. It is well sorted and does everything it is suppose to do. If it was a GT3/Viper/ZL1/Z06/458 I would have expected more, but that "more" comes with a price. With everything I look for ways to improve it and was trying to note that above.

You are trying to compare a 3,050lb car to a 3850lb car. It is going to feel WAY different, but you may be surprised at how well the 1LE does. Just looking at the prices online today a 10 year old 996TT is going for the same price as a brand new 1LE (give or take) and a 996 GT3 is going for more than a new ZL1 (and much higher) but both Camaro come with a 5yr/100K drive line warranty. Again, the GT3 is sooooo different than a Camaro that I suggest you drive one on the street and you will know right away if you like it or not as the differences in feel will be apparent right from the get-go.

Now, maintenance and OEM parts and aftermarket parts are waaayyyy less expensive for a GM vehicle than a Porsche so that may be an advantage for you. Take one for a test drive....you will either love it or hate it.

-Matt
Old 05-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #16
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1leNPP View Post
Thank you for the info. A cheap way to make a little more HP and keep the stock valve train is to go with a LS9 cam......

You may want to go with a adjustable sway bars front and rear . Its look were stuck with ZL1 bars for now http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...l1-1410138.htm . I be looking forward to your UP Grades and how they work out for you.
I will look into the LS9 cam...but am torn on opening up the engine as I would like to keep a warranty for a little while...

I believe Pedders makes a swaybar for the rear of the car I was going to look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
interesting to read...wanna borrow my 1LE for a day? :P
Yes, Yes I do!:P)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post
no sh*t! Matt I installed Eibach lowering springs,American Racing LTs, Vmax throttle body and K&N intake kit.

Round 1 of bolt-ons complete....I need you to drive it though

Nice write up.
Thanks, I think you will be very happy with those mods you have listed as they seem to be just what a 1LE would need for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
Hey Matt,
Regarding your rear sway bar, from what I've heard from Pete at Pedders is if you put their 32mm ZL1 Rear bar on the 1LE it makes a nice improvement over the stock sway bar set up.
Yes, I plan on talking to him before my next outing at the end of June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdi View Post
Great write up and nice to hear a fairly unbiased impression......

What did you think of the stock tires?
Thank you, Stock tires were fine and predictable....I did add a little camber as mentioned above and the tires look good. I may add a hair more neg. camber (-1.6 / -1.7) for my next outing, but I still want it to be pleasant to drive on the street.

Quote:
I'm aware that long tubes and a tune are typically the most bang for buck, but would getting a custom ECU tune without any bolt on upgrades have any significant gains?
My understanding is no as they are tweaked well from the factory. Tuning a stock car only puts more strain on the motor. This info comes from a long time good friend of mine that has been involved with the LS motors for years. He has an Engine Dyno and a AWD Mustang dyno and has been tuning for 20+ years...NOW, he said these motors love to breath so heads, headers, cams or intake and a tune will do it wonders...

-Matt
Old 05-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #17
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exigent View Post
Thanks for the review, I've been waiting for someone to post their impressions of the 1LE. I've been tracking a GT3 for the last couple of years and keep looking at the 1LE wondering if I would be happy with it, sounds like I may not be based your observations.
Yes, that is one nice machine. Does the GT3 really MSRP at $130,400 ???
http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/911/911-gt3/

Maybe you should look into a fully optioned 2014 Z/28. Sounds like it would save you some decent money.
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #18
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
They say there are always two sides to a story. We always hear the manufacturer friendly reviews of pre-production, but rarely any qualified reports from the field.
This is quality information.
Bravo Matt

btw - how's the fluid reservoir look after the event.
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #19
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
Thanks for taking the time to share your personnal experience.
Well done.

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #20
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Comfort View Post
They say there are always two sides to a story. We always hear the manufacturer friendly reviews of pre-production, but rarely any qualified reports from the field.
This is quality information.
Bravo Matt

btw - how's the fluid reservoir look after the event.
Thank you....I am not the "average" GM/Camaro owner as I have gone full circle in automotive ownership and "toured the automotive globe" purchasing what I wanted without a brand loyalty. I buy something thinking 2,3,5,9 steps ahead as to what it is capable of, not just what it can do stock. Finally, cost is always a factor. The SS/1LE is a bang for the buck car that will hold its own against many more expensive vehicles. (Talking brand new cars that have a warranty also).

As far as the fluid, it still looked brand new yesterday....My wife and kids went to a movie so I could clean up and look over the car. Here she is back in the garage before the cover went on for the week.

-Matt
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #21
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
It was "tossable" but had more body roll than expected.
-Matt
Have you drove a SS without The 1LE track pack before?

To what car are you comparing it when you say this?

Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #22
mindless

Drives: 13 1LE
Fantastic write up! So good to read experiences of 1LE owners at road courses. With any luck soon we'll have a dedicated road course forum.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #23
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindless View Post
Fantastic write up! So good to read experiences of 1LE owners at road courses. With any luck soon we'll have a dedicated road course forum.
In the mean time: you are welcome to join to our Social club.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=244

Old 05-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #24
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikamaro View Post
Have you drove a SS without The 1LE track pack before?

To what car are you comparing it when you say this?
I have driven and SS, but not on the track. The statement was just based on my expectations derived from driving it on the street.

-Matt
Old 05-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #25
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Matt,

Ad a CAI intake, scoop and washer bottle relocate from Chase over at APEX and you will really wake her up. That will get you about another 15RWHP. Also do not forget to get an Elite Catch Can from Chase to make sure you are not putting oil into the dirty side of the PVC system.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #26
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
So far I'm having a very difficult time finding a true race brake pad. There is no application from Hawk, PFC, which is what I've used previously. PFC 01, or the blue HT 10.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the calipers on the 1LE the same as the ones on a regular SS? If so then the entire line of Hawk track pads will fit:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...utoModClar=2SS
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #27
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Matt,

Ad a CAI intake, scoop and washer bottle relocate from Chase over at APEX and you will really wake her up. That will get you about another 15RWHP. Also do not forget to get an Elite Catch Can from Chase to make sure you are not putting oil into the dirty side of the PVC system.
Intake is on the list of things to do....I need to get a baseline dyno number before any mods. I like to install a little at a time so I know what each and every part is actually doing for me as well as the shortcomings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim968 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the calipers on the 1LE the same as the ones on a regular SS? If so then the entire line of Hawk track pads will fit:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...utoModClar=2SS
Correct, same caliper as all SS models, just a color change.

Jim you disappeared from the other brake thread...Did you see the picture of your car I took at the NASA Grattan Event in 2007?

Matt
Old 05-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #28
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post

Jim you disappeared from the other brake thread...Did you see the picture of your car I took at the NASA Grattan Event in 2007?

Matt
Yes. I'm still trying to place you in my memory. Did you race a 944 for a short time?
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote